MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Metcalfe's food store labor practices

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Metcalfe's food store labor practices

Postby Shorty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 pm

I've never been a fan of Metcalfe's and reading about their labor treatment makes me think even worse of them.

http://cognidissidence.blogspot.com/201 ... alfes.html

"Workers at Metcalfe’s Market need your support. After years of stable and mutually successful labor relations, Metcalfe’s Market has hired the most anti-worker law firm in the state to attack their meat department workers who are fighting for a fair contract. These workers are proud members of the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1473 and deserve a fair wage and benefit package. The reason for the attack is simple: GREED. The company is willing to spend unlimited amounts on union-busting lawyers to silence their workers instead of bargaining in good faith with their employees. The Company has even unilaterally implemented a 600% cost increase to employees in health insurance premiums alone!"
Last edited by Shorty on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Boycott Metcalfe's

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

I live very close to a Metcalfe's and I've always found it very easy to avoid. It has an ineffable creepy factor that I can't quite put my finger on. More creepy even than the Food Whole, and that's no mean feat.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe