MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The New Union South

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

The New Union South

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Just got back from wandering through the mob. I had to check it out.

And I like it. It's bigger than the old one, it's got more nooks and crannies to hunker in, the food places look good, and the outdoor plazas are going to make for some good summertime conversations.

The climbing wall and pool tables looked good, but I don't know how long the bowling alleys are going to last. It's been a few years since I've gone bowling. I didn't know the technique had changed. Apparently you're supposed to see how far you can lob the ball in the air before it hits that wooden platform thing. Every alley was occupied and it was like being inside a kettle drum. One long series of BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM and then a quiet period where people get a chance to ask what those numbers mean.

I look forward to many years of humor and good stories.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The New Union South

Postby Lily » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Whatta mob!! Union South was PACKED!!! I think the new facility is going to be a big improvement for this end of campus. They'll have tons of room for Football Saturdays, and lots of meal choices: looked like NY style pizza by the slice, a soup and sandwich place using locally produced goods, an Asian wok-style restaurant (not serving yet), a coffee/wine bar, and a small convenience type shop. Plenty of room for hanging out. The concert hall has a large wooden floor and stage. There's a fantastic 2 or 3 story climbing wall located near the mall entrance. Too crowded to see much more than that. If they keep a good food quality and reasonable prices they are going to really do well.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:37 pm

The bldng is nice but there is no grass or green space there now so from me the project gets a big fat F for fail. UW is turning into a concrete jungle.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Shorty wrote:The bldng is nice but there is no grass or green space there now so from me the project gets a big fat F for fail. UW is turning into a concrete jungle.

There was very little before and you've got Camp Randall just to the southeast and the Engineering plaza just to the east.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Camp Randall is not open for public use and isn't it artificial turf? Engr plaza is ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. Having green space next to the union would be better.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Shorty wrote:Camp Randall is not open for public use and isn't it artificial turf? Engr plaza is ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. Having green space next to the union would be better.

"Camp Randall" as in the lovely green park to the east of the stadium, not the stadium itself.

The green union terrace chair is right -- there was basically no greenspace at Union South before, aside from a very small quadrangle of pretty pathetic grass in the southeast corner of the block. See here for what it looked like in 2005.

I spent a huge amount of time at Wendt library and Union South in the 90s (thus my foron name...) I'm looking forward to seeing the new Union next time I visit.

---------
Edited to fix URL
Last edited by kurt_w on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Shorty wrote:Camp Randall is not open for public use and isn't it artificial turf? Engr plaza is ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. Having green space next to the union would be better.

I meant the open park area of Camp Randall. Y'know, where the cannons are. There's all sorts of trees and grass and benches and shit.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Oh that area. Like Engr plaza, it's ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. I think there are few if any benches.

Right there wasn't much green space near the old Union South, but having some now would be nice. Otherwise, the new bldng is nice from what I have seen. I hope the food is better than before.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Shorty wrote:Oh that area. Like Engr plaza, it's ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. I think there are few if any benches.

Right there wasn't much green space near the old Union South, but having some now would be nice. Otherwise, the new bldng is nice from what I have seen. I hope the food is better than before.

Please list your top three spots to sit and relax and have snacks.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Shorty wrote:Oh that area. Like Engr plaza, it's ok for playing catch or frisbee but it's not a great place to sit and relax and have snacks. I think there are few if any benches.

Don't remember benches, but if you're willing to sit or lie on the grass, it's a perfectly lovely place to relax, read a book, have a snack, whatever. Lots of nice trees and plantings. Plus with all those cannons you can pretend you're fending off Pickett's Charge.

A picture!

As far as green space goes, about ten years ago, or whenever it was that they last repaved that whole section of West Dayton St, I tried to convince people that there was really no need for a street there at all ... it would have made a nice linear park extending east from the Camp Randall arch for three or four blocks. Nobody was interested, though.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm

kurt_w wrote:

Don't remember benches ...

There is a Daughters of the Confederacy (or something like that) memorial bench near a cluster of trees and I think another one over by the wooden gaol.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Please list your top three spots to sit and relax and have snacks.

At UW there is Memorial Union Terrace, Library Mall, and...not much else. Bascom hill maybe? That is why a nice green space right next to Union South would be nice.

Also, what are they doing the near the SERF and the South East dorms? There is a new grassy space but it's like a big ditch and doesn't seem very usable. Some nice outdoor athletic space would be nice there like they have next to the Nat. Instead, I heard the open space East of the Nat will be reduced for a new dorm. The sand volleyball courts will be lost and tennis courts reduced.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Shorty wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Please list your top three spots to sit and relax and have snacks.

At UW there is Memorial Union Terrace, Library Mall, and...not much else. Bascom hill maybe? That is why a nice green space right next to Union South would be nice.

Shorty, the park by Camp Randall is much greener and much quieter than either the Terrace or Library Mall, and it's right next to Union South. You're being a little inconsistent here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Library Mall has green spaces and good places to sit. The terrace has good places to sit, doesn't have grass but has the lake for natural scenery and enjoyment. Maybe the terrace and Lib mall aren't very green or quiet but are a good place to sit and relax. The only noise is people talking or music, not much car noise.

Camp randall isn't 'right' next to Union South. You have to go past Wendt library, cross a busy street, and walk up the path.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Shorty wrote:Also, what are they doing the near the SERF and the South East dorms? There is a new grassy space but it's like a big ditch and doesn't seem very usable. Some nice outdoor athletic space would be nice there like they have next to the Nat. Instead, I heard the open space East of the Nat will be reduced for a new dorm. The sand volleyball courts will be lost and tennis courts reduced.

That will be the site of the new Gordon Commons. The current Gordon Commons will be demolished and turned into green space.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe