MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 am

Shit, I just leave it blinking the whole time I'm on the road.

People need to watch out.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am

jman111 wrote:
BoogieBoy wrote:Please explain to me how going straight on red with a walk sign is unsafe.

Oncoming traffic could have a green left turn arrow (this is assuming the walk signal is only on one side of the street- your left). I've seen this when waiting at a red light. The walk signal allows for peds crossing on my left and oncoming traffic has green to turn left (across your intended path).

Thank you, didn't consider that. If you're traveling on a one way street like Fairchild it should be safe to go straight on red with walk signals on your left and right, but I'll concede that it's getting too convoluted to be realistic.
BoogieBoy

Postby Ninja » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 am

BoogieBoy wrote:
jman111 wrote:
BoogieBoy wrote:Please explain to me how going straight on red with a walk sign is unsafe.

Oncoming traffic could have a green left turn arrow (this is assuming the walk signal is only on one side of the street- your left). I've seen this when waiting at a red light. The walk signal allows for peds crossing on my left and oncoming traffic has green to turn left (across your intended path).

Thank you, didn't consider that. If you're traveling on a one way street like Fairchild it should be safe to go straight on red with walk signals on your left and right, but I'll concede that it's getting too convoluted to be realistic.

I was thinking of the green arrow scenario, but also of all the streets around the square that are set up to allow all crosswalks in all directions to have walk signs by holding all traffic in all directions with red lights. It's been that way for years and years.

But the green arrow topic brings up another of my pet peeves. Having a green arrow does not absolve you of your responsibility to turn only from the nearest lane to the nearest lane. Often traffic in both directions has a green arrow (ie, Midvale and University in front of Copps, Park and Johnson in front of the SE dorms) because drivers are expected to understand and follow the law, not take wide turns into the most convenient lane on the far side of the roadway just because they have a green arrow.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 am

BoogieBoy wrote:Ninja, it's not just me. I continue to observe drivers fooled by the walk sign. These aren't bad drivers. These are conditioned drivers who have had the traditional system changed on them without warning. The new system should be tweaked in the name of efficiency. Safety is top priority, efficiency is second. Having to wait at a red light for 10 extra seconds at Fairchild & West Washington when going straight is inefficient. Is it a huge deal? No. Is it realistic to expect a change? No, exemplified by your mind being blown.

Sorry, but I would call those bad drivers. Driving is an active pursuit. If you're regularly going into auto-pilot or taking little mental shortcuts then you're doing it wrong.

I agree with you in general that it's a bad idea to drop traffic novelties on unsuspecting drivers, but this is not a novelty, it's just the way traffic lights work. If that doesn't square with your conditioning, then your conditioning needs to change.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Was just thinking they might as well have all walk signals on in all directions, glad to hear they already do.

I live near Midvale and University and there are collisions all the time because of wide turns.

I wouldn't feel too safe turning left in the green arrow intersection described by jman111. Would definitely recommend keeping eyes peeled for conditioned drivers on your left.
BoogieBoy

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:24 pm

So, you propose driving through intersections on red lights, but wouldn't feel safe obeying a green arrow? I think you need to reexamine your driving strategies.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 pm

jman111 wrote:So, you propose driving through intersections on red lights, but wouldn't feel safe obeying a green arrow? I think you need to reexamine your driving strategies.

The lead car when that arrow turns green is less safe because of the walk-before-green on the perpendicular side. Absolutely.

I withdrew my red light proposal after learning there are walk signals activated in all directions.
BoogieBoy

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:01 pm

As an aside, in Seattle they have many intersection with 4 way walk signs. When lit, it is legal to walk diagonally across the intersection because traffic is stopped all around. It was a weird experience doing it at a major intersection.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 pm

BoogieBoy wrote:The lead car when that arrow turns green is less safe because of the walk-before-green on the perpendicular side. Absolutely.

I don't think you understand. Let's try visual aids.
In my scenario, you'd be on the right, waiting to head "west" through the intersection. The peds on your left could cross (left-right, the green arrow), but you couldn't proceed through the red light because of oncoming left turners.

There is no risk for the oncoming traffic turning left (from the "west" heading "north", the white turning arrow). The only peds are those to the right of the left-turning cars. No safety issue that I can see.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Stebben84 wrote:As an aside, in Seattle they have many intersection with 4 way walk signs. When lit, it is legal to walk diagonally across the intersection because traffic is stopped all around. It was a weird experience doing it at a major intersection.

I experienced that in the financial sector of San Francisco while visiting years ago. It was weird to see the whole intersection fill with peds while waiting at a red light.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks, jman. I was picturing a green arrow coupled with a red light for traveling straight. And the conditioned driver in my incorrect visual was traveling perpendicular to the green arrow traffic.
BoogieBoy

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:38 pm

In both our scenarios I believe there's a danger that the walk signal to the left of the conditioned driver could be an issue, but the don't walk sign on the right should lower the probability.
BoogieBoy

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Madison comes in at #5 on this list of cities with the best drivers.

Ninja threatens to sue Allstate in 3....2....1....
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm

O.J. wrote:Madison comes in at #5 on this list of cities with the best drivers.

Ninja threatens to sue Allstate in 3....2....1....

Try harder to keep my name out of your mouth, you creepy fucking stalker.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Madison would rank even higher on that list, if we didn't have angry drivers like Ninja on the road.

Every single thing that people have mentioned here bugs the hell out of me, to the point that I’m angry every time I get behind the wheel, and growing more and more confrontational.

Please tell me you're going to keep this promise:

I just need to bounce before it goes total Bad Moon on me, and I promise to do that before it reaches a point where you and I have to meet in less pleasant circumstances.

You're getting dangerously close to the breaking point.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe