MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

North Sherman Avenue Proposal

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: North Sherman Avenue Proposal

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm

fennel wrote:Stebben is right, except that riding on the sidewalk is illegal in some areas. (Probably not on most of Sherman) A bicyclist can legally use any lane that a car can use.

It's illegal but the only person I know of who got busted for it tried to plow through a group of people with kids in front of a cop. ie, a complete idiot.

I use the sidewalk every time I think it's safer than the street, like on Sherman, on Fish Hatch over the beltline and on Monona Drive. I always give pedestrians a wide berth and dismount there's more than one person.

I consider the risk of a ticket a safer bet than the risk of a hospital bed and that's what I'd tell the officer while he wrote out my ticket.

That's what I'd do if I ever got one, anyway.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm

rabble wrote:It's illegal but the only person I know of who got busted for it tried to plow through a group of people with kids in front of a cop. ie, a complete idiot.

As far as I know, it's only illegal when a building buts up to the sidewalk. Otherwise it's just a courtesy thing to go slow and give peds their distance(IF you need to use the sidewalk. I don't make that a habit, only a necessity).
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rabble wrote:It's illegal but the only person I know of who got busted for it tried to plow through a group of people with kids in front of a cop. ie, a complete idiot.

As far as I know, it's only illegal when a building buts up to the sidewalk.

Or if the prohibition is posted, like Monona does.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I definitely see more riders on the sidewalks of Sherman than on the street itself.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm

david cohen wrote:I definitely see more riders on the sidewalks of Sherman than on the street itself.
I would guess the same goes for pedestrians. This plan should offer some relief for both, and open up new markets for Sherman Ave. businesses.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sylvie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Ugh - I live on North Sherman near Shabazz. I can just see rush hour traffic scooting down one lane at 90 miles an hour - unless it moves over to Packers,which I doubt. It will be much harder to get in and out of my driveway now.

When some of us north-siders protested that we had no voice it this before it was rammed through, ala Walker tactics, an answer was; 'well it was discussed for years". What is THAT supposed to mean? Because "it "was discussed", one side gets it way without anything like a vote.

While I am not terribly pro-car and rode my bike to work for quite a while before I retired, I still don't think this is a good plan - it was tried before - but I don't want to give up any more of my front yard to widen the street either.

I just don't like the way this was done.
sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 pm

sylvie wrote:
an answer was; 'well it was discussed for years". What is THAT supposed to mean? Because "it "was discussed", one side gets it way without anything like a vote.
I still don't think this is a good plan - it was tried before - but I don't want to give up any more of my front yard to widen the street either.

I just don't like the way this was done.

One: I know plenty of people who have been bringing this up in every meeting they could find and to every city official who's ever been connected to that part of town. That's probably what was meant by "it was discussed." It's been pushed as a solution for years and I'm kind of surprised you didn't know it was moving along. I've known about it for a while and I live out by Schenk's Corners.

Two: When was it tried before?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 pm

The process piece has been widely derided by folks on the northside. I'm on every mailing list and involved civically and was never aware of "the plan" until 2 weeks prior to the vote. There were never any public meetings held for the neighborhoods affected. Typically we get either an email, a postal mailing, or something in our door from our alder. The 3 lane setup was tried 4-5 summers ago. It was a disaster. But that's all in the past. I sure as hell am glad I don't have to back out of my driveway onto Sherman though, and since I use Sherman 2-6 times daily, I understand your pain!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Backing into any roadway is never a good idea. For a busy one, it should to be illegal (as it is in some states).
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:42 pm

fennel wrote:Backing into any roadway is never a good idea. For a busy one, it should to be illegal (as it is in some states).

What am I missing? In order to not back into the roadway, you would have to stop and back your car into your driveway in order to not have to back out of it.

How is that safer?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:49 pm

I engaged fennel is the same discussion some time ago. Unless one has a circular driveway or enough room to turn around in the drive, backing up is still required.

So what states bans backing into a roadway?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Vermont, at least. This according to a USPS driver's ed course. You have the option of backing into the driveway or of turning around once in the driveway. If you don't have the ability to turn around without a circular driveway, you probably shouldn't be driving.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 pm

fennel wrote:Vermont, at least. This according to a USPS driver's ed course. You have the option of backing into the driveway or of turning around once in the driveway. If you don't have the ability to turn around without a circular driveway, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Let's see you do that in the driveways on the east side of town. Make sure your insurance is up-to-date first, though, OK?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 pm

fennel wrote: If you don't have the ability to turn around without a circular driveway, you probably shouldn't be driving.

I can do that just fine. Only not in a car. You have officially lost being taken seriously on this particular topic, my friend. Many driveways in this town are barely more than a car-width across.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:47 pm

I didn't think of that actually but now that it's been brought up, the next time I drive down Sherman I'll take special note of how many driveways it's going to affect.

I kinda thought the bike lane would help with that, or maybe you could back out into the middle strip, but definitely it'll be a pain especially at rush hours.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe