MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What does downtown need?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Does downtown need more Grocery stores?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:47 pm

YES
73%
NO
13%
Who cares?
13%

Total votes : 15

What does downtown need?

Postby Digger » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:47 pm

I think downtown needs to attract some more grocers. All these people moving downtown must get fustrated when they need to hop in their cars to get some milk and cookies!

What do you think we need to have more of? :?:
Digger

Postby skrattypants » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:50 pm

the downtown doesn't need more grocers--it has plenty of shops for milk and cookies, smokes and tampons. it needs cheaper grocers, but it ain't gonna happen.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:23 pm

Man cannot live on tampons alone. Cap Ctre just doesn't cut it for me, and I hate having to drive to Hilldale or ShopKo Dr for a real grocery trip. On the plus side, Pinkus McBride is a great little corner store. You'll never want for bananas in my 'hood.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Why won't it happen? I think it could!

Postby Digger » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:47 pm

skrattypants wrote:the downtown doesn't need more grocers--it has plenty of shops for milk and cookies, smokes and tampons. it needs cheaper grocers, but it ain't gonna happen.
:)
Digger

Postby Paco » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:28 am

to get cheap food prices, you need a large grocery store, and where would it go? There's no room. A large grocery store would pay thru the nose for all that land it would require, and would have to put prices high for it.

I've always said downtown needs more downtown. 7 blocks of State for retail is woefully inadequate. If you're more than half a block off State, there's usually nothing-a darn shame. It's becoming less and less a destination for most people. How many guatemalan blankets does a guy need anyway?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:03 am

212 E. Washington is empty... :wink: I'd like to think it's more a matter of WHEN not IF something is going to get done grocery-retail-wise downtown. I'd love to see a Water Tower type place, such as Chicago's. It wouldn't have to be at that scale and there are places on E. Wash. that look like they'd have the space. (I'm just dreaming here but, it does look like there are a lot of rotten old places, that don't look like they're doing much over here.) Or how about that damn empty space on the corner of Main & Pinckney?! I think it's just waiting to happen.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:20 pm

Me want grocery store!
There's room.
If we can perhaps take a day off from erecting five billion more faux historic high rise apartment buildings, we might be able to squeeze a grocery store in.
Maybe not an entire Woodman's.
Maybe a Woodboy's.

Cap Center is okay and is a lot better than it used to be but it's still just a glorified Open Pantry.
I don't need anything special.
Just more stuff cheaper.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Thats bull!

Postby Digger » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:59 pm

Grocery Stores can co-exist together! First floor retail with residential above.
Why would you be against more people living downtown!
Frankly, there is a need for grocery AND many, many more people to live donwtown.
Thats what makes downtown-------DOWNTOWN!
Cheap grocerys is not necessary, grocery selection at a fair price is needed.

blunt wrote:Me want grocery store!
There's room.
If we can perhaps take a day off from erecting five billion more faux historic high rise apartment buildings, we might be able to squeeze a grocery store in.
Maybe not an entire Woodman's.
Maybe a Woodboy's.

Cap Center is okay and is a lot better than it used to be but it's still just a glorified Open Pantry.
I don't need anything special.
Just more stuff cheaper.
Digger

Postby Ned. Flanders » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:52 pm

i think downtown could use a super walmart. an affordle place to get anything students might need around the house and in the kitchen. perhaps there is some room to build one on picnic point somewhere.
Ned. Flanders

Postby Beatrix Kiddo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:39 pm

Ned. Flanders wrote:i think downtown could use a super walmart. an affordle place to get anything students might need around the house and in the kitchen. perhaps there is some room to build one on picnic point somewhere.

And really, affordlety is all we want.

As Bart Simpson once said, "if he's not Flanders, he's done his homework." You may be a fake Flanders, "Ned.", but you spell about like the real one.
Beatrix Kiddo
Forum Addict

Postby guacamole » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:21 pm

I would've loved a real grocery store downtown when I lived there. I have to think, though, that because access to and parking in the downtown area really sucks, it'd be touch-and-go as to whether one could make it by virtue of the downtown population alone. Now that I'm not downtown, I sure as heck won't make the 15-minute drive to the downtown in order to pay for parking 2 blocks from the store when I can drive 5 minutes to Woody's or Copp's and park for free 100 feet from the door. For the same reason, I don't think a Target or anything else that's more easily accessible elsewhere would make it either.

I suppose that at least in the case of the grocery careful consideration of its size and location vs. demand could lead to a successful addition.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Good Point

Postby Digger » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:56 am

You make some good points.

Why does everyone think parking and traffic are so bad in Madison?

Have you people ever lived in any BIG cities? Traffic and parking are wonderful in Madison compared to the Windy City or Boston.

I know people who have to pay $20 per day to park and walk 4 blocks to their office.

I think traffic is great BUT everyone must complain about something, right.

guacamole wrote:I would've loved a real grocery store downtown when I lived there. I have to think, though, that because access to and parking in the downtown area really sucks, it'd be touch-and-go as to whether one could make it by virtue of the downtown population alone. Now that I'm not downtown, I sure as heck won't make the 15-minute drive to the downtown in order to pay for parking 2 blocks from the store when I can drive 5 minutes to Woody's or Copp's and park for free 100 feet from the door. For the same reason, I don't think a Target or anything else that's more easily accessible elsewhere would make it either.

I suppose that at least in the case of the grocery careful consideration of its size and location vs. demand could lead to a successful addition.
Digger

Re: Good Point

Postby guacamole » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:12 pm

$20 and 4 blocks might be the price you pay to live elsewhere. It's not the price you pay to live in Madison. As you point out, it's not a big city. Also, it seem to me that the traffic situation downtown isn't as much a factor of size as it is of geography.

If I lived in Chicago, I wouldn't drive downtown to buy groceries or visit a department store more easily and freely in the suburbs. Doesn't matter where I live, I will go for things that are more easily accessible. Want to attract me to a place I find inconvenient for some reason? Offer something I can't get elsewhere.

Digger wrote:You make some good points.

Why does everyone think parking and traffic are so bad in Madison?

Have you people ever lived in any BIG cities? Traffic and parking are wonderful in Madison compared to the Windy City or Boston.

I know people who have to pay $20 per day to park and walk 4 blocks to their office.

I think traffic is great BUT everyone must complain about something, right.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe