MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Let's bitch about construction

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Let's bitch about construction

Postby Beaver » Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Beaver wrote:Blame Epic. They are ruining the Far West side.

Since when is Fish Hatchery and the Beltline the "far west side" and why did you capitalize "far west"

Also, Epic is 12 miles away from that interchange. That was an idiotic insinuation. I guess we should just blame all construction on Epic.

I was referring to the original bdog post about Mineral Pt and Junction rd, not Fish Hatch and the Beltline. I should have made that clearer. I thought directions like Far West were supposed to be in caps. Yes I do blame Epic for the urban sprawl on the far West.

Settle down. This is a message board not a phd thesis.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:08 pm

If negotiating the Verona Road construction area is bugging you, consider that it might shut down unless Congress does something about the Highway Trust Fund, which is running out of money. The fund depends upon user fees (gas tax) and with more fuel efficient vehicles, the tax is no longer sufficient to cover highway construction costs.

I thought the GOP was all about user fees to pay for government expenditures.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:If negotiating the Verona Road construction area is bugging you, consider that it might shut down unless Congress does something about the Highway Trust Fund, which is running out of money.

A good solution might be to stop wasting money on frivolous construction projects that 1) don't really need to happen, 2) could be finished in a fraction of the time, and 3), really fuck up the city with fly-by-night fad traffic concepts.

The contemporary design of the city is one of the unquestionably shrewd and laudable achievements of Madison's designers. It's sad how the city's new planners are resolutely determined to take a great, flowing grid and turn it into a single-file, hellish, concentration camp of a driving experience, out of no other impulse than sheer contempt for the automobile.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:If negotiating the Verona Road construction area is bugging you, consider that it might shut down unless Congress does something about the Highway Trust Fund, which is running out of money.

A good solution might be to stop wasting money on frivolous construction projects that 1) don't really need to happen, 2) could be finished in a fraction of the time, and 3), really fuck up the city with fly-by-night fad traffic concepts.

The contemporary design of the city is one of the unquestionably shrewd and laudable achievements of Madison's designers. It's sad how the city's new planners are resolutely determined to take a great, flowing grid and turn it into a single-file, hellish, concentration camp of a driving experience, out of no other impulse than sheer contempt for the automobile.

Another solution would be to have a functional, competent Congress who could head off these issues when they become apparent, rather than waiting years until they're emergencies.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I want nice roads with no potholes, plenty of lanes, etc. but no construction. Please fix all these roads but no construction PLEASE!
Ted

Previous

Return to Town Vibe