MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Flashing yellow arrows

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Flashing yellow arrows

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 am

Stebben84 wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Book Police: The flashing arrows we're talking about have nothing to do with the late-night red/yellow four way flashing that starts once traffic gets really light.

Actually, yes, they do. A flashing yellow light at night means to proceed with caution or yield. A flashing yellow arrow means to proceed with caution or yield to oncoming traffic or pedestrians.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/flashing-yellow.htm

This was my point. The essential meaning of a flashing yellow light shouldn't be mind-boggling when it's shaped like an arrow, but perfectly clear when circular. Come on now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 am

Any expericenced driver knows that yellow means accelerate. I follow the same rule for the flashing yellow arrow.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Any expericenced driver knows that yellow means accelerate. I follow the same rule for the flashing yellow arrow.

+1

This is exactly what I did the first time I saw one. Like it was maybe green a second ago, now it's yellow and will soon be red.

But who really cares, right? Soon, all intersections will be roundabouts and we won't have to worry about lights.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am

jjoyce wrote:Ned Flanders wrote:
Any expericenced driver knows that yellow means accelerate. I follow the same rule for the flashing yellow arrow.

+1

This is exactly what I did the first time I saw one. Like it was maybe green a second ago, now it's yellow and will soon be red.

Just curious, do you do the same thing when you see a flashing yellow at an intersection at night? Do you think those will turn red?

jjoyce wrote:But who really cares, right? Soon, all intersections will be roundabouts and we won't have to worry about lights.

Hellz ya, I'm all for it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 am

...but...but what if I stop and wait for the flashing yellow arrow and I end up sitting there forever, like when I got caught in the inner circle of that roundabout and just kept going round and round and round until the end of the Mayan calendar?? Come on, you guys....
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe