MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mifflin memories

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Mifflin memories

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Meade wrote:.

Having your period?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm

See if you can get Mifflin Memories from such people as Paul Soglin, Dave Cieslewicz, and Stu Levitan. Now those would be some interesting memories to read about.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:Stories about the fire starters and bottle throwers being largely out-of-towners seemed plausible.

Plausible but not real. I was an undergrad here for five years before I moved away and moved back and I was deep into that party. My best friends went through 36 barrels at 502 W. Mifflin. Cleaned out Kegs Korners, which still existed then, and most of Riely's stock. And I think that phenomenon was really what threw the party off course. It became super about making money, from the $3 cups to the jello shots to the tanks of nitrous that appeared in every parking lot behind every house (which was a new development that year) to the open sale of narcotics in the alleys. People would brag about the TV the house bought with their party proceeds, and shit like that. And that money competetion was kind of a normal part of the house party culture back then, but Mifflin was like the Super Bowl.

That year was more like a get fucked up flea market than it was a block party though. And then it got dark. And everybody was fucked up. And that's a horrible combination. I held up a big piece of plywood in front of a burning couch in the middle of the street (6 year statute of limitations, fyi) while getting nailed in the back with a fire hose, which, as a middle aged adult, I now acknowledge was absolutely idiotic and unacceptable, but every single person around me at that moment lived on the 500 block. The first couch came from the porch of the people who dragged it into the middle of the street. I can't vouch for the identity of the bottle throwers, and I did not participate in that, but I don't doubt that it was also mostly residents.

I never understood that compulsion to blame it all on out of towners. That was the immediate excuse even though it didn't really square with the reality of the citations issued, if I remember correctly. And even if it did, there was an obvious trend towards shuffling college kids off when they got into trouble, versus citing or cuffing bikers and black dudes.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 03, 2013 1:04 am

Interesting first person memoir. Nobody would rent an apartment on the 400 block of W Mifflin if they didn't expect to be part of the block party at the end of the year. If you hated it you would live somewhere else.

If it rains this weekend, that'll be nature's way of tapering the thing off.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 am

Ninja wrote:... the tanks of nitrous that appeared in every parking lot behind every house (which was a new development that year)

Just to clarify, the new development was multiple tanks in several parking lots, right? I quit going long before the riots and I remember nitrous being there way back when it was still a hippie fest.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am

rabble wrote:
Ninja wrote:... the tanks of nitrous that appeared in every parking lot behind every house (which was a new development that year)

Just to clarify, the new development was multiple tanks in several parking lots, right? I quit going long before the riots and I remember nitrous being there way back when it was still a hippie fest.

Oh yeah, there was always nitrous, but it seemed more like a business in 96, complete with big tents and mini-raves in every back lot. And many of them were professionals who I assume took a day off from their Phish tour or whatever.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:58 am

Ninja wrote:Oh yeah, there was always nitrous, but it seemed more like a business in 96, complete with big tents and mini-raves in every back lot. And many of them were professionals who I assume took a day off from their Phish tour or whatever.

It really did escalate that year as did everything. I was with 2 friends that year and we joked that we partied like Motley Crew. I can't believe I remember anything, but the amount of substances I was on was never surpassed after that. The one thing I remember distinctly is coming back from a walk on State Street, seeing a cop car come zooming in and they popped the trunk. We then saw them pull out riot gear and immediately walked back to State.

Later on we did see a couch burning and when some folks from a porch tried to put it out, the ones who started it got all riled up and the next thing you know a brawl started and someone got hit in the head with a bottle. The scene was totally fucked up and it was the last Mifflin I ever went to.

At least I went out with a bang.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 03, 2013 10:23 am

Anyone remember seeing a guy from Chicago named Barry? It would have been sometime between 1985 and 1990. He had some friends going to school up here and every once in while he'd drive up to Madison. He had some fun times up here in Madison. He can't give you all the details buuut... ha ha... he had some good memories here.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 am

Meade wrote:Anyone remember seeing a guy from Chicago named Barry? It would have been sometime between 1985 and 1990. He had some friends going to school up here and every once in while he'd drive up to Madison. He had some fun times up here in Madison. He can't give you all the details buuut... ha ha... he had some good memories here.

You are a profoundly lame person.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 am

THREE O’CLOCK IN THE morning. The moon-washed streets empty, the growl of a car picking up speed down a distant road. The revelers would be tucked away by now, paired off or alone, in deep, beer-heavy sleep, Hasan at his new lady’s place—don’t stay up, he had said with a wink. And now just the two of us to wait for the sunrise, me and Billie Holiday, her voice warbling through the darkened room, reaching toward me like a lover.

Obama, Barack (2007-01-09). Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance (Kindle Locations 1721-1725). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Ninja wrote:Oh yeah, there was always nitrous, but it seemed more like a business in 96, complete with big tents and mini-raves in every back lot. And many of them were professionals who I assume took a day off from their Phish tour or whatever.

96 was the year after Garcia died and the vendors who made a living following the Dead found themselves in a bind. If I remember correctly, that was also the year that festivals like Willy St et al gained a whole new crew. No nitrous but a lot of Tshirts, juggle sticks, and other things common to Phis and Dead concerts.

Now I'm picturing a nitrous tent at Willy Faire. Heh. That line would be longer than the beer line.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe