MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Are you a young professional?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Are you a young professional?

Postby Cameron Connors » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was talking about just going out and getting slammed because you haven't got anything better to do, can't stand your own company, hope you'll find somebody to go home with (but you know you won't, or if you do you'll regret it) and all the other stuff people do in their 20s but, with any luck, grow out of. Way different.

Not attacking, just clarifying:
Going out alone at all after 32 is not good.
Going out to get slammed with friends is also not good after 32. Going out with friends for moderate drinking after 32 is the sweet spot.

Is that the rub?

Huckleby wrote:
I guess I'm making fun of Madison, which has lots of bars filled with nobody over 38.

ilikebeans wrote:That describes every city in the western world with a population over ~20k.

Huckleby wrote:
No. Milwaukee and Chicago, for instance, have many more age-diverse bars. Madison downtown nightlife is dominated by youngins, and not just talking college age.

In Milwaukee's downtown the Water St. area seems to skew pretty young, stays true if you go North (near UWM), further East and South seems to get more diverse in ages.

Chicago seems extremely young-professional oriented in the Lincoln-Wrigleyville-Boystown areas (but i suppose that's not Downtown), and more diverse in the actual downtown Michigan Ave., etc. area.

Madison's numbers seem so skewed by just how big the percentage of our population the students/young professionals makes up, and its relative concentration in the area around the capitol.

Of course all three cities have plenty age-diverse bars outside of the downtown, so, hey, drink up...unless you're over 32, then watch it... you useless sack of crap

just kidding, sno
Cameron Connors

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:Do you see what I mean?

Gotcha. It seemed like a blanket statement to me and I get your point now.

kurt_w wrote:But as you can see from the ad that started this thread, having some drinks at a bar with people wearing nametags makes you a winner.

I may just start wearing a nametag everywhere I go.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Jerry Jeff Walker knew what I mean:

"He's thirty-four and drinkin' in a honky-tonk..."

When I have to cite Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother to make a point, I know it's time to stop.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:What hasn't changed in many years is if you're more than, maybe, 32 and still think going out drinking is a form of entertainment in itself, you're a loser.

Some of the saddest bars in Wisconsin are located in that sleepy little non-whistlestop directly to Madison's south originally named "Rome Corners". O-town nightlife regularly features a bevy of the most unhealthy-looking barflies in the world. Days spunt working hard followed by firmly planting themselves onto barstools for the duration, whittling away the nighttime hours until they can weave home, pass out, and begin the whole squanderous process all over again.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 pm

That's the official State Lifestyle.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 pm

"She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol..."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:39 pm

My goodness, Jerry Jeff Waffle and John Prine quoted only a few posts apart...how did I miss this thread?

What about being over 32, and going out alone because I'd rather sit in a brewpub and grade papers than sit at home alone to grade papers?

I've actually had some great chats with people while doing that. And I don't think having two beers in two hours qualifies as the Official Wisconsin Lifestyle.

I sure as hell am not in Wisconsin anymore, though. I went downtown on Monday night to grade some papers, and the local brewpub WAS CLOSED. Go ahead, pick yourself up off the floor. A bar was closed and it wasn't a holiday.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Squanderous is a good word.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:12 am

I suppose I must have considered myself a young professional when I chose my user name. :wink:
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe