MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Lake & Univ.N.W.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Lake & Univ.N.W.

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

They knocked down and dug out Brothers Tavern and all those other old buildings. I noticed that they took down the fence and sodded it over. I thought they were going to put a UW music building there. Why the delay?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lake & Univ.N.W.

Postby fennel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am

Not sure, but that really is an improvement to have that space open. I hope they skip building anything there ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:06 am

Half the money has been raised for the new Music building so far. When they get farther along in fundraising, they'll develop plans and start moving forward.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:48 am

They've already developed a massing model. That determines the space needs and the money needed. The new buildings are supposed to be built in two phases. One is in that current space with the sod, second is where the extension building is to the north. I haven't heard updates on the time frame yet. It's amazing how nothing there looks so much better than what was standing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Half the money has been raised for the new Music building so far. When they get farther along in fundraising, they'll develop plans and start moving forward.

Come spring they'll be out there busking to raise to the funds.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:50 am

Bwis53 wrote:They knocked down and dug out Brothers Tavern and all those other old buildings. I noticed that they took down the fence and sodded it over. I thought they were going to put a UW music building there. Why the delay?

That was my first thought. Then I wondered if there was some sort of scheduling thing involved, like maybe there was already a demo crew in the area and they could get the buildings torn down right away for a better price, and then they sodded it over as an alternative to gravel while they waited to catch up to the building schedule.

And I agree that sod looks a hell of a lot better than those eyesores or a big gravely invitation for illegal parking.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I drove past there last week and couldn't figure out why I could see the Chazen so well! Not until right now did I realize why. I had to laugh.

I was out that way again today and it all made more sense. They should have torn those things down ten years ago if they weren't going to maintain them. Perhaps they decided to get rid of them now instead of letting them go through another winter of decay, unauthorized entry, and other security problems.

I know the UW is putting up some music building, but it looks great as a little lawn.

It'll be nice to replace the old Extension building, too. Those 70s campus buildings have not stood the test of time well at all. I hope the current round of buildings are more satisfactory but looking at the southeast gym with its rusty exterior, I wonder.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:02 am

i hope they keep the grass. The campus needs more green space. I look forward to seeing the college girls sunbathing there in Summer. There is room for sand volleyball courts there, too.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 am

Shorty wrote:i hope they keep the grass. The campus needs more green space.

They won't but don't fret. The old Gordon Commons cafeteria next to where Ogg used to be will be torn down and turned into a park area. Alas, you will still have the opportunity to oogle your bikini ladies.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:46 am

Thank goodness.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 am

I can't wait until they finish upgrading Library Mall. It's been depressing walking through there in the summer and seeing the stone benches literally falling apart. What used to be one of the prettiest parts of campus has been rotting for years now, waiting to be developed as part of this east campus master plan.

I like this idea of the pedestrian mall that extends from the lake to the SERF.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:I can't wait until they finish upgrading Library Mall. It's been depressing walking through there in the summer and seeing the stone benches literally falling apart. What used to be one of the prettiest parts of campus has been rotting for years now, waiting to be developed as part of this east campus master plan.

I like this idea of the pedestrian mall that extends from the lake to the SERF.

Which part are you talking about? The 700 block of State Street (in between Memorial Library and the bookstore) was supposed to be done last summer I think, but got delayed due to city budgetary pressures.

The poor area around the fountain has been torn open more summers than not for the past several years. It pretty much IS done now, except as the only open space for several blocks it is now construction staging for the Union and Alumni Park.

It's been almost schizophrenic in planning, at least from an observer's perspective ... when they resodded last spring, they left a big area by Langdon Street (and closer to Memorial Library) unsodded and covered with straw. A few weeks later this is where they put the construction offices for the projects across the street. Then I guess they needed more room, because they've taken up the area around the fountain and all the way to the Historical Society, covering thousands of dollars in sod with construction materials.

I desperately hope they can clear out by spring.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I desperately hope they can clear out by spring.

From the Project overview:
Phase I construction is set to begin in Summer 2012 and will be completed in Summer 2014

Re Phase II:
The details of this phase are not yet finalized. Construction on this phase will occur sometime after Phase I is completed.
Is it just me, or does this vagueness sound like a former U.S. presidential candidate? In any case, I expect Library Mall will be a gravel-covered staging area for many years to come.

By the way, if I remember correctly, there's supposed to be a third stage.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe