MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Celebrating Ben Masel's birthday

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Celebrating Ben Masel's birthday

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Facebook informs me that today would have been Ben's birthday.

As a student, I knew about Ben primarily through the headlines he made as a leader of NORML and related pot causes. I'd spot him playing chess at the Union or hanging around at marches and protests. When I worked at the student paper, I would often encourage reporters to call him for various stories, but never dealt with him myself.

I interned at Isthmus in 1993, however, and was assigned a story about medicinal pot. I called Ben and we talked on the phone for about an hour. He taught me about various aspects of medicinal marijuana that I still repeat. In particular, he explained how the pill forms of THC being pushed at the time didn't do any of the work that actually smoking pot did -- restore appetite, relax muscles. "You get plenty high," he told me, but it didn't do anything to comfort cancer patients or others that sought the legalization of medicinal pot.

He was a tremendous advocate, clearly able to out-wit anyone who challenged his stances. I never saw him lose a point and only the extremely inexperienced challenged him.

We should figure out some way to honor Masel around here. Any ideas?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Celebrating Ben Masel's birthday

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Anything short of legalization would be nothing but symbolic.

Also, Ben would have reminded everybody he wasn't just about marijuana legalization. He had the freedom of speech thing going too, and I think his last demonstration was the one he staged in the Capitol making a freedom of speech statement.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

snoqueen wrote: He had the freedom of speech thing going too, and I think his last demonstration was the one he staged in the Capitol making a freedom of speech statement.

I keep thinking of Ben whenever I hear of a new round of administrative rules coming into effect from the DOA at the capital. I like to think that if Ben were still around Erwin and the Capital Police would be his goose the laid the golden egg. The money he'd make on lawsuits against these knuckleheads would keep him in the "green" for a long time.

RIP Mr. Masel

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Making a donation to listener-sponsored WORT would be a nice gesture, especially during Free Speech Radio News. (Even though that was an hour ago).
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Something to recognize he stood up and spoke out. He was not afraid.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm

JJ, create the Ben Masel scholarship awarded by Isthmus.

Do it and I'll kick in the first $500.

Payable in $1 bills.

(Ben accepted only $1 contributions to his campaigns)
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 pm

WWBS (What would Ben say?): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 67862.html

Another point of contention during the trial was the fact that the judge did not allow Sandusky to claim entrapment based on President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder's public statements on medical marijuana.

Throughout his first campaign, Obama had said he wouldn't use federal resources to circumvent state laws about medical marijuana. During a 2009 press conference, Holder followed up on that promise, saying that federal raids on medical marijuana dispensaries would be coming to an end unless the shops violated both state and federal law.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Making a donation to listener-sponsored WORT would be a nice gesture,

I agree, and make sure to give them the name Ben Masel to read on the air when they thank donors.

But I knew Ben pretty well and I think he would prefer people speaking up, speaking out, challenging the status quo, confronting 1st Amendment injustices, and ultimately doing something to help move cannabis decriminalization forward - especially here in WI.

If nothing else, light one up in his honor at some point today.

http://madisonnorml.org/

http://www.benmaselproject.com/
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe