MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Fishing/photo vests

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Fishing/photo vests

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 pm

The weekend's Marquette Waterfront Festival allowed for some great people watching, as always. In fashion at this year's event were pregnancy (noticed 20 or more very pregnant women on Saturday evening) and dudes in these cargo vests. Know what I'm talking about? I think they're technically for photographers. Mostly tan, but come in other shades. Light weight. Some have mesh portions to allow for air flow. But the selling point seems to be many pockets. And the guys wearing them tend to be of a certain age.

So what age are you when you make the decision that the easiest way to keep track of all your stuff is to organize it into a wearable filing system?

I understand the thought process (if I keep everything in my vest and I always wear my vest then I'll always have everything with me), but I don't necessarily understand the sartorial statement, or lack thereof.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fishing/photo vests

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm guessing it's at least 20 years after the hipster messenger bag gets retired.

The only appropriate organizing vest if you are not a professional photographer is a Zombie-preparedness vest.

*Kudos to whatever software made "Zombie-preparedness" show up in auto-correct.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:So what age are you when you make the decision that the easiest way to keep track of all your stuff is to organize it into a wearable filing system?

Is this the precursor to a fanny pack or has it taken over. I cherish the day when I don't give a shit a start using a fanny pack. Maybe even a nice leather one.

The vest has too many pockets. I'd forget where I put shit and have to search each pocket every time I wanted something.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I noticed the prevalence of pregnancy as well but I can't say I noticed the vests. I didn't feel the need to bring anything beyond a chair, jacket, and umbrella to the Waterfront Festival. I do have a bright yellow reflective surveying vest with plenty of handy pockets and pouches but I can't say I've felt the need to wear it in public outside of work.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Even more frightening;
Perhaps it was 'tactical' gear?
Hard to know these days.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 pm

It's a waterfront festival, not a fashion show. People wear what works best.

Stuff a person might carry to a festival:

Wallet
Phone
Sunscreen
Insect repellent
Camera if you don't like the one in your phone
Something small to eat
Keys
Hat and/or sunglasses
Light jacket for if it gets cool at night
Bottle of water

There's probably more. Never mind the bike cable and helmet, which pretty much can stay with the bike once you lock it up. If you have a little kid or two, multiply the above list by ten.

Cramming your stuff in your pants pockets just makes you waddle instead of walk. Why not a vest, so you can see where it all is and get at it easily? Backpacks are standard, but they can be a nuisance and are not comfortable for long-time sitting.

People under 22 have a shorter list of stuff:
Wallet
Phone
Keys

They do the pocket thing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's a waterfront festival, not a fashion show. People wear what works best.
Stuff a person might carry to...:
Wallet
Phone
Sunscreen
Insect repellent
There's probably more. Never mind the bike cable and helmet...
Cramming your stuff in your pants pockets just makes you waddle...

But if it's 'tactical'...
http://mollepouches.org/what-is-a-tactical-gear
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:39 am

Is this the appropriate place to bring up kilt dude?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:21 am

jjoyce wrote:Is this the appropriate place to bring up kilt dude?

My friend's older brother swears by the Utilikilt. I've always been on Team Pants but I can see the allure. Plus there's no need for vest with the amount of stuff those things can hold.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 am

I was less disturbed by kilt dude (although he really should have had a clan tartan) than pirate guy.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for pirate rights. He was awfully scowly, though.

Message to pirate guy: don't be a scowly pirate; be a smiley pirate!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm

I didn't catch pirate guy. I did have a discussion with a skirt-wearing woman at the Harmony, however, and she indicated that all dudes should wise up to the comforts of the skirt/kilt. She had no answer for me when I asked whether she'd accept a date request from a dude in a kilt.

Anybody see the guy with the taxidermy fox?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:I didn't catch pirate guy. I did have a discussion with a skirt-wearing woman at the Harmony, however, and she indicated that all dudes should wise up to the comforts of the skirt/kilt. She had no answer for me when I asked whether she'd accept a date request from a dude in a kilt.

Anybody see the guy with the taxidermy fox?

It used to be unremarkable to see dudes wearing loose, gauzy skirts at the hippie shows. I thought about it, cuz yeah, it looked very comfy in the summer heat, but then I would have had to wear a fishing vest to hold all my items, and that would've ruined the look. There also was a contingent of field hockey-type skirt wearing men playing ultimate, but that seems to be dying out along with the Spirit of The Game.

Finally, I am fairly certain it was a coyote. My daughter petted it on the head.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe