MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

How is train noise in Milwaukee St/Atwood area?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

How is train noise in Milwaukee St/Atwood area?

Postby Lapis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Hello out there

I am considering buying a house on Milwaukee Street, according to Google maps it's about 150 m off the train tracks. I called the Southern Wisconsin train line, and they told me they send about 4-6 Trains through that area per day at all hours

I'm wondering if anybody lives there or has friends who live there and how that train noise is? Is it the kind of thing that blows you out of your house?

This is the area I am talking about, it's near the corner of Milwaukee Street and Dixon

Thanks for any feedback!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=290 ... CBsQ8gEwAA
Lapis

Re: How is train noise in Milwaukee St/Atwood area?

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:41 pm

West of the corner of Milwaukee/Dixon it would be pretty muffled and definitely not blowing you out of your house. East, towards the crossing on Milwaukee st will get louder. The houses I can think of that are for sale are east of Dixon. The horns don't bother me but some are definitely louder/longer than others. You can tell at night that some engineers are trying to be polite and give the minimum warning, while others are just giving a big Fuck You to all the complainers.

You'd be about 2 blocks east of the flight path too, fyi. Milwaukee st. gets very busy as well so you've got the whole movie title thing going on.

It's a nice affordable area at the moment though. You can walk the creek corridor from Milwaukee st. through to the back of Olbrich Gardens without feeling like you're in the middle of the city.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lapis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Okay thank you, that was very helpful!
Lapis

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm in the Barrymore/Jeni Market neighborhood and I barely know the train is there.

I sure as hell know we got an airport, though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:30 pm

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 pm

My sister used to live on Corry St. just south of and in the same block as the train tracks. We didn't find the trains annoying at all, but when a plane was coming in to land you'd have to stop talking for a minute or so until it passed over. That house was right exactly under the flight path, and even a block away it was much quieter. The location you indicate is more like three blocks away but I'm not sure exactly how the flight path crosses the street grid so you'd have to check for yourself how loud the planes are.

We both loved that house and if it was for sale today I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It was a nice neighborhood then and it's even nicer now with the Goodman Center, community gardens, the bike path and several parks nearby.

Noise is really subjective. If you are an extremely sensitive person maybe it's not a good location, but if you're like me (average) it would be fine.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Back in my rental days I lived close to and between Meriter and St. Mary's. After a while one didn't even notice the ambulance sirens.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm a couple blocks east of the Malt House. Trains are a rare annoyance. My top peeve used to be those window-rattling boom-boom car stereos, but thankfully that fad seems to be fading. Maybe the knobs who own them can't afford to drive around as much anymore.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm

I spent a couple of years on Fair Oaks about 50 feet from Milwaukee. I occasionally heard the trains, but they never bothered me.

The F-16s could be deafening at times though. I distinctly recall one night when they must've been doing touch-and-gos - and at an hour far later than you're expect. (It was after 9, nearing 10 if I recall.) Just endless cycles of the plane passing overhead, getting quiet and then loudly taking off again.

Even then, the planes seemed to have short bursts of activity followed by months of absence. The non-stop noise of the traffic on Fair Oaks was far more annoying than anything else.
Petro
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe