MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Epic OT lawsuit

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Epic OT lawsuit

Postby Beaver » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 am

Sounds like a good law suit. Epic should be sued for age discrimination, also.

Suit alleges Epic Systems owes overtime
http://www.channel3000.com/money/suit-a ... index.html
"The suit estimates the number of people involved could exceed 1,000 employees."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Epic OT lawsuit

Postby Ted » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Like a lot of things you read in the media, hard to form an opinion on this until you have some facts. Question is, where these employees "exempt"?
Ted

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 pm

If they were indeed salaried, then I don't think there is a case. I am salaried and work 50 sometimes 60 hours per week. I don't get overtime. That's the price one pays on being salaried.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Epic said it believes its workers were properly paid because they're classified as salaried professionals, not hourly workers. It said the lawsuit "is without merit."

The lawsuit said Nordgren and others regularly worked more than 40 hours per week without overtime pay. It said they're not exempt from overtime pay.

Looks to me like they are challenging the "exempt" staus. The assignment of "salaried professional" status to what were formerly hourly positions seems to be a tactic used increasingly, by some employers, to avoid OT pay.

Those who think that employee productivity increases are due solely to tech advances seem to ignore this.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm

I find it hard to believe anyone going in there doesn't know the reputation. They work you incredibly hard. If you accept a salary position you should still have some rights but I don't think any of this should come as a surprise to someone hired on by Epic.

The company is doing insanely well, and they ride their employees really hard. Normally I'd want to see that translate into more compensation. But Epic pays really well already, maybe save this fight for an employer who doesn't.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:38 pm

A young relative just out of college applied there and was on the verge of accepting till I pointed him to some people his age who knew the rep, because he didn't. He thought he was going to have some time for himself. After talking with the people I steered him to, he decided to go with another place. He's happy with them and has since met some current and ex Epic employees and is very thankful I got to him first.

If they aren't telling their new prospects what the life is like, and letting the workplace weed out the ones who can't take it, then they deserve what they're getting.

And from what I can see, they aren't being honest. They're putting it on the applicants to find out for themselves. When the applicant is an inexperienced kid from out of town, you'd better hope everything else is up to code when they figure it out.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Most of the positions at EPIC are in no way exempt positions. This company can claim these are salaried positions, but that doesn't mean they are exempt from overtime rules under federal law. EPIC is a modern plantation, skirting all sorts of laws. I hope they come down on this company hard. The people running EPIC might need to be perp walked, though, for anything to soak in.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Donald wrote:EPIC is a modern plantation, skirting all sorts of laws.

Except for the fact that they are highly paid, can quit whenever they want, and aren't subject to beatings, rape, or lynchings. Other than that, it is exactly like a plantation.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Igor wrote:
Donald wrote:EPIC is a modern plantation, skirting all sorts of laws.

Except for the fact that they are highly paid, can quit whenever they want, and aren't subject to beatings, rape, or lynchings. Other than that, it is exactly like a plantation.

You know, that leaves room for a whole lot of dehumanizing and profiteering things that plantations do.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:If they were indeed salaried, then I don't think there is a case. I am salaried and work 50 sometimes 60 hours per week. I don't get overtime. That's the price one pays on being salaried.

Unless the law has changed in the last few decades, "salaried' does not automatically mean "exempt". In the late 80's, I worked as a salaried non-exempt test engineer at Hughes Aircraft. I didn't make much overtime, since my program wasn't under a ton of pressure, but I had coworkers who made a pile of OT and were also salaried.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:18 pm

I admit I don't know the laws well enough. How do salaried employees become exempt?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Usually employees are exempt just because the employer declares them to be salaried and exempt. When the issue comes up, and someone actually looks at the job, that is not infrequently found not to be the case.
Some job catagories are exempt just by definition. An employee who earns over $100,000/yr is probably flsa exempt.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Igor wrote:Except for the fact that they are highly paid, can quit whenever they want, and aren't subject to beatings, rape, or lynchings. Other than that, it is exactly like a plantation.

Maybe that's what Donald meant by a "modern" plantation. Some Epic employees have been subject to rape:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=57935&p=732845&hilit=Epic+rape#p732845
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:37 pm

"An" epic employee. That's a dumb thing to bring up. What does that actually have to do with the company? Is every sexual offender a product of their workplace?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:37 am

"Hey Burt, at least we don't work at Epic, aye?"

"Burt?"

"Please don't send me back to Epic."
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe