MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Sorry, but it's been one-way far longer than that.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:I could swear the traffic on the square was two way when I was a tweenager, mid- to late 1970s. Am I crazy?

Yeah, but it's way more one-way now.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Bland wrote:
snoqueen wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:I could swear the traffic on the square was two way when I was a tweenager, mid- to late 1970s. Am I crazy?

Yeah, but it's way more one-way now.

It's the George Clooney of streets.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Not necessarily a peeve but this happened in the right turn lane of the square, so:

I pulled into the right lane to turn right onto E. Wash tonight at 5pm. There was a guy on a motorcycle sitting in the lane to go straight (again, in the right turn or bus only lane). Plenty of room for me to pull next to him to wait for the light to turn green.

Him: "Excuse me?"

Me (rolling down my window): "Yes?"

Him: "Just because I'm on a bike doesn't mean I don't have rights. This is my lane."

Me: "If you were in a car I'd have pulled up into the same spot if there was enough room."

Him: "You're a dickhead."

Me: "You too."

Green light and....close.

If you're breaking the rules of the road, don't preach to me about your rights on a cycle, assuming that just because I'm in a car I think you've got none.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

pjbogart wrote:4. Police car parades. Oh my God, there's a police car behind me, I better drive 10 mph under the speed limit! Pretty soon you've got a stack of about 20 cars going 25 mph down Fish Hatch. I suspect police find this even more irritating than I do because they have to deal with it all day long.

Guilty. It's a habit ingrained from my teenage years. Where I grew up, they'd tail you for miles.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:
pjbogart wrote:4. Police car parades. Oh my God, there's a police car behind me, I better drive 10 mph under the speed limit! Pretty soon you've got a stack of about 20 cars going 25 mph down Fish Hatch. I suspect police find this even more irritating than I do because they have to deal with it all day long.

Guilty. It's a habit ingrained from my teenage years. Where I grew up, they'd tail you for miles.

We call it "Black and White Fever." Just because you see a squad doesn't mean you have to act like the driving test examiner is in the car with you. It affects drivers at stop signs, too. They get there first at the 4 way stop but won't move until the squad goes. C'mon, gutless, GO. IT'S YOUR TURN.

When there is a squad going 5 mph under, it means we are just patrolling and looking for suspicious activity. You can see more going on around you when driving slower. Even if a squad is going the speed limit, kicking it down a couple of mph to pass won't get you pulled over, unless the cop is a total dick. I mean, really? A couple of miles over? DICK. I don't know anyone in MPD who is so badge heavy he or she would stop you for 2 or 3 over, let alone write a ticket.

When we turn on the emergency lights, our video system starts saving video beginning 30 seconds before the lights come on, including the squad speed. The speedometer in your car is not a certified and calibrated instrument like the ones in squads so even if yours says you are going the speed limit, you are likely going a little under or over so don't sweat it (Ticket defense HINT, HINT). I highly doubt a citation for a few over is going to stand up in court. I rarely stop a car unless it is 9 or more over and that won't guarantee a citation, unless weather or traffic conditions are such the speed is imprudent for conditions.

Keep calm and drive normally. Change lanes and pass.

PLEASE.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 am

Walter wrote:
WestSideYuppie wrote:

We call it "Black and White Fever." Just because you see a squad doesn't mean you have to act like the driving test examiner is in the car with you.

I know. I was talking about a habit developed in a different time and place. The police in Madison really are a lot more professional and fair.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Me too -- police paranoia developed in a different time and place for sure. I'm so legal it's painful -- I mean, I stick to the speed limit and stay in the right lane even when I haven't seen a cop for miles and people behind me are getting all perturbed because they want to go ten-over. (Sometimes I even pull aside and let 'em go by just to get rid of them.) I don't think I've ever had a moving violation and I've been driving more decades (and more miles) than you want to know.

Still, I'll see a cop car and it's like I'm sixteen and taking my driving test. And if the cop car is behind me for a couple blocks, I turn on my signals and take a right, even if I have no reason to go there.

And the whole time I'm telling myself what an idiot I am. But I always do it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 pm

You're not being an idiot at all. Better to acknowledge your feelings and do something about it than pretend they're not there.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm

The last time I got stopped by the police was when I did a U-Turn at a controlled light. He was nice about it, didn't ticket me and just let me know that U-Turns at controlled intersections are prohibited even if they aren't marked as such. I didn't know that. Now I do.

The only time I got mad at an officer was when some kid that didn't look old enough to shave pulled me over for going 80 in a 75 zone in Wyoming. Punk actually took his gun out of his holster as he approached my car. I guess nothing says "danger" more than a 25 year-old in a Hyundai with a University of Wisconsin Law School sticker in the back window. I never paid that ticket. I guess I'm a fugitive in Wyoming.

Oh, and Walter... please spend some time ticketing lazy people in fire lanes. If nothing else, it will be good for some giggles (and it's easy revenue).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 am

snoqueen wrote: And if the cop car is behind me for a couple blocks, I turn on my signals and take a right, even if I have no reason to go there.

Ooof...me too. I'll go a couple over the speed limit and even pass a slow cop but if they're behind me for too long I'll sometimes bail. Of course on the odd chance that they happen to be turning there too, the blood pressure jumps a bit and I start scanning for non-suspicious places to stop, like a stranger's driveway. If I don't happen to have my drivers license on me, which is common, I'll decide that stopping is even more suspicious than continuing and if the road leads out of town, well....I'll be out of his jurisdiction soon and there's a nice little coffee shop in Verona where a lot of completely innocent yet paranoid people like to gather..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am

narcoleptish wrote:If I don't happen to have my drivers license on me, which is common...

Why would you drive without bothering to take your license along with you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

I don't habitually carry a wallet and that's where my drivers license lives. Personally I think they should give you two licenses so you can just toss one in the glove compartment. A cop pulling you over is going to run your name through the computer anyway, where I'm sure your picture pops up thus identifying you, so I don't really see the need for carrying what amounts to nothing more than a convenient way for the cop to spell your name correctly when they're entering it into their computer.

Yeah it's a law and I do try to remember it but I can't stand having a wallet in my pocket. Failure to carry the license is the only ticket I've had in 15+ years.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Like Walter says, If I see a cop I'll drive 1-2 mph faster than they do. It's not enough to set them off on a pursuit unless you are hanging out your window waving half full whiskey bottles. That way I am out of their sights soon enough and can resume my normal driving speed.
To all of you people who hit your brakes and slow down, that irritated person behind you is me. Really, hitting your brakes the moment you see a squad is more likely to cause an accident than just slowing down at a reasonable rate.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:10 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:
To all of you people who hit your brakes and slow down, that irritated person behind you is me.

That's just because it made you spill your whiskey. I'm too busy turning the stereo down to hit my brakes.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe