MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Do you really give a shit about your lawn?

Postby rabble » Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Slick Willy wrote: We were talking about Prof. Wagstaff's 'hood from what I remember. Do you need a quote for that, too?

I'm not sure. Are you saying Wags singlehandedly set the theme for the entire thread?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Live and let live with your lawn already

Postby Bland » Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Meade wrote:Anyone else here not the least bit surprised that Bland advocates being a vigilante?
What the hell is this even supposed to mean?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Think about it, Bland.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu May 23, 2013 8:10 pm

This pathetic, Type A, self-loathing asshole has sown his stupid non-native species ground cover seeds and couldn't resist coming back and checking out how this whole shit storm afternoon originally sparked.

I would say everything went off the rails at 11:46am on May 15, and then totally tipped over shortly after at 11:57am. That's really what I was reacting to with my first post, which itself was quite innocuous. I'll wait for you to go read those posts...

Are you fucking kidding me? You guys spent 3 pages making shitty little comments about what "fucking suckers" we are for taking some small amount of enjoyment in such a "vain," "unecessary," "banal" pastime. You brought in people's parenting ability for christ sake. Joyce makes one small crack back in response and you immediately sprawl out on the ground in the victim pose and it's "Oh no, you're freaking out at me with your dander, lawn jockey!" and "Sheesh! Settle down Mr. Sensitive, with your totally unjustified violent rage." And it stayed that way ever since.

You did the same thing to me all day. In the past few summers I've probably mowed about twice a month on average. I've had multiple "weed incidents" that obviously impacted a neighbor, who works very hard on his lawn but remained as friendly and gracious as ever. It's just that I'm not some angsty, anti-social dipshit, so I understand why other people might have a problem with that situation and I make a real effort to respect that. Somehow here today I became the lawn nazi who insists everyone on the block mow 3X a week, but also, even more unbelievably, the guy who's making up imaginary fiction about others and arguing with straw men! That's insane.

There's something seriously wrong with a few of you folks. That's probably what your neighbors are really stink-eyeing you about. Your shitty lawn is just a symptom of your larger mental health and/or social problems.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do you really give a shit about your lawn?

Postby Ninja » Thu May 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Meade wrote:I just came in from keeping my yard neat and trim and I see this disgraceful pile-on by a number of forons, effectively chilling Ninja's free speech.

I'm not kidding dude. I really don't like you. Don't reference me, don't defend me, don't even acknowledge me. And if you talk to me, expect this kind of response. I put you in an entirely different catagory than anyone else here and it's a really fucked up catagory. And I've said this to you before - it's not about some kind of internet persona, or culture war role, or temporary act. You're a seriously flawed person. Take it personally.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Meade wrote:Think about it, Bland.

There's nothing to think about.
If you can't explain it, it's exactly as nonsensical as I believe it to be.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm

???

Bland, I don't get it either. Maybe he'll post a picture of Lee Harvey Oswald next.

Ninja, we may not agree about lawns but we definitely agree about a few other things.

Still, I'd rather talk about -- and enjoy -- lawns. I was just working in my prairie garden and it was so beautiful I wanted to stand out in it all night. I think that's what a successful lawn/yard/garden is all about. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful environment. What a terrific spring we've had.

I know, I'm babbling. But enjoy it while you can.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Raymond Carver would ask, What do we talk about when we talk about Schizachyrium scoparium?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Ninja, that was beautiful, dude.

Srsly.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm

So you respond to the guy who literally tells you never to reference him, but you're too cowardly to explain yourself to someone who actually does want a response? You really are beyond pathetic.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I know. But, Bland - think of it as an opportunity to display some of your storied ability to empathize. Can you?

Thanks.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:???

so much I just don't understand here.
snoqueen wrote:What a terrific spring we've had.

I know, I'm babbling. But enjoy it while you can.

I could babble all day about what a great Spring we've had. The toothwort was just great.

I put some new stuff in. I've hardly had to water it because of the all the rain.

The strawberries are going like gangbusters. If the predators take out a few more bunnies, I might even enjoy some of the fruits.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Gollum was workng the loophole: you can't reference a person.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Ninja wrote:I would say everything went off the rails at 11:46am on May 15, and then totally tipped over shortly after at 11:57am. That's really what I was reacting to with my first post, which itself was quite innocuous. I'll wait for you to go read those posts...

Holy shit. This whole flame war has been a neverending "Leave jjoyce ALONE!" rant.

I'm stunned. I didn't realize what was going on, and I'm outa this catfight.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Christ, with this rain two days and then sun two days cycle we got goin on, my shit is growing like crazy.

If I don't get to it this weekend it's gonna be fascia level soon.

Usually the kid down the street has offered his services by now. Haven't seen him at all this year yet.

Maybe he's kickin' it with the jays I don't see any more either.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe