MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bush then says, "Hey Turd Blossom! Get in here."

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should Doonesbury had his strip printed in the paper?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:03 pm

No, the language is too rough.
No votes
Yes, Bush who loves nicknames even calls him Rove a turd.
100%

Total votes : 15

Postby herblock » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:03 pm

This is really happening! Our leaders can lie about a war and it is put on Page One and repeated endlessly but this is SOOOOOOOO bad it can't even be printed. Good God! And Doonesbury is a most creative man!

It may be President Bush's nickname for key political adviser Karl Rove, but some editors don't think it belongs in their newspapers.

About a dozen papers objected to Tuesday's and Wednesday's "Doonesbury" comic strips, and some either pulled or edited them.

The strips refer to Rove, the White House deputy chief of staff, as "Turd Blossom."

Lee Salem, editor at Kansas City-based Universal Press Syndicate, which distributes the strip to 1,400 papers, said the complaints from 10 to 12 newspapers weren't unexpected. As opposed to other times when editors have objected to Doonesbury content, the syndicate did not send out replacement strips.

"Given the coverage of Karl Rove, we thought it was appropriate, especially given the history of the strip," Salem said.

Doonesbury's creator, Garry Trudeau, has infuriated some editors over the years with his language, images and political themes. An e-mail to Trudeau wasn't immediately returned Tuesday.

In the strip, Bush and an aide are lamenting the problems the administration has had over allegations that Rove leaked the name of a CIA officer to reporters.

Bush says, "Karl's sure been earnin' his nickname lately."

The unnamed aide says, "Boy Genius? I'm not so sure sir ..."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 226851.htm
herblock
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:27 pm

This was covered way better on the Daily Show, but here's some dirty stuff from the Bush's mouth (Laura Bush, that is).

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-05-01-laura-bush-comments_x.htm

I saw my in-laws down at the ranch over Easter. We like it down there. George didn't know much about ranches when we bought the place. Andover and Yale don't have a real strong ranching program. But I'm proud of George. He's learned a lot about ranching since that first year when he tried to milk the horse. What's worse, it was a male horse.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby saltman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:32 pm

So that would make George a horse molester? Check the Texas legal code for beastiality!!!
:D
saltman
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 pm

saltman wrote:So that would make George a horse molester? Check the Texas legal code for beastiality!!!
:D

Santorum never said anything about "man-on-horse."

Back on topic:

I think it's pretty silly. As vulgarities go, "turd" is really kid stuff.

But you should also realize that Garry Trudeau does something like this every few years. It gets him in the headlines. NTTAWWT, of course.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 pm

Ya know, I read that column today and didn't even blink. Not until I read this topic did I stop and say to myself, "Hmm. He said turd."

Trudeau has a record for mysteriously accurate detail, and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole White House is looking at each other tomorrow wondering who leaked that little secret.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:53 am

Beer Moon wrote:This was covered way better on the Daily Show, but here's some dirty stuff from the Bush's mouth (Laura Bush, that is).

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-05-01-laura-bush-comments_x.htm

I saw my in-laws down at the ranch over Easter. We like it down there. George didn't know much about ranches when we bought the place. Andover and Yale don't have a real strong ranching program. But I'm proud of George. He's learned a lot about ranching since that first year when he tried to milk the horse. What's worse, it was a male horse.

Jim Hightower writes the funny thing about Bush's "ranch" is that it is in farm country. He bought it 1999, when Rove suggested it at the start of his presidential campaign.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tarek » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 am

who or what is a "Turd Blossom"
Tarek
Forum Addict

Postby boone » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:22 am

Tarek wrote:who or what is a "Turd Blossom"

1. turd blossom link send redefine 8 up, 1 down

1. (noun) In west Texas, a desert wild flower that grows up out of a meadow muffin.
2. (proper noun) One of G.W. Bush's nicknames for Karl Rove.
3. (slang) any positive consequence (beauty) that comes from something unwholesome(shit)1. "Ma, that there's the purtiest turd blossom I've seen in miles."
2. "We'll get Turd Blossom to out Wilson's wife (Valerie Plame) to Novak."
3. "Wow, buddy, that presentation you gave to the board was quite a turd blossom."
Source: Marc, Apr 1, 2004
2. turd blossom link send redefine 1 thumb up

1. What George Bush call's "Karl Rove"
2. Suppossedly one who grew up in Texas.George Bush is a turd blossom himself.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... lossom&r=f
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tarek » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:30 am

i still dont get the joke...
Tarek
Forum Addict

Postby Billy Shears » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:29 am

Tarek wrote:i still dont get the joke...

It's possible the culture difference is just too great to get the joke, but I'll give it a shot.

A turd blossom is a flower that grows from cow dung. The concept is, out of worthless crap grows something pretty. Rove got involved in several scandals and not only got out of it, his reputation was somehow enhanced. His friends began calling him turd blossom because he'd get himself in deep shit and come out smelling like a rose.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tarek » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 pm

ah thanks..no i get the joke...but not why it is too offensive for the newspaper...guess that one of those american things...
Tarek
Forum Addict

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:47 pm

Tarek wrote:who or what is a "Turd Blossom"

My grandma on my dad's side used to refer to me and her other grandchildren as "fart blossums" in a strange affectionate way. And people wonder why I am neurotic.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Tarek wrote:ah thanks..no i get the joke...but not why it is too offensive for the newspaper...guess that one of those american things...

Yes. I think "excrement" or "human waste" is appropriate but "turd" is a bad word. Except it's okay when it's in a news story sometimes, cause it's BEEN in news stories in all those papers, but not when it's in a comic strip, I think.

Ah, hell. I don't know either.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:21 pm

You aren't supposed to write "turd" in a daily newspaper but third graders say it at every opportunity and think it's hilarious.

That's America for ya.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:26 pm

Wonder if Harry Truman ever used that one....
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines