MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Orpheum: what's up?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Orpheum: what's up?

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 am

Anybody know what's up with the Orpheum? Things I wonder: Is Henry Doane out of the picture? What's the plan for the renovation? What's the plan for the restaurant?

I love that place. It would really suck to see it decline and die. Am I being paranoid if that's the vibe I'm getting?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Orpheum: what's up?

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I remember hearing that they were cutting down to just weddings and special events for awhile, with the hope of opening a revamped restaurant eventually. This summer possibly?

Not sure what the status of the partnership is. That sounds like it was a mistake from the beginning. I think Henry genuinely cares about the place, while the other guy probably wishes it would burn down.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 am

I was in there for the film festival, and it's a nice place for a concert but a horrible space for a movie now. They took out half the seats and added vendor spaces on the floor on each side. My husband noticed that the cool Harold Lloyd movie poster in the lobby was gone now too. As far as I could tell the stage door area is now just storage.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 am

narcoleptish wrote:I think Henry genuinely cares about the place, while the other guy probably wishes it would burn down.

Yeah, that's my sad, sinking feeling.

I'll really miss Saturday breakfast there if it all goes to shit. For years it's been our Saturday default, and we'd see the same trio of hipster dudes practically every week. Always wondered if they thought "We see the same oldster couple here practically every week." Best damned hash browns in the world, and it's just such a cozy b-fast spot. Sigh.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 am

On my way out of Monsieur Lazhar I noticed that they had built a wall and doorway in the hallway between the first and second doors to the main floor seats. It was architecturally jarring but I didn't think much more about it at the time (being preoccupied with getting out/not getting trampled) but now I'm thinking that it may be a sign that they are going to formally divide the space into a restaurant and a banquet hall, perhaps a sign that they are planning to discontinue their practice of closing the restaurant to the public whenever a private event is scheduled? If they ever re-open as a restaurant, that is. I never really nailed down the details of that tiff enough to even pretend to understand it.

Not at all happy about the dance floor and bars intruding themselves on my big old beautiful movie palace movie going experience, but I am also very aware that me and five other strangers off the street watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2 for $5 each was never going to pay the bills. And if I don't like it I suppose there's always the balcony...
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby _mp » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

That's a good question. I've worked with them off and on the last eight months as their Designer and unfortunately I'm as much in the dark as everyone else.

We even pitched a proper film night this January. Sadly, there was no response. http://projectlux.org/img-misc/5-3-2012-Orpheum_Film-DTPLLP-PROJECTLUX.gif [proprietary information redacted] :P
_mp

Postby markkay » Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm

The film event sounds like it would be a blast. I have fond memories of watching Marx Brothers movies at film societies as an undergrad in Ann Arbor in the late seventies/early eighties. Saw Eraserhead a couple times in such venues, as well as George Romero taking questions after a showing of Night of the Living Dead, which was shown with his current flick at the time, Martin. Of course, the film societies booked university auditoriums, but the Orpheum will do just nicely, thank you.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby _mp » Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback @markkay! All the films you mentioned sound great.
_mp

Postby fennel » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I remember the Ann Arbor film societies well. Das Boot was particularly memorable, shown in a stifling room in Lorch hall.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am

I saw 8 1/2 in that Lorch Hall auditorium! As well as Andy Warhol's Trash. IMDB says Trash is 110 minutes long. I want my 110 minutes back!
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:16 am

I heard that longtime State St businessman Gus Paras has bought the Orpheum after it went into foreclosure. No mention of his plans.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 am

Hope that's good news. I know Paras is no fan of Fleming, which is a point in his favor.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 am

I heard that part of the deal is that Henry runs it again.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby _mp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the tip @narcoleptish.
_mp

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe