MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sewer line warranty

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Sewer line warranty

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:31 am

They were talking about this on the news last night, and they estimated potential repair costs of "tens of thousands of dollars". Sounded like BS.

I have to get the sewer pipe at my house cleared of tree roots every other year as it is. It was about $150 last time, so I'm already paying $70/year. Roto-Rooter is my insurance.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:58 am

This whole thing kind of reminds me of the service line replacement imbroglio a few years ago. Well, more than ten years ago. When the city first told some of us on the East Side that we had to replace our lead service lines, whether there was any leaching or not, estimates ran upwards of $10,000, with the city offering a very modest subsidy. When I finally broke down and did the deed about three years ago, it cost a couple hundred.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I'd MUCH rather have a city department head I could email (and copy my alder) than have to convince a private contractor to come back out and fix a job they fucked up after they have flown onward.

The perspective is based on actual experiences (and final results) following up on job details and corrections in cases involving both city-run and privately-provided services.

I virtually had to drive to the home of the guy who repaired my roof twice (down in Cambridge) and make a fuss to get him to finish a roofing job. And don't even get me started on what passes for professional plumbing services around this town.

This whole entrepreneurial-private-good-/-gummint-bad thing seems like a myth to me.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 am

From madison.com:

Ald. David Ahrens says he has gotten a few calls “all angry and confused.”

“The city should have done a better job explaining the background and what is the likelihood of need,” he says.

Ahrens says he doesn’t think the numbers add up. He says if the city is only doing a dozen repairs each year at $4,400, the insurer stands to profit handsomely if it can sell a lot of policies.

“If they insure 25,000 homes at $70 each, that’s $1.75 million. And then repair 12 laterals at $5K each for a total of $60K in expenses?” he asks.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe