MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

DWI Checkpoint on Sherman Ave. Tonight

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: DWI Checkpoint on Sherman Ave. Tonight

Postby barney » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm

But anyhoo, the long and the short of it is that the supposed checkpoint wasn't really a checkpoint was just a dick move by some cops to get people who either had something to hide or were just DWB?

Either way, not cool.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Another part of that thread goes down a funny path, saying that a drug dog can't be the source of hearsay because only a "person" can and a dog isn't a "person." And yet police dogs and horses are considered "officers" to the extent that battery to one is the same as battery to a police officer.

Not really. The batterer would have to have a) done the act intentionally, b) known the animal was a police animal, and c) killed it.

940.20 Battery: special circumstances
(2) Battery to law enforcement officers, fire fighters, and commission wardens. Whoever intentionally causes bodily harm to a law enforcement officer or fire fighter, as those terms are defined in s. 102.475 (8) (b) and (c), or to a commission warden, acting in an official capacity and the person knows or has reason to know that the victim is a law enforcement officer, fire fighter, or commission warden, by an act done without the consent of the person so injured, is guilty of a Class H felony.

951.095  Harassment of police and fire animals.
(1) No person may do any of the following to any animal that is used by a law enforcement agency or fire department to perform agency or department functions or duties:
(1)(a) Frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse or harass the animal.
(1)(b) Strike, shove, kick or otherwise subject the animal to physical contact.
(1)(c) Strike the animal by using a dangerous weapon.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
(2)(a) Any act that is performed by or with the authorization of the animal's handler or rider.
(2)(b) Any act that is necessary for the training of an animal to perform functions or duties for a law enforcement agency.

951.18 Penalties
(2m) Any person who violates s. 951.095 is subject to a Class B forfeiture. Any person who intentionally or negligently violates s. 951.095, knowing that the animal that is the victim is used by a law enforcement agency or fire department to perform agency or department functions or duties, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Any person who intentionally violates s. 951.095, knowing that the animal that is the victim is used by a law enforcement agency or fire department to perform agency or department functions or duties and causing injury to the animal, is guilty of a Class I felony. Any person who intentionally violates s. 951.095, knowing that the animal that is the victim is used by a law enforcement agency or fire department to perform agency or department functions or duties and causing death to the animal, is guilty of a Class H felony.

End long threadjack.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:End long threadjack.

Don't you dare drop the mic on me.

There was a guy who was charged with battery to a police officer when he hit a horse on its flank at a Freakfest a couple years back.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 pm

barney wrote:But anyhoo, the long and the short of it is that the supposed checkpoint wasn't really a checkpoint was just a dick move by some cops to get people who either had something to hide or were just DWB?

Either way, not cool.

Maple Bluff doesn't need a Task Force to enforce DWB.

Curious that I was not pulled over, despite the fact that I turned off of Sherman at Oxford (while heading south), at the first sight of the lights (and immediately after the first "Task Force" sign). You'd think that was the type of "behavior" that would draw attention. But then, I was DWW.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:There was a guy who was charged with battery to a police officer when he hit a horse on its flank at a Freakfest a couple years back.

Even if she's not classically pretty, I don't think calling her a horse is fair.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/crim ... 03286.html

Though in all seriousness, I imagine this passage is what you're thinking of:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... ticle=4633

One problem in 2005 was the behavior of mostly intoxicated revelers towards police horses. Hanson stresses that partiers should keep their hands off the animals. "If a person wants to talk to the mounted officer, that's great," he says, "but what we saw was slapping and hitting of the horses, and that's completely inappropriate." Violators can be charged with "abuse to a police animal," Hanson says.

I don't know exactly what Hanson was referring to, but the crime as stated in the Madison municipal ordinance is basically the same as in the state statutes.

23.185 HARASSMENT OF POLICE ANIMALS PROHIBITED.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to frighten, intimidate, threaten, abuse, harass, strike, shove, kick or
otherwise subject to physical contact unauthorized by its handler an animal used by a law
enforcement agency to perform any duties or functions.
(2) As used in this section, law enforcement agency means a governmental unit of one or more
persons employed full time by the state or a political subdivision of the state for the purpose of
preventing and detecting crime and enforcing state laws or local ordinances, employees of which
unit are authorized to make arrests for crimes and ordinance violations while acting within the
scope of their authority.
(3) Violators shall be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $50 nor more than $300.
(Sec. 23.185 Cr. by Ord. 10,513, 9-24-92)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Well it clearly wasn't an actual checkpoint because they weren't single-filing the vehicles down to a stop and talking to every driver, yet they had the DWI checkpoint sign (orange with black letters stating as such) displayed. Jman didn't get pulled while avoiding it, and I didn't get pulled while heading straight through the main "scene". They certainly had plenty of manpower out there. As I continued down Sherman headed north, an MPD cruiser pulled out from Citgo and followed me all the way to Northport, but he looked like he was headed back to the north district station. I do wonder what the city and village were up to since they clearly had pulled over 10-15 vehicles in that area. Is it legal to fake an illegal DWI checkpoint? I kinda figured the GOP had changed the law this last session or something to that effect.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 pm

The good news is that the boozers who live around Oscars ride their bikes to the tavern since they've long-ago lost their licenses. So only hipster douchebags who were slumming it on the Northside got netted.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Yes, some chronic drunks ride bikes after losing their license. But many still drive.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I don't know exactly what Hanson was referring to, but the crime as stated in the Madison municipal ordinance is basically the same as in the state statutes.

Well then this thread just really proves the point, as it was a police dog who told this all to me in the first place. That lying mutt.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, some chronic drunks ride bikes after losing their license. But many still drive.

Then I suggest you get a bike.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:31 pm

I just played straight man to your tired response.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:31 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I don't know exactly what Hanson was referring to, but the crime as stated in the Madison municipal ordinance is basically the same as in the state statutes.

Well then this thread just really proves the point, as it was a police dog who told this all to me in the first place. That lying mutt.

Ruh-roh!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 am

david cohen wrote:Well it clearly wasn't an actual checkpoint because they weren't single-filing the vehicles down to a stop and talking to every driver, yet they had the DWI checkpoint sign (orange with black letters stating as such) displayed.

For what it's worth, I didn't see any indication of a "checkpoint", specifically. The sign that I saw read "OWI Task Force Ahead", or something similar.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Gee Ned, I've lived on the northside for 17 yrs and I don't know any hipster douchebags...but I do know an encephalitic troll when I see one.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 pm

If MPD placed a sobriety checkpoint on Jennifer St on a Friday night they could make enough money off of fines to support MPD for a year. Marsha Rummel would never let it happen. Laws and enforcement of those laws are for those other people.
baked goods

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe