MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Coneheads: "No parking in front of MY house"

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote: It works only if it is enforced. The south side of 1700 block of Drake Street has a two-hour limit. Since it is next to the Vilas Park and Zoo, on warm, sunny days that block is always parked full and many cars park for well over two hours. Yet they never get a ticket.

I assure you, plenty of tickets are issued in that neighborhood. Maybe they are less strict on weekends.

I have lived in that neighborhood for most of the last 40 years. That street, with a two-hour limit, sees absolutely no enforcement even during weekdays.

I live a few blocks away and my street also has a two-hour limit. It is enforced one day every week or two.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: I have lived in that neighborhood for most of the last 40 years. That street, with a two-hour limit, sees absolutely no enforcement even during weekdays.

I live a few blocks away and my street also has a two-hour limit. It is enforced one day every week or two.

You are mistaken. I parked regularly in that neighborhood from 2000 to 2005. After 3 hours or so, you get a ticket. I doubt your particular block is some sort of parking refuge.

I understand you aren't noticing the parking trucks as you sip your mint julips in your lounge chair, or build your bird feeders in the garage. But when one is on the receiving end of a parking ticket, the presence of parking enforcement comes into sharp focus.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Your data is nearly a decade old.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Instead of arguing pointlessly about this, why not do an experiment?

Somebody go park on that block tomorrow morning and leave your car there for the rest of the day, and we'll see who's right, Henry or Huckleby.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

My voracity has been challenged by this scoundrel, and I demand satisfaction.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Huckleby wrote:My voracity has been challenged by this scoundrel, and I demand satisfaction.

:shock:
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:18 pm

hee heee, I meant veracity, but you were too quick with the red pen
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Oh, I thought you were challenging HV to a pie-eating duel or something.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

game on
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:52 pm

The folks that think parking should be abundant, convenient, and free (or cheap) have no knowledge of trying to provide parking, either as a private developer or as a public entity. You can only have two of the three. The only places that actually works are places with few people, like Detroit or the suburbs. Where there are many people, there also tend to be many cars, so there is competition for parking. If it is convenient and free, it is not abundant. If it is abundant and convenient, it is not free/cheap, etc.

Now, one pint I have to bring up is that people do not have to drive door to door for every trip, so parking (your car, since parking a bicycle, horse, wagon is an entirely different question) becomes a non-issue if you are not using your car to get to that location where there is trouble finding parking.

If there is a parking crunch somewhere, there is almost surely also another option for arriving at that destination. Walk a little farther, bike, take the bus, skateboard, or take a cab, and your parking issues are solved.

Plenty of people here in Madison and plenty of areas of this and other cities survive just fine without lots on free/cheap on-street parking.

Tight parking supply does not equal lack of access for anyone.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 pm

roadkill bill wrote:The folks that think parking should be abundant, convenient, and free (or cheap) have no knowledge of trying to provide parking, either as a private developer or as a public entity.

I have much knowledge of the parking situation in Madison, and that's enough to call bullshit. Convenient, abundant, free parking certainly are reasonable aspirations, even though they are not perfectly attainable. I can look around and see that the 2-hour parking system works rather well. The suggestion I would make is to allow more of it, lots of streets are needlessly marked for no-parking.

What is your objection? Well, we shall soon see....

roadkill bill wrote: Now, one pint I have to bring up is that people do not have to drive door to door for every trip, so parking (your car, since parking a bicycle, horse, wagon is an entirely different question) becomes a non-issue if you are not using your car to get to that location where there is trouble finding parking.

If there is a parking crunch somewhere, there is almost surely also another option for arriving at that destination. Walk a little farther, bike, take the bus, skateboard, or take a cab, and your parking issues are solved.

You are against plentiful parking because you want to limit and control people, tell them how to move and behave.

roadkill bill wrote: Tight parking supply does not equal lack of access for anyone.

Oh, the hell it doesn't. Tight, a.k.a. expensive, parking limits the freedom and opportunity for lower income people. A lot of people over 50 can't walk like they used to. It limits everyone to a considerable degree.

Obviously there are congested areas of cities where parking is limited by density. You want to limit parking by policy. Phooey.
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Huckleby wrote:I have much knowledge of the parking situation in Madison, and that's enough to call bullshit...

...I can look around and see that the 2-hour parking system works rather well.
Huckleby, you are exquisitely wrong on this issue. You have a tiny amount of empirical, subjective data, nowhere near enough to say whether 2-hour parking is working "well" or not. For starters, what quantifiable metric are you using to evaluate the efficiency of the 2-hour policy? Your own impression of how easy it is to find 2 hour parking?
Huckleby wrote:You are against plentiful parking because you want to limit and control people, tell them how to move and behave.
...says the guy trying to impose parking time limits more expansively.
Huckleby wrote:Obviously there are congested areas of cities where parking is limited by density. You want to limit parking by policy. Phooey.
Again, you are the one supporting limits, but I'll humor the internal inconsistencies in your argument for now. Are you saying that the construction of parking spaces should be left to land developers?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Huckleby, you are so right. And another thing, why can't I park in front of the Orpheum Theater? I WANT TO PARK IN FRONT OF THE ORPHEUM!!! It's those people who are trying to limit and control my freedom of movement who are preventing me from parking on State Street in front of the Orpheum!

And don't go telling me about the parking garage right around the corner. I don't give a shit and I don't want to walk an extra two hundred feet. Are you in league with Michelle Obama, trying to get me to be more active? ARE YOU CALLIN' ME FAT??
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:25 pm

ArturoBandini wrote: For starters, what quantifiable metric are you using to evaluate the efficiency of the 2-hour policy? Your own impression of how easy it is to find 2 hour parking?

Yes, a perfectly reasonable and significant measure.
In fact, the experience of people is the bottom line, not your urban planning text book.

ArturoBandini wrote: says the guy trying to impose parking time limits more expansively.

No I'm not. I'm for converting "No Parking" to "2-hour parking"

ArturoBandini wrote: Again, you are the one supporting limits, but I'll humor the internal inconsistencies in your argument for now. Are you saying that the construction of parking spaces should be left to land developers?

I have never advocated for limits.
I think developers should be required to pitch-in with some parking spaces.
My main suggestion is to allow more on-street parking opportunities.

I haven't seen a decent argument yet against my very modest proposals. Only implausible warnings of doom.
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 pm

peripat wrote:Market based anything in a society where all the resources have flowed uphill to a very few is an obscenity.
I'm not convinced. Have you ever bought or sold a house? How did you figure out what price to ask or pay?

Have you ever purchased gasoline? What happens at gas stations that price their gas $0.50/gal higher than the stations down the street? What about $0.50/gal lower?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe