MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
kayaks
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gorham Street Clusterfuck?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Gorham Street Clusterfuck?

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 am

First morning in a while with relatively light traffic for me in a few weeks, then I try to park. I park at the Overture ramp for work, I had no idea what was going on today. Cops everywhere. I used my pass to get into the ramp (even though the FULL light is on, there are still supposed to be enough open spaces left for people who use the ramp for work). Nope. Every spot full, more people trying to get in. I pulled back out of the ramp and shrugged.

THANKS, DALAI LAMA
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

More traffic fun: Yesterday something big happened on the beltline causing it to be completely stopped on the west-bound side. So I jumped off and ended up heading west on Odana, only to run into a traffic jam around the freshly-opened Hy-Vee.

Time to make the down payment on a helicopter.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 am

snoqueen wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:...whats the point of trying to box out a bus when they're trying to merge back into traffic? There was a string of assholes today that kept pushing the number 28 bus back to the curb rather than give up their one car-length lead into downtown.

Years ago I had a good friend who drove bus for Metro. I asked him about that (we can all agree it's stupid) and he said oh, it happens all the time. The old timers just close their eyes and gun it.

Something to keep in mind next time you decide you're more important than a bus.

That's beautiful!

Having ample time sitting on the bus this past winter, I'd keep an eye on cars we were traveling inbound with. I found on most days in normal morning traffic, I'd arrive at my destination at the same time as the cars that we were traveling along side -- even cars that were not in the bus's lane. Now if there is light traffic the bus is quite a bit slower than a single car, but during rush hours I think bus riders come out ahead. You arrive at the same time as an automobile, but you don't have to stop, park, and walk where you're going -- hop off the bus and you're done.

Biking, when the weather finally turned agreeable, is the big winner for me. When I turn onto Gorham from Sherman I usually beat the cars and motorcycles that I travel with by a block or more --- and I'm fat and slow. By the time we all hit Wisconsin Ave, they're fucked.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 am

This whole thread reminds me that people in Madison are, in general, just shitty drivers, bike riders, mopedalists, boaters and pedestrians. I love this city but it's deadly out there if you don't watch yourself. Red lights mean less than yellow lights. Don't walk means walk as slowly as you wanna without looking up. No wake means fuck you, I have a bigger boat and 4 cocktails in me. Bike lanes mean I will ride wherever I wanna and ignore every rule of the road just because I feel like it today. Are we the only city where the cops tell the newspaper where the speed traps will be each week? On the bright side, at least someone I love got a liver from a helmet-less person recently! Now get out there and enjoy this beautiful spring day:)

Just don't lose your bus pass;)

http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... 6607e.html
Last edited by david cohen on Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm

No one makes any effort. Even the cops can't be bothered to follow basic traffic laws. I think it's rural/suburban entitlement. Not many city people living in this city.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe