MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Interesting stuff to photograph nearby

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Interesting stuff to photograph nearby

Postby zeropoint » Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 am

I'm a beginning photographer looking for things outside of the obvious to photograph. I posted a thread devoted to looking for abandoned places, but now I'm looking for cool places/things in general. I've already googled and read up on roadside attractions in the Madison area, so I'm set for the "classics." Thanks!
zeropoint

Re: Interesting stuff to photograph nearby

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 31, 2013 8:00 am

Dr. Evermor's Dreamkeepers on South Paterson.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zeropoint » Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 am

So funny you suggested those; got up at sunrise to photograph them today and am planning a trip out there as well to Dr. Evermor's.
zeropoint

Postby Detritus » Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 am

I don't know how far along you are in getting comfortable with your camera, but I did a lot of flower and plant photography in the beginning. It's a great way to learn how to control depth of focus etc., and of course the subjects don't run out of patience with you. the botany garden on University at the top of Mills St. has some funky specimens, as does the greenhouse behind Birge, if you're looking for things that don't look "normal."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 am

The Flickr stream Isthmus occasionally features (is that still happening?) has some terrific local photos. (If it's not here any more, go to Flickr and enter some relevant search terms about Madison.) Maybe browsing through those will inspire you.

(Personally, I think the change of ownership and subsequent clutterification of Flickr has totally ruined it, but the best photos are still in there somewhere. I refuse to sign in and start receiving junk email every damn time I want to look at something, and I've created endless dead-end accounts as a workaround.)

Personally, I like taking pictures of things over time. I can informally document a series of changes, whether of plants, buildings, landscapes, or whatever else. This started kind of by accident but now I make it happen deliberately.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 am

snoqueen wrote:(Personally, I think the change of ownership and subsequent clutterification of Flickr has totally ruined it...)

Just for the record, Flickr's been owned by Yahoo for a pretty internet-long time (2005, according to Wikipedia). There have been changes in the people at Yahoo overseeing the service, and other than the recent layout change, the developments at Flickr in the post-Facebookstagram era have been really well-received by the user base.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Maybe it's that new woman running Yahoo, then. Thanks for the clarification. Something sure changed.

Anyway, it's a complete mess, the search box is buried where no one can find it, I have no idea what a Gallery even IS (and I tried to figure it out), and the whole thing is a disservice to the many excellent amateur photographers who put their stuff up.

But it's still a great place to go for inspiration, if you can navigate through the nonsense. There was one contributor -- madisonguy? not sure -- who I thought did some brilliant stuff among many others.

And I see Isthmus still runs an occasional link to Flickr's Isthmus pool, which is excellent if it pops up for you because it bypasses the splashy stuff.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri May 31, 2013 12:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:Anyway, it's a complete mess, the search box is buried where no one can find it

It's right at the top of the page when I use it.

I'll agree I don't like some of the changes but that's not one of them.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac so maybe that matters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_esmond/
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 pm

The Isthmus Flickr group is still very active. In fact, it's right over there ==> , right above the ad for buying hockey tickets.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Flickr is giving 2TB of storage away for free. I just moved about 9800 photos over there for back up purposes. New design is pretty great too. A little slow but maybe that has something to do with 9800 photos.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 31, 2013 3:16 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Flickr is giving 2TB of storage away for free. I just moved about 9800 photos over there for back up purposes.

I guess they must have done away with the per-month upload limit that still initially existed even on the "free" TB. I know that was irking some folks when the freebie was announced.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 pm

I think Flikr is 1TB free but that is still a lot.
zeropoint wrote:I'm a beginning photographer looking for things outside of the obvious to photograph. I posted a thread devoted to looking for abandoned places, but now I'm looking for cool places/things in general.

Join the Madison Photography meetup group. They go on fun photo outings every month. Or you can just share photos and techniques:

http://www.meetup.com/Photography-Meetup-Group/
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe