MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

High speed chase in a residential neighborhood!?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

High speed chase in a residential neighborhood!?

Postby Galoot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

My brother's car was parked on the curb last night (he's trying to sell it) and around 8 PM, we heard sirens, tires screeching, and a huge crash.

Apparently Madison police ID'd a stolen vehicle on the north end of Allied Drive, and turned on their lights. The guy sped away, and the cops gave chase, apparently at 100+mph down Allied Drive. The guy didn't make the corner at Crescent--he took out a small tree, the bus stop sign, then plowed into my brother's car. He got out and ran away through the neighborhood, and from what I gather, is still at large.

I talked to a young woman cop who was in the second chase car, and she admitted that if it were up to her, they'd have broken off the chase. Well yeah! What if there had been people waiting at the bus stop that the guy plowed right through? At 8 PM on a Friday, there are nearly always kids and teenagers out on the sidewalks.

Of course my brother's car wasn't insured for comprehensive, since it is only worth $900 max. But that's $900 that is gone now.

I doubt I have much recourse, but I wish that one Madison cop had used better judgment in deciding whether to continue pursuit. I don't see why a stolen car is worth risking the lives of people in the neighborhood.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: High speed chase in a residential neighborhood!?

Postby Igor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm sure Walter can weigh in with much more experience in this area.

If a criminal knows that all they have to do to get away is drive fast, that will not exactly increase public safety either.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I think the point is to NOT push criminals to drive that fast, in a residential neighborhood.

There are lots of things that criminals can do to avoid getting caught, such as going onto a freeway in the wrong direction. Cops will break off a chase in that situation, rather than risking head-on collisions.

Although it took a while for California cops to come to that realization. My poor sister was going up 101 around ten years ago, fortunately in the #2 lane, and had someone come at her at very high speed in the fast lane, followed by several cop cars. A chase like that is just insane.

The Madison policewoman I talked to said they break off pursuit of motorcycles, too, if it becomes high speed.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Galoot wrote:I think the point is to NOT push criminals to drive that fast, in a residential neighborhood.

There are lots of things that criminals can do to avoid getting caught, such as going onto a freeway in the wrong direction. Cops will break off a chase in that situation, rather than risking head-on collisions.

Although it took a while for California cops to come to that realization. My poor sister was going up 101 around ten years ago, fortunately in the #2 lane, and had someone come at her at very high speed in the fast lane, followed by several cop cars. A chase like that is just insane.

The Madison policewoman I talked to said they break off pursuit of motorcycles, too, if it becomes high speed.

Fair enough - but if you make it known that "officers will break off pursuit in a residential area with speeds in excess of ____", you can guess where criminals will drive, and how fast. I think you have to leave some discretion up to the officer.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 pm

When people are desperate enough to try outrunning a cop, I'd guess the last thing they are concerned about is the speedometer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Even if they do break off the chase, sometimes the person being chased doesn't realize it and keeps on speeding until some disaster happens.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:36 pm

I still think Madison Police are far more likely to pursue an 80 mph chase down Allied than they are down, say, Willy St.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't know enough details to comment at this point.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:27 pm

That's fine, Walter, I completely understand. The police report isn't filed online yet.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 pm

So is your point that the chase happened at all, or the location of the chase?
Galoot wrote:I still think Madison Police are far more likely to pursue an 80 mph chase down Allied than they are down, say, Willy St.
Also, I truly believe, that had this been your car that was stolen, and the officer said "he got going kinda fast, so we let him go" and then followed that statement up with "by now I'm sure your car is out of state with no hope of recovery" you would have a slightly different POV - especially if, like your brother, your car was only insured for comprehensive..

It all depends on where you're standing.
bcs89

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 am

Gunning it up to 80 from the north end of Allied to Crescent...you're talking 20-25 seconds, tops. Even if the cops had pulled up half way down Allied, this was still gonna happen.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:51 pm

According to this article, the police DID back off. Hmmm, sounds fishy.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 002e0.html
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah, the police report says the same thing, that the cops backed off:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentre ... m?id=12423

But I know for a fact that they did NOT back off, from two sources. One was the young policewoman in the 2nd pursuit vehicle, who said they should have backed off, and would have if it had been her in the lead vehicle.

The 2nd person was someone on a ride-along (I have no idea why) who by a bizarre coincidence, I met at the Verona dog park on Sunday. He said that they kept up pursuit because the person was driving crazy (starting out by peeling out from the Mobil station) and because he was driving crazy, for some reason they had to keep up the pursuit.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Galoot wrote:Yeah, the police report says the same thing, that the cops backed off:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentre ... m?id=12423

But I know for a fact that they did NOT back off, from two sources. One was the young policewoman in the 2nd pursuit vehicle, who said they should have backed off, and would have if it had been her in the lead vehicle.

The 2nd person was someone on a ride-along (I have no idea why) who by a bizarre coincidence, I met at the Verona dog park on Sunday. He said that they kept up pursuit because the person was driving crazy (starting out by peeling out from the Mobil station) and because he was driving crazy, for some reason they had to keep up the pursuit.

Wow, The stars certainly did align for you! To be able to expose the ugly underbelly of law enforcement, here in our fair city. Your story has it all - crazed cops, drunk on power and speed, the good/honest officer waiting in the back ground to decry the madness of her out of control brother's in arms, and "Bizarre Coincidence", that puts you in the same place, at the same time, as the one disinterested party that can tie everything together by the pure chance of being in the back seat when it all went down. Then, the Coup de grâce - Proof, in a public release, of just how far these maniacs will go to cover up the horrific results of their lust for the chase. I don't know that I'll ever be able to look a police officer from our (formerly) fair city in the eye again.

The shame.

The horror.

I can only hope that Walter is not immersed in this cesspool of deceit and lies..
bcs89

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Igor wrote:
Galoot wrote:I think the point is to NOT push criminals to drive that fast, in a residential neighborhood.

Fair enough - but if you make it known that "officers will break off pursuit in a residential area with speeds in excess of ____", you can guess where criminals will drive, and how fast. I think you have to leave some discretion up to the officer.

Honestly, I can't guess. This particular criminal drove down Allied Drive at 100 MPH, which was in all likelihood the upper limit for the car. Was it because he expected to be pursued, or not?

Galoot, I'm glad nobody got hurt.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe