MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm

fennel wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Yup, that's why I specified first person at the light.

In which case I usually choose left... but then it's not uncommon for one or more left-turners to queue up behind me, and if that happens, the next straight-crosser to show up generally chooses the right lane so as not to get held up behind the lefties. And even if there aren't left turners behind me, I've had people pull up beside me in the right lane to go straight, probably thinking I must be turning left but haven't signaled. ...
Yes, sorry.
I'd say you've got it right. I can imagine myself taking advantage of the right lane to go straight, but I would defer to anyone in the left lane before merging left.

Yer all over-thinking it. Straddle both lanes and to hell with everyone else, that's what I say.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Detritus wrote:Yer all over-thinking it. Straddle both lanes and to hell with everyone else, that's what I say.

Are you going all high-rise on our asses, or what? Baldwin Street isn't that far out.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 pm

fennel wrote:
Detritus wrote:Yer all over-thinking it. Straddle both lanes and to hell with everyone else, that's what I say.

Are you going all high-rise on our asses, or what? Baldwin Street isn't that far out.

Just bridging the left-right divide in my own special way....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 am

Ducatista wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I would say the right lane, as traffic going straight and turning right can travel unimpeded (oncoming traffic turning left must yield).

Sure, when the light's green. But if the light's red and I'm going straight in the right lane, I might be holding up someone who could turn right on red.

With your politics I'm surprised you'd go out of your way to help someone trying to go to the right.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 am

Well played, Ned.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 am

Ducatista wrote:Well played, Ned.

There's no need to resort to name-calling.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Ha, withdrawn.

(But it was actually a bit of a compliment, because much as he drives me crazy with that boilerplate crap, when Ned goes off script I think he can be pretty funny.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am

Ducatista wrote: Let's say you're pulling up to a red light at the Baldwin/E Wash intersection

When did you come this far out? Were you on vacation?

Sun Prairie's "downtown" is a little further out, btw.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Ha, smart guy. I make Willy St supply runs every month or two. Co-op, Star Liquor, Mad Cat. I usually do it loop style, taking Johnson to Baldwin to Willy and then heading home up Willy/Wilson/King and around the outer loop. I don't miss living in the Jenifer/Spaight 'hood, but I'm glad we spent a few years there. Even a dozen years later, Willy St still feels homey.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

My peeve is having to carry cash, just in case of "event parking."
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:My peeve is having to carry cash, just in case of "event parking."

So you're the guy who always pulls out his credit card for chump change purchases.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 pm

LOL, to be honest, I don't make a lot of purchases, and I don't always have cash in my wallet.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

It's so cool that you've got Walter the cop on here and that he’s just a normal, decent guy. And I’m not just kissing ass hoping to get out of a possession ticket someday, I think it’s great for a community to be able to have an informal back and forth with law enforcement and rebut some of those negative cop stereotypes floating around out there.

But I have a question for you Walter, and it’s one that I’ve tried to take up with MPD via the online form and got no response (I don’t think those attempts were ignored, but probably just failed to transmit properly – might be time for a site update). Anyway, my question is general but I’ll use a specific example that I deal with all the time to illustrate it.

Flat iron corners at North Hamilton, East Johnson, and Butler – if I’m driving north on Hamilton (down the hill, towards Pinkus McBride and the lake) and I want to turn right onto East Johnson I need to be in the right lane, correct? The left lane isn’t designated for right turns in any way and the flat iron corners don’t change anything, do they? I’ve always considered a right turn from the left lane there to be an illegal turn but I see numerous people do it pretty much every single time I’m at that intersection. I’ve even seen quite a few squad cars pull the exact same maneuver (sometimes without even using a turn signal). And that’s fine because I turn from right lane to right lane, like I was instructed all those years ago. But occasionally some idiot on a bike will be riding against traffic in that right lane, or someone will step out into the street, mid-block, without looking as Madisonians seem prone to do, and then it’s a serious problem because the car that should be behind me is actually right beside me and I have no where else to go. Am I completely off base here?

I’m sure you’re busy so if you miss this question I won’t take it personally, but does anyone else know what I’m talking about, and the proper, legal way that a situation like that should be navigated? I don’t see anything in the statutes to indicate that a right turn from the left lane would be legal in that situation but maybe I’m missing something.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kashka-Kat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:08 am

In Madison, a yellow light means accelerate, and red means "two more get to go through." It's really annoying. Especially when the third one who apparently can't count gets stranded in the middle and just sits there like a beached whale. Idiot!

In Madison, turn signals are frowned upon and rarely used. You have to watch the tires of cars in the next lane, or ahead of you, in relation to the lines on the road to see if they're creeping or veering in one direction or another. If so, that's your clue they're going to make a move.

Or not...
Kashka-Kat

Postby wallrock » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 am

This wasn't in Madison proper but on Hwy 12 last night I passed someone driving northbound in the left southbound lane. It was a real WTF moment. I didn't get a good look at the driver but he might have looked like this:
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe