MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Taste of Madison website not available

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Taste of Madison website not available

Postby Big_Sister » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:06 pm

I have been trying to get onto the "Taste" website for the last 45 minutes, but it does not seem to want to load.

When I google it, to try to see what I can see, I DO see the "front page" of its Facebook page, even though I do not (NOT NOT NOT) belong to "The Facebook", AND I see multiple Facebook users saying they, too, haven't been able to get onto the actual Taste website.

I HAD wanted to look at the map to see what's where in order to optimize the brief visit I had wanted to make early, before the football game is over, with one senior citizen and two young elementary age kids in tow.

As this is not a possibility, we're going to go to Ella's instead.

To whom it may concern, if anyone: this is a fascinating way to run such an event.

(Saturday, 3:10 PM)
Big_Sister

Re: Taste of Madison website not available

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 am

Sorry you missed it but it was crowded, loud, and the food wasn't that good. Their site works fine now.

http://www.tasteofmadison.com/
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Indeed it was crowded. I wish, when people get their food, that they would walk away from the line. I think one way to alleviate this is to add more chairs or tables.

Also, what the hell was with the line for grilled cheese? It was by far the longest line there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 pm

I wondered about that, but the signs had things like "Reuben grilled cheese" and other enhanced cheese sammiches.

I liked it. I especially liked the four dollar mojitos. After the second one I didn't even mind the people who thought it was fine to gather in groups and chat in the middle of the traffic flow. I just eased around 'em. For some reason every time I did that I had to dodge a kid in a stroller and accidentally shoulder bumped one of the chatters, though.

The prime rib bytes were my favorite. And the bananas foster sunday.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Indeed it was crowded. I wish, when people get their food, that they would walk away from the line. I think one way to alleviate this is to add more chairs or tables.

Agreed. Maybe they need signs "move away from the food carts after you get your food". Here is what I had:

$4 for Fruit salad from Salad Creations. Too many strawberries.
$4 for tater tot casserole from Bluephies. OK.
$4 for Biscuits and gray with sausage from Monty's Blue Plate. OK
$4 for Door Co cherry pie a la mode from Elegant Edibles. Oh boy was that good!
$5 for parking.
----
$20 total. One of the $4 items was $3 but I can't remember which. I wanted a grilled cheese too but the line was too long.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Shorty wrote:$4 for Fruit salad from Salad Creations. Too many strawberries.
$4 for tater tot casserole from Bluephies. OK.
$4 for Biscuits and gray with sausage from Monty's Blue Plate. OK
$4 for Door Co cherry pie a la mode from Elegant Edibles. Oh boy was that good!
$5 for parking.
----
$20 total. One of the $4 items was $3 but I can't remember which. I wanted a grilled cheese too but the line was too long.

No offense, Shorty, but that particular menu doesn't make me wish I went. I like nostalgia as much as the next person, but why should I pay good money for food from 1958?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Not sure why it is nostalgia. What would you prefer? it was the healthiest, tastiest food I could find. Most places were selling bbq pork, chicken, subs, pizza, and tacos for $5 for small portions. Nothing special about those. There was Asian food too but didn't look good to me. Lots of beer, too.

In other words, it was mostly ball park food. Between that and the crowds I felt like I was at Mallards or Badger game.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Tater Tots are nostalgic by definition. In fact, they were nostalgic from the day they were invented.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:33 am

I'm still trying to figure out why someone (the original poster) would decide not to go to the Taste because their web page was down.

I'd decide not to go to the Taste because of the menus you people just posted.

Still, I'm glad it was a success. They must know their audience.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 am

What was with the death metal band at 11AM on Sunday morning? Between that and the majority of the food, it definitely felt like a fair rather than a food event. I mean, there were corn dogs there.

We won't be back.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:54 am

Shorty wrote:In other words, it was mostly ball park food. Between that and the crowds I felt like I was at Mallards or Badger game.

Now that I think back on it, yeah. Lots of that stuff. We thought it was better than a few years back when it was five or six bucks for a huge helping of something or other, and then you were full. This time there were two and three dollar items.

But yeah, a lot like a ball game crowd. Great place to be if you like red.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

We strolled up late Saturday afternoon and made it half a block before we bailed in favor of a lovely dinner outside at Mirch Masala, watching the crowd shuffle by to the shitty strains of the Q106 stage.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe