MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What do you like about your neighborhood?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: What do you like about your neighborhood?

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Hill Farm. Walking distance to a good school, parks, shops, bus lines, etc. Easy commutes for both myself and my spouse, due to where we work. Lots of families with kids. Nobody bothers me about having weeds in my lawn. People are generally tolerant and laid back.

And we're not too far from other cool neighborhoods as well, especially now that the kids are getting more and more mobile on their bikes.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 pm

This thread has made me miss some of these very fine neighborhoods which I have lived in my years in Madison.

Vilas, near 2 lakes and the zoo and a brother, still walking distance to the UW.

Atwood, the Barrymore, the Harmony, Monty's, and another brother. Still biking distance to the downtown and UW.

Eken Park, my first house, great neighbors, and the another brother. Still biking and occasionally walking distance from the the downtown and the UW.

Now I live in the outlands but I still love my neighbors. They just happen to live a little farther away. I don't bike but I can walk to some of their houses.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mlmaguire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 am

I can't read the previous posts and not give a shoutout to the Northside (and that's the proper spelling!) Bought a small house off Aberg after seeing nothing but shitholes (for the price) in other areas. Turns out this is one sweeeeet location. Small houses, good people that take pride in what they have. Bus hub is across the street (although some of my neighbors hate it). Plenty of grocery/shopping options, and the Northside Farmer's Market ROCKS. Warner Park is up the road, and I live far enough away to be amused by Rhythm and Booms and Mallards, but I have neighbors closer that get real irritated by the noise at times. But Warner is a beautiful park and I invite, nay COMMAND, everyone to go there and experience it firsthand. Good choice of great restaurants within walking distance: La Bellitalia, Vientiene Palace, Smoky Jon's, even QQ is good for a buffet. And now that a certain troublesome liquor-slinging establishment has kindly been closing early, in the evenings it is city-serene, even with the occasional Oscar truck going past. I spend plenty of evenings in the back yard being thankful that I moved here. Sometimes I get a little wistful for downtown, then realize that I am no longer of an age where I would be amused by all-night house parties. To summarize: "Northside: don't dis it until you've tried it, cuz then you'll realize you are SO wrong..."
mlmaguire

Previous

Return to Town Vibe