MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gammon/West Towne

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Gammon/West Towne

Postby Crockett » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:23 pm

What's the story with this area?

I see more and more stories like this.

I can imagine the filth is going to bleed into the surrounding neighborhoods. I'm very glad we didn't buy on the far west side...

Perhaps the 'suburbs-are-the-new-urban-blight-areas' prediction is coming true.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gammon/West Towne

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I think the story of this area is that it's way not as bad as hundreds if not thousands of other areas around this country. Crime is bad. Police are on it. Madison isn't Compton, or even Beloit.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I think the story of this area is that it's way not as bad as hundreds if not thousands of other areas around this country. Crime is bad. Police are on it. Madison isn't Compton, or even Beloit.

You're right, on an absolute basis its not bad. But I was referring to the trend and relative to the rest of Madison.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

If you go south on Gammon from Memorial HS to the end of McKenna, there are a variety of areas that have crime issues. However, each of the individual problem areas is so small (some only a block or two) that I think it is difficult for the police to increase their presence effectively.

We recently had an addition to our block that looks to rack up some frequent Joel Despain coverage. Lots of parties and arguments, both of which occur on the deck, and which feature m*f* as every third word. More recently, a neighbor discovered a bullet hole in their siding and inner wall, and it didn't take much ballistics experience to connect the two holes and figure out which house it came from.

There *might* be enough people in our neighborhood that have their houses paid off to stabilize things - but those are also the people that have the most flexibility to leave if they get fed up.
Unfortunately, the only choices are to hope the problem neighbors leave, or that whoever is shooting the gun gets arrested for something serious enough to get put away. Nobody is going to stop by and ask them to please turn down the music.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm

From experience, I'd say start working with the cops right away. Document everything, show them the bullet hole, ask what they recommend you do to stay safe and help them. Domestic disturbances warrant a police call, swearing doesn't of course.

Work with your more positive neighbors, be coordinated, do nothing to make things worse. Get to know who comes and goes from the problematic house, get car descriptions and license plate numbers if there's an immoderate amount of traffic.

They've already committed a crime (shooting and hitting the house -- it certainly wasn't self-defense) so you have reason to take action. If someone knows who the landlord is and knows if he/she is constructive and proactive, you might begin working with them as well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm

If only we'd listened to Blaska and made everybody pull their pants up.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 pm

gargantua wrote:If only we'd listened to Blaska and made everybody pull their pants up.

Ironically, our neighbors that had the bullet hole in their house were sitting outside a couple years ago with a couple black friends in their mid-20's. A couple pants-on-the-ground teenagers walked by talking loud and dropping f-bombs. One of my neighbor's friends proceeded to chew them a new one about both their language and dress. They pulled up their pants and walked away mumbling.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:They've already committed a crime (shooting and hitting the house -- it certainly wasn't self-defense) so you have reason to take action. If someone knows who the landlord is and knows if he/she is constructive and proactive, you might begin working with them as well.

Neighbor is already reporting it. I am assuming the home was purchased and no rented, but could be wrong.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:04 am

Regarding malls (original topic) here's an interesting and positive article about how they're being used in new ways, since dying and dead ones are all over the country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/busin ... .html?_r=2
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Man robbed of MacBook while leaving West Towne Mall, police say

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... z1loiUdOmC
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 am

Hmmm ... first iPad, then MacBook.

Maybe a big part of the problem here is people walking out of the mall with one of those glossy bags with a big honkin' Apple on it that screams "I just dropped hundreds of dollars on a shiny new gadget."

In the same way you wouldn't walk down a street counting the cash in your wallet, you might want to take a few precautions when venturing out into the parking lot with your latest big ticket purchase. Brown bag that fucker and you're probably far less likely to get sized-up by someone looking for an easy mark.

Remember with the iPod first came into vogue and suddenly people were getting mugged all over hell and back because of the bright white earbud cords sprouting from their hoodies? Same phenomenon. The big problem is the criminals, yes, but it seems to me Apple has a way of hanging "rob me" signs on their fanboys and girls. It's part of the price you pay for wearing your brand loyalty on your friggin' sleeve. But god forbid you spend all that cash and not be able to let the world know you're hip, right?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

"If she didn't want to get raped then she shouldn't have dressed that way"

:roll:
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Maybe a big part of the problem here is people walking out of the mall with one of those glossy bags with a big honkin' Apple on it that screams "I just dropped hundreds of dollars on a shiny new gadget."

He was taking a class, so he probably hadn't just bought it.

Given the number of junkies passing out in their cars in the area (while driving or not), it's not a surprise that geezers with small, expensive and easy-to-flip items have targets painted on their backs. There's only really two entrances that make sense to use to get to the Apple Store. It'd be pretty simple to cover them. There's always people lingering outside of the food court.
Petro
Forum Addict

West Towne mall robberies

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:47 pm

I hope they catch these thieves.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/30419741/detail.html
Madison Police Investigate String Of Robberies Outside Mall
Victims Were All Apple Store Customers

"Madison police said a string of robberies at West Towne Mall is exposing the bigger problem of a lack of surveillance cameras.
For the third time in 10 days, an Apple computer product was stolen from a customer walking out of West Towne Mall, police said. Investigators said thieves stole an iPad from an 83-year-old woman outside the mall food court at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday."...
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:06 pm

If they haven't already got surveillance cameras in and around the Apple store, someone is asleep on the job. That's the most obvious place to need them.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe