MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Free lawn advice from your friend Meade

Postby nutria » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:Using a term like banal elevates the critic. What he does is interesting, what you do is boring. The invocation of "vanity" is even worse, as though anyone who looks over his freshly-mowed lawn is feeling vain. Is shaving an exercise in vanity? Putting on deodorant? How unnecessary!

Saying you don't like to mow is, itself, rather banal, don't you think? Better to try and set yourself apart making a proclamation using no fewer than three adjectives.

But who doesn't recognize that when posted on TDPF, of all places, such a barb becomes even more ridiculous? "While you're wasting your time cutting grass, I'm over here typing out truth on the internet!"

I can't help but feel like you are going out of your way and putting a lot of effort into being offended here.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Where did I say I was offended?

I've been on this board forever. Not much offends me. Certainly nothing you write does.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Do you want us to contribute to the Internet Forum you run or not?

I couldn't care less either way. Just refrain from calling other, um, pastimes banal when you do.

By the way, I love cutting grass so much I pulled out the old reel mower the other day just because the sight of those blades of grass flying out the top is so satisfying. Excuse the following exercise in vanity: It's an American mower with a New Recruits sticker on it. One of the coolest things I own.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I am fond of my push mower. The other day my neighbor came over and told me how much she appreciates its quiet, relaxing spin cycle.

I get a little bit of a workout, and it never needs gas. Just keep the blades sharp and the wheels lubricated.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm

nutria wrote:So, here's what happened. The original title of this thread was "Do you really give a shit about your lawn?" or something like that. My first post, and I quote:
nutria wrote:There are few things in this world I find as vain, as unnecessary, and as downright banal as lawn care, especially when it comes to making the perfect square of green carpet so many people seem to obsess over. Sno hit on it earlier -- just go ahead and install astroturf, already.

FWIW, this imaginary conversation between god and St. Francis on lawn care sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

OK, jjoyce, Ninja, take note: this was my personal answer to the OP. Not adressed to anyone. Sometime shortly after my comment, the lawnmower brigade flew off the handle because I didn't tell them how special they were for their bullshit hobby. (I'll point out that quite a few of the Forum's lawn care enthusiasts recognized that my comment had nothing to do with them, and it ignored it thusly. Like adults.)

If I've learned one thing from this thread is that there is a higher degree of correlation than I had suspected between two groups I had formerly considered totally disparate: lawn jockeys and the insecure.

You guys need some fucking perspective.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Do you want us to contribute to the Internet Forum you run or not?

I couldn't care less either way.

Really?

I've never before sided with the "your moderation sucks" crowd, but I think telling those who post here that you don't actually give a rat's ass about their contributions is pretty shitty. (And would you say such a thing during a face-to-face conversation with someone?)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Anyone who thinks of his postings on this forum as "contributions" needs to think again.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toonces » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm

It looks like Flanders has taken a shine to you, Nutria.
Toonces
Forum Addict

Re: Do you really give a shit about your lawn?

Postby Ryanwiz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:
A nice, clean and tidy yard says something about me and my family (much like the clothes and hairstyles we wear).

Are you new in town?

Nope.
Ryanwiz

Previous

Return to Town Vibe