MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison, 11.22.63

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Madison, 11.22.63

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

If you were here, what do you remember?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison, 11.22.63

Postby Sandi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:If you were here, what do you remember?

A sad day in history. I remember being shocked, and glued to the TV ( B&W ) for the rest of the day. I was 22 yrs-old at the time.

Then almost immediately the conspiracy theories started.
Last edited by Sandi on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Had just returned to Marquette school after lunch break. Heard the news and was sent home, had to walk back home minutes after I'd walked to school. Don't remember much about the rest of the afternoon.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Nuns crying. Being rushed from the school building to the church with urgent orders to pray. (QofP)

Also, in the ensuing crazy weekend, that was probably the first time I had ever seen tv footage replayed like those events were. Maybe the first instance of repetition burned the images in to a 13 year old brain as much as the content did.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I wasn't in Madison but I was around an hour away.

I was in high school and we were between classes, everybody in the hall. Oscar, the principal, made an announcement over the PA. Everyone got real quiet, and then Andrew, the school loudmouth, started to laugh.

Bonnie, a large capable student you wouldn't want to mess with, walked over and punched him in the face.

Everybody was sent home, and I don't think we had school the next couple days or else it was the weekend. There was NOTHING on TV (all three channels) except assassination news over and over.

I could hardly stand it, and I quit watching and shut off the radio as well. I still feel that way about excessive media coverage of current events drama.

I also remember exactly the day MLK was assassinated but that was totally, totally different. And I remember exactly the day all the astronauts were blown up.

Curiously, I don't know what I was doing when the world trade center fell. Maybe by now all my memory space for this sort of thing is full.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm

I was in 4th grade at St. Raphael's parochial. I remember hearing an announcement over the PA system that the president had been shot...apparently he had not yet been declared dead. We were marched over to the church to pray, and then sent home.

Since I was 10, I got pretty tired of the TV coverage and wished that my cartoon shows were on instead.

An image that sticks out in my mind is TV footage of the Kennedy family, especially the youngest...was is John-John?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe