MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Flu going around

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Flu going around

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Get the shot or shut up about it.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 am

Madsci wrote:Get the shot or shut up about it.

Rumor has it the strains they created this year's shot to fight, aren't the one that is going around.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

Ttusker wrote:I know who I got it from, and this individual HAD gotten a flu shot back in October.

"Why the Flu Vaccine Doesn't Work"
By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthings ... 11604a.htm
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rumor has it the strains they created this year's shot to fight, aren't the one that is going around.

I heard a rumor your rumor is full of shit.

Seriously, isn't the internet sufficiently rife with misinformation without people contributing thought provoking statements that commence with the clause "rumor has it"?

Dairylander wrote:
Ttusker wrote:I know who I got it from, and this individual HAD gotten a flu shot back in October.

She might want to bring that headline into line with her concluding paragraph (which provides a "yes and no" response to the question "Waste of time?" in reference to getting a flu shot). Then again, she probably didn't write the headline, since it seems far more conclusive than the text of her article, which concludes:

Bottom line: The flu vaccine varies in effectiveness from year-to-year. Even in a best-case scenario, it won't always protect against the flu.

Also, is it too much to request that we consult a better source than fucking About.com where medical matters are concerned? Could they at least date their fucking articles? I have no idea when that was written which has serious bearing on whether or not it's really relevant.

Lastly, haven't any of you ever taken a fucking biology course? It astounds me that in the age of modern medical advances by the nanosecond that almost no one understands how a simple vaccine works. Vaccines do not prevent you from contracting viruses. They assist your body in reacting with a heightened immune response after you are exposed. This is why the CDC urges broad participation. They're not trying to stop the virus from spreading. They can't. They trying to prevent people from dying of the symptoms when the virus inevitably does spread.

You might get the vaccine and have "flu light" symptoms for a day or two. If you don't think that's preferable to a full bout, you've probably never really had the flu.

Yeah, it's not an exact science that guarantees a 100% favorable outcome. Then again, neither are most surgeries. So I suspect y'all will be passing on that the next time your doctor suggests a procedure as the "best chance" of saving your ass. I mean, we all die eventually so at best that liver resection is only buying you a handful of years, right?

Here's an idea: Skip your tetanus booster next time and then go barefoot running in a construction site. Lockjaw really only lasts a few days and the worst of it is the bone-crushing muscle spasms. Once you get past those, you're golden and honestly won't have a care in the world.

Seriously, I get why some are reluctant to get a shot that may or may not prevent a condition most don't perceive as particularly grave. What I don't get is why this is such a contentious question or why it's the people who don't participate who are the most vocal and obnoxious about it. We get it. You're not worried. You avoided a little prick and have capitalized on that missed opportunity to become an enormous one instead. Cookie for your bravery. Now shut the fuck up already. And I better not catch you coughing your ass off in the seat behind me on the bus. You catch that shit, keep it at home, asshole.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

Dairylander wrote:

"No cases have been resistant to Tamiflu, which can ease symptoms if taken within 48 hours, and this year’s flu shot is well-matched to the H3N2 strain, the C.D.C. said. Flu shots are imperfect, especially in the elderly, whose immune systems may not be strong enough to produce enough antibodies."

NYTimes on the flu outbreak, which is unusually severe. See the CDC's flu map.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am

Mean Scenester wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rumor has it the strains they created this year's shot to fight, aren't the one that is going around.

....full of shit.

Dairylander wrote:

Bottom line: The flu vaccine varies in effectiveness from year-to-year. Even in a best-case scenario, it won't always protect against the flu.

Also, ....fucking About.com....fucking articles?
Lastly....fucking biology course?
Yeah, it's not an exact science....saving your ass. <sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm> right?
Here's an idea: <sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm>

What I don't get is why this is such a contentious question or why it's the people who don't participate who are the most vocal and obnoxious about it. <sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm> Now shut the fuck up already....You catch that shit, keep it at home, asshole.

Thank you for that calm, well mannered response.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am

Mean Scenester wrote:

I heard a rumor your rumor is full of shit.

Seriously, isn't the internet sufficiently rife with misinformation without people contributing thought provoking statements that commence with the clause "rumor has it"?

I apologize, I could have phrased that a lot better. Someone with a good deal of medical training and public health experience made a statement in a conversation I was party too, indicating that the current year's Flu vaccination did not match well with the strains going around. Since I don't believe her area of specialty is infectious disease or epidemiology, I wouldn't put 100% weight on her statement (and clearly the CDC disagrees), but it seemed pertinent to the conversation. The point mainly being that the flu shot is by no means a magic shield that will always protect against the flu.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The point mainly being that the flu shot is by no means a magic shield that will always protect against the flu.

Who said that it will always protect against the flu? Strawman.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 am

Violet_Skye wrote:Thank you for that calm, well mannered response.

Boo fucking hoo.

Easy solution to that one. Don't cop the "I know better than you" attitude when you're clearly talking out your ass and don't have a basic enough understanding of the underlying science to merit a credible opinion on the topic. "I got the flu from someone who got a flu shot, so clearly they don't work" gets my dander up. If you're ignorant about how vaccines work, you don't get a pass on your ass-backward "scientific" theory. Sorry.

Yes, you can catch the flu from someone who's been vaccinated against it. Quick resolution to this whole argument: Which of you had worse symptoms? If the answer is the vaccinated individual, we now know the vaccine is working as intended. Case closed and end of all the rectal bloviation.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:The point mainly being that the flu shot is by no means a magic shield that will always protect against the flu.

Who said that it will always protect against the flu? Strawman.

The following comment seemed to imply it:
Madsci wrote:Get the shot or shut up about it.

though I might have misinterpreted Madsci's meaning. Anything else I can clear up for you Henry?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Your lack of logical reasoning is astounding. Many hospitals demand that all employees get the shot. That certainly doesn't mean it will be 100% effective in all cases.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Your lack of logical reasoning is astounding. Many hospitals demand that all employees get the shot. That certainly doesn't mean it will be 100% effective in all cases.

That's nice Henry
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I know a very bright professor who distrusts modern medicine because he didn't like the outcome of his mother's heart problem. He juices a lot and is quite fit. Last week he got very ill for a week,(in bed sick.)
I haven't had the flu since the late '70's. I always get the shot because of asthma. A flu shot can save you a lot of suffering and money. I thought I was tough, turning down the pediatrician's offer of a gamma-globulin shot, because my kids had the pox and I never had it. The shot was meant to make symptoms milder. At 39 I got sick as a dog with chicken pox. An old lady friend of mine got shingles on her body and in her eye. I gladly got the shingles vaccine.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Instead of a flu shot I just drink booze. A lot of booze.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Good idea, you don't have to worry about mercury or preservatives in booze. Mayor Dave says to get the shot but he doesn't say anything about mercury or preservatives:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=38730
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe