MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

North Sherman Avenue Proposal

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: North Sherman Avenue Proposal

Postby Ninja » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

jman111 wrote:
Ninja wrote:I also saw a jogger running the wrong way in the inbound bike lane...
Which way is "the wrong way" in this case? If he was headed out(north)bound, isn't that correct for peds on the street (always facing traffic)? If there was no bike lane there, would he be "running the wrong way" on that side of the street?

Not saying he couldn't run on the sidewalk, but isn't he allowed there?

Is he allowed to run in the center turn lane? In either of the traffic lanes? Why would he be allowed to run in the bike lane?

This isn't a situation where there's no sidewalk or skirt or shoulder. He's not a vehicle and this is a city, so he shouldn't be on asphalt unless it's absolutely necessary, and that should only happen when crossing the street to pick a better run route after the dumbass figures out that he's running in traffic.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Related:

A certain north side business on Sherman Ave. wants $3 minimum to print a simple four page document (plain paper, black ink) from an email pdf.

Cost to print at the library: maybe 40 cents (they were closed when I needed it this morning).

Cost to print at the job center right next door: zero. Done.

If some businesses fail, they best not blame it on the street changes.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm

It would be really nice if the City would at least plow the center turn lane when they plow the thru lanes....so that folks could get into that lane to turn, instead of turning out of the thru traffic lane. I sat in a 15 car backup for no apparent reason this morning, other than this issue. Oh yeah, those pedestrian islands adjacent to bus stops? Now that it's winter, traffic can't get around the bus when it's stopped by the BMO island, so another 15 car backup. At least the skateboarders have abandoned Sherman for the winter:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Damn. You oughtta make some noise about the center lane plowing. It looks like the streets department didn't think that part through.

But why can't cars get by the buses? Just insufficient plowing?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 pm

The roadway is narrowed due to the snow along the bike lane and around those pedestrian islands, hence not enough room to get around stopped Metro busses. I did read today that the City has installed some cameras along Sherman for real time viewing of train back ups and other traffic issues so maybe they'll actually notice:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I've been in some long backups behind buses at Milwaukee and Marquette, waiting for someone to load their bike on the front of the bus and then dig for their fare. You can't go around the bus there either, ever since they put in the "traffic calming" island. Calming traffic is the last thing that island does.

Not me though, I've got all the patience in the world behind the wheel. Doesn't mean putting those things in front of bus stops isn't a stupid idea.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 pm

david cohen wrote:I did read today that the City has installed some cameras along Sherman for real time viewing of train back ups and other traffic issues so maybe they'll actually notice:)

Intended use: monitoring traffic patterns

Actual use: "Hey Joe! Look how pissed off that guy looks!"
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:22 am

david cohen wrote:It would be really nice if the City would at least plow the center turn lane when they plow the thru lanes....so that folks could get into that lane to turn, instead of turning out of the thru traffic lane. I sat in a 15 car backup for no apparent reason this morning, other than this issue. Oh yeah, those pedestrian islands adjacent to bus stops? Now that it's winter, traffic can't get around the bus when it's stopped by the BMO island, so another 15 car backup. At least the skateboarders have abandoned Sherman for the winter:)

They were plowed this morning, but I agree, that lane can't just be ignored.

I've seen several ambulances get jammed up this winter because there's no place for cars to pull over, so the ambulances have to alternate between the turn lane and oncoming traffic for a block or two at a time. I saw one finally give up on inbound Sherman a couple nights ago and hang a left onto Roth (b/t Cap Petro and the Esquire), and then, I assume, double back onto Huxley, right onto Aberg, and then onto Packers. I'd really hate to be the guy dying in the back when all that was going on.

This is not working, but I think my neighbor and I are finally getting some leverage with the city and hopefully this little experiment will wrap up sooner than originally scheduled.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:22 am

fennel wrote:It looks like the streets department didn't think that part through.

LOL! As opposed to which part?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53 am

david cohen wrote:The roadway is narrowed due to the snow along the bike lane and around those pedestrian islands, hence not enough room to get around stopped Metro busses. I did read today that the City has installed some cameras along Sherman for real time viewing of train back ups and other traffic issues so maybe they'll actually notice:)

As opposed to all the shits they give about the massive train-related backups that happen on Johnson, East Wash, John Nolen, Broom, etc.?!?

The problem is the train, not the street. The railroad uses that as a switching station, so the massive trains backup down, then stop while they switch the track, then return. The whole process takes fucking forever, no matter how many lanes there are...
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 pm

barney wrote:
david cohen wrote:The roadway is narrowed due to the snow along the bike lane and around those pedestrian islands, hence not enough room to get around stopped Metro busses. I did read today that the City has installed some cameras along Sherman for real time viewing of train back ups and other traffic issues so maybe they'll actually notice:)

As opposed to all the shits they give about the massive train-related backups that happen on Johnson, East Wash, John Nolen, Broom, etc.?!?

The problem is the train, not the street. The railroad uses that as a switching station, so the massive trains backup down, then stop while they switch the track, then return. The whole process takes fucking forever, no matter how many lanes there are...

The problem on Sherman is that, with just one lane in each direction, those backups go for blocks and blocks, often through controlled (red light) intersections, which complicates the situation even further as cross traffic gets a green and tries to access Sherman in the bumper to bumper wait for the train. It's a total mess.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Ninja wrote:The problem on Sherman is that, with just one lane in each direction, those backups go for blocks and blocks, often through controlled (red light) intersections, which complicates the situation even further as cross traffic gets a green and tries to access Sherman in the bumper to bumper wait for the train. It's a total mess.

Damn. Well, you've convinced me. I'm going to keep taking Packers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:07 pm

Sherman..Packers...both are clusterfux right now. I say we nuke Waunakee, Deforest and Sun Prairie, calm our traffic volume right on down;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 pm

If folks are in intersections against a red light, they should be ticketed. Next time they'll wait until they know they can make it through the intersection before entering.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:16 pm

rabble wrote:
Ninja wrote:The problem on Sherman is that, with just one lane in each direction, those backups go for blocks and blocks, often through controlled (red light) intersections, which complicates the situation even further as cross traffic gets a green and tries to access Sherman in the bumper to bumper wait for the train. It's a total mess.

Damn. Well, you've convinced me. I'm going to keep taking Packers.

I tried Packers, and I'm no coward, but that shit is terrifying. How hard is it to contain yourself to a single lane? Those lines matter!
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe