MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Law Park access proposal

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Law Park access proposal

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm

The city is finally trying to figure out how to get from the Square to Law Park and Lake Monona. If I remember Wright, he proposed direct access. (Maybe it was Nolan.) He probably wasn't thinking that an elevator would do the trick.

But now, a special city committee, staff and consultants are narrowing concepts for new options -- including pedestrian bridges -- to cross train tracks and John Nolen Drive. The city is also examining improvements to key intersections on John Nolen Drive, better paths and trails in Law Park, changes to Wilson Street, and where to put a transit center for inter-city buses.

The mobility challenges have been vexing for decades, project manager David Trowbridge said, adding, "We're finally trying to knuckle down and tackle them."

The committee, which has been working for months, has scheduled a public meeting to share preliminary concepts and receive input for Sept. 5.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Law Park access proposal

Postby Ted » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am

I'm especially looking forward to them doing something with the "hairball" intersection at Nolen,Blair,Wilson and Williamson. There's that stupid unsynchronized "double" pedestrian/bike signal when crossing from the end of Law park to the other side of Willy street. I'm can't believe somebody hasn't been hurt there. Who came up with that?!?
Ted

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 am

Ted wrote:I'm can't believe somebody hasn't been hurt there. Who came up with that?!?

Several people have been hurt there.

I look forward (perhaps over optimistically) to better solution.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm

There used to be a model of a Monona Terrace-Law Park proposal in the office window of Kenton Peters on E. Wilson. Don't know if it's still there but it was fun to look at.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe