MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Do you really give a shit about your lawn?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 am

PROTIP: Just stop giving people weird looks, and ignore the ones shot at you. You do you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I know, as I asked when I wanted my black walnut removed.

You asked... who? An arborist who can't afford to equip himself with a metal detector?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 am

It was a small saw mill in Mazo. They said a metal detector won't detect hard, non-ferrous junk, such as ceramics. My black walnut was about 100 years old, so who knows what was below the bark.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

Ninja wrote:I don't understand the edgy teenager hostility towards taking care of one's lawn. You don't want to do it? Fine. But people are going to look at you weird.

This is hilarious. So "looking at you weird" isn't hostile at all, huh? And from which direction stems the hostility in this thread?

Here's what I don't get: My lawn is far and away better looking than some on our block. I mow and try to keep it neat ... to a point. I just think it's silly to expend time and money to keep the damn thing looking like a golf course. And I will absolutely not spray chemicals on my lawn (let alone let one of those services who won't disclose what they're spraying do it) because I have a dog and young kids and carcinogens and neurological agents are not stuff I want to expose them to.

My neighbor sprays the shit out of his lawn, with little regard for whether my dog and/or kids are down-wind on the opposite side of the chain link fence that separates our yard. That may not be hostile, but it sure as fuck ain't neighborly (oh, but I'm the bad neighbor ... right ... gotta remember that). This same guy constantly comments about the weeds in my yard. But why does he care when he's going to spray come hell or high water, regardless of what's sprouting in my yard?

See, that's what I don't get. I don't comment on his shit, but sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, he'll say something about mine, despite that it has no impact whatsoever on his lawn. He was spraying the day we moved in, and he'll be spraying until he's pushing up the very species he's cultivating. So again, who's the asshole in this equation?

By the way, this is my backyard I'm referring to. The front that's visible to the street is largely landscaped with perennials. So I don't really want to hear about how I'm dragging down the whole block, because that's a load of horseshit in my case.

Look at me weird all you want. I promise I won't return the insult. But I will think to myself as I pass your manicured lawn that you're probably not a very good steward of the environment, and anyone who hires a weed service who wants to claim otherwise is positively brimming with it.

But no, I'll leave the verbal disdain and snide remarks to the dedicated lawn warriors like you, my neighbor and JJ.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu May 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu May 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Ninja wrote:I don't understand the edgy teenager hostility towards taking care of one's lawn. You don't want to do it? Fine. But people are going to look at you weird.

Oh, fer fuck's sake. How can you actually string these thoughts together? You just wrote, in effect, "Don't act like a teenager. Be more concerned with what others think of you."

Here's the deal: you want to obsess over window dressing? Knock yourself out. But, and this may be hard for you to hear, some people may look at you weird. Or, and this is harder to hear (and much more likely), nobody will notice at all.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Hmm, judging by this and the N. Sherman threads, Ninja seems to have teenager issues.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:

This is hilarious. So "looking at you weird" isn't hostile at all, huh? And from which direction stems the hostility in this thread?

It seems to stem mostly from the insecure teenagers who want to buck the status quo and talk shit about the normals but still be invited to the block party.

You want to be the weirdo with the weird lawn? Awesome. Do your thing. But don't then whine when you get treated like the weirdo with the weird lawn by your neighbors. You're not required to go with the flow, but no one else is required to respect your decision to do otherwise and give you high fives for it either.

And it doesn't even sound to me like you've got an exceptionally weird lawn. Tell your neighbor to fuck off and mind his own business if his looks bother you so much. Or conform. But don't just sit there and make snotty generalizations on the internet about everyone else who uses a a gas mower or invests money in landscaping just because you think you're in some kind of bizarre silent war with us.

Your conflict is with your neighbor. Save your insults and condescension for him, because you sound silly and childish lashing out at the world.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

nutria wrote:

Oh, fer fuck's sake. How can you actually string these thoughts together? You just wrote, in effect, "Don't act like a teenager. Be more concerned with what others think of you."

Here's the deal: you want to obsess over window dressing? Knock yourself out. But, and this may be hard for you to hear, some people may look at you weird. Or, and this is harder to hear (and much more likely), nobody will notice at all.

That's my point. A lot of these comments seem to come from the adult version of the mopey goth kid in face paint who intentioanlly acts weird but then whines about not being accepted by the cool kids.

We're all free to do whatever we want with our lawns as long as we comply with the ordinances. But that doesn't mean that there won't be social consequences to our decisions. Adults accept that. Teenagers try to have it both ways so they bitch about the reactions that their deliberate actions evoke.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Ninja wrote:We're all free to do whatever we want with our lawns as long as we comply with the ordinances. But that doesn't mean that there won't be social consequences to our decisions

Yeah. And in my neighborhood, it's you that's getting the treatment you're telling others they shouldn't be complaining about, because if you have a weird lawn you deserve it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm

rabble wrote:
Ninja wrote:We're all free to do whatever we want with our lawns as long as we comply with the ordinances. But that doesn't mean that there won't be social consequences to our decisions

Yeah. And in my neighborhood, it's you that's getting the treatment you're telling others they shouldn't be complaining about, because if you have a weird lawn you deserve it.

That's fine. If that happened I definitely wouldn't be on the internet bitching about how they're all so stupid and unfair to me.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Lawn psychos.

That's a keeper.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Ninja wrote:That's fine. If that happened I definitely wouldn't be on the internet bitching about how they're all so stupid and unfair to me.

No.

You're on the internet bitching and complaining about how stupid those other people are.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:57 pm

So I still haven't mowed my grass yet this year. Looks like complete shit. Neither has my neighbor so I don't feel so bad. Doesn't really bother me and if my neighbors think I'm "weird" so be it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I love mowing my lawn. This time of year, I like to mow it morning, noon, and night. Barefoot. It feels so cool under my feet. Smells like heaven when cut. And it looks terrific. People walking by often stop and ask me, "Meade, how do you get it so perfect". I invite them in to sit on it, feel it, smell it.

I used to mow my next door neighbor's lawn too, just because. I knew he didn't like to mow it and since I can't get enough of lawn mowing, I'd mow his. But then he had his lawn taken out and put in gravel and bark.

*Sads*
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe