MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

GEF 3 bites

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

GEF 3 bites

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 am

Weird thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving west-bound (and down) on the beltline in the middle lane, between Rimrock and Park, when I notice out of the corner of my eye that a vehicle approaching from the rear in the left lane was closer than it should be. Like almost close enough for me to reach out and touch the fender.

I looked over in time to catch the driver of a (perhaps at one time, although not any longer, good times) van not just texting on his silver flip phone, but looking over his glasses to do so. You know the move. The guy wasn't a senior citizen, but he was of a certain age where seeing text up close requires pushing his glasses up or down. I guess he might have been actually dialing the phone and not texting, but id didn't really make a difference. He was clearly distracted and his performance behind the wheel was affected.

My window was open and his was open, so as he passed, I yelled "Hey!" I guess I thought he needed to know that he was veering off course and that somebody was paying attention to what he was doing. When I caught up to him a few seconds later, his glasses had returned to their normal position on his face (I noticed that they were tinted. Not full-on sunglasses, but maybe the kind that get darker when you go outside.) and his phone had disappeared. I expected a dirty look or some other gesture from him, but instead got only a sheepish look. Busted.

I've been commuting daily on the beltline for years and continue to be amazed at what people are up to in their cars there, especially during rush hour. It's like simply driving a car safely isn't enough of a challenge and they have to mix in using the phone, eating, constant lane changes and blatant tailgating just to keep from being bored or something.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: GEF 3 bites

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 am

GEF 3?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

GEF 3
http://www.doa.state.wi.us/subcategory. ... 06&locid=4

No idea on the connection to Joyce's observation though. Unless he's indicating that this is the kind of behavior that the Department of Public Instruction should be correcting, or the Office of Commissioner of Insurance should be aware of
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

Over the summer I witnessed at least a half dozen blown stop signs or red lights. Three of them were clearly using a mobile device and I'm sure the others were too but I just wasn't close enough to see.

I'm constantly telling my girlfriend to drive as if every other person on the road is both blind and drunk.

I've always been a defensive driver. But over the past 2 years or so I've become a super-hypervigilant defensive driver.

No texting or smack-shooting fuckwad is going to be the cause of my demise.

I'm pulling up next to people with my thumb to my ear and my pinkie to my mouth motioning the phone hangup to them.

They look at me like I'm the crazy one.

*sigh
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 am

When I walk to work, I sometimes come up with ideas for titles of blogs. GEF 3 Bites seems like a good one and this post is pretty bloggy, so there you go. It's not supposed to make any sense. #internet
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am

jjoyce wrote:When I walk to work, I sometimes come up with ideas for titles of blogs.

As long as you're not texting and walking...

Those are the other folks I'm also more vigilant about these days.

#oblivioustotheworld
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:10 pm

WTF? I thought this was going to be a post about the cafeteria in GEF 3 (i.e. "bites" at GEF 3). Very disappointed. A hex on you, jjoyce!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I thought it was gonna be about how GEF 3 really bites the big one.

I think you need to walk out the title some more.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Autotexting is why I got bifocals. Safety first!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I actually used to text while driving back when I had an awesome flip phone. I knew the keypad, obviously, and could text without looking. I'm not defending it, but it's something you can't really do with a QWERTY touch pad. Same for walking while texting. I physically can't do it. I can't hit the right letters, even though I use swipe. So I'm the guy standing next to the building now like a jerk instead of multi-tasking like a boss.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Ya know Senator GG of WB thinks texting while driving is A OKAY owing to some anecdotal evidence, so what's the problem?!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe