MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Construction on West High football field

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Construction on West High football field

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am

They've been tearing up the field adjacent to the school for months.
Hundreds of feet of black tubing installed under the turf.
The only thing I can think of is geo-thermal.
Anyone know what they're doing?
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Re: Construction on West High football field

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:23 pm

It's geothermal, according to the Principal.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:50 am

Economically and environmentally it's a no-brainer, but such a huge up-front cost. I can't believe it got funding. Bravo.
I found a synopsis of the project:
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/madi ... 08-25.html
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 am

Dairylander wrote:Economically and environmentally it's a no-brainer, but such a huge up-front cost. I can't believe it got funding. Bravo.
I found a synopsis of the project:
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/madi ... 08-25.html

That's about a school in Madison, Maine. But I guess it's interesting to read about a similar project.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Ha!
I'll try again:
http://host.madison.com/news/just-ask-u ... 62433.html
As for the gridiron, Holmes said there have been discussions with alumni and the district about the possibility of installing artificial turf instead of grass.?

Weird.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Dairylander wrote:
As for the gridiron, Holmes said there have been discussions with alumni and the district about the possibility of installing artificial turf instead of grass.?

Weird.

If it is anything like Memorial's athletic field, I suspect that this might be one of those few situations where artificial turf actually prevents injuries. When my son played, the fields were typically rock hard by the end of August, and mostly dirt a month later.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Isn't the West field just for practice? I thought they played their home games at Memorial's Dynie Mansfield Stadium. Or at least they used to.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Isn't the West field just for practice? I thought they played their home games at Memorial's Dynie Mansfield Stadium. Or at least they used to.

Yes - Varsity Football and Varsity Boys/Girls Soccer are at Mansfield for West and Memorial (for games only). I think that Sophomores and Freshmen play their games on the practice fields.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:35 am

I don't think we know anything about the environmental impact yet, but turf is a huge improvement for all-purpose high school fields. You can play a football game followed by a soccer game followed by a band practice followed by a lacrosse game in the pouring rain and never have to worry about it. There are up-front expenses, obviously, and it doesn't last forever but you never have to pay anyone to mow it or repaint it.

There's a problem with available field space in Madison, especially when we have a late spring like this year. The city should kick in and use the field for MSCR soccer and flag football during the summer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I've been on the artificial turf out at Keva, it's a good playing surface. The fake stuff has come a long way. An integral part is a layer of finely shredded car tires. It provides cushion like the chunkier version on kids' playgrounds.
If you take a used tire to the landfill they charge you extra for it as "toxic waste". But shred it up and it's safe way to recycle?
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby grumpybear » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Dairylander wrote:I've been on the artificial turf out at Keva, it's a good playing surface. The fake stuff has come a long way. An integral part is a layer of finely shredded car tires. It provides cushion like the chunkier version on kids' playgrounds.
If you take a used tire to the landfill they charge you extra for it as "toxic waste". But shred it up and it's safe way to recycle?

Anyone who advocates competitive soccer, such as WIAA, being played on turf is sorely misguided. I also play at Keva and at Breakaway. The outdoor field at Keva is awesome but the field is for recreational play, training, and getting a nice bit of exercise. Soccer as a competitive sport is played on grass. FIFA rules.
A turf field at West would be a nice soccer training field and it would be fine for American football. It would be a poor place to put serious soccer athletes due to the differences between astroturf and grass fields.
grumpybear

Return to Town Vibe