MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

8-year-olds on the hunt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The State Assembly has passed a law that would allow children as young as 8 to hunt, under close adult supervision. Good idea?

Why not? Let the little bastards help put food on the table.
30%
Are you kidding me? You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!
44%
What do I care? I don't even like kids, so let 'em play with firearms.
26%

Total votes : 27

8-year-olds on the hunt

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:29 pm

The bill is now headed to the State Senate. More info here.

Channel3000 wrote:Children ages 8 to 11 would be able to hunt as long as a parent or guardian is along. That person would have to stay within arm's length of the child, and between the adult and child, only one firearm could be handled. The young hunters still would not have to take a hunter's safety course until they turn 12.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:40 pm

These people and their fucking guns lately. Can't advocates of measures like this and concealed carry just get the damn penile implants and be done with it?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, the 8 year old body is flexible enough to take a kickback from a gun, so the injury factor for the kid goes down a bit. Why not?

When they finally take their hunter safety course they can then learn that they shouldn't bring guns to school and shoot other kids, hopefully they exercise restraint until age 12!

If they're old enough to hunt aren't they old enough to go to Iraq? Yet another viable solution to troop woes, and who'd suspect a lil' 8 year old of being an imperialist pig dog? Perfect!

Just make sure they don't drink. That's for adults.

So many positives in this idea that my head is spinning.
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Begbie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:50 pm

minicat wrote:These people and their fucking guns lately. Can't advocates of measures like this and concealed carry just get the damn penile implants and be done with it?

Either that or a Hemi.
Begbie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:50 pm

minicat wrote:These people and their fucking guns lately. Can't advocates of measures like this and concealed carry just get the damn penile implants and be done with it?

Lately? It's kinda, sorta a tradition around these parts. People have been hunting forever with their kids, neighbors families etc.

Libs whining about it is the new part.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:57 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Lately? It's kinda, sorta a tradition around these parts. People have been hunting forever with their kids, neighbors families etc.

Eight seems a little young. Especially with no requirement for hunter safety classes. Let's be realistic here.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:11 pm

minicat wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Eight seems a little young. Especially with no requirement for hunter safety classes. Let's be realistic here.

Shit let's let'em drive cars and get full time jobs while we are at.

Hell yeah 8 seems young. I grew up where the nine days of deer hunting up North was the biggest event of the year tied only with the county fair. The kids under 12 participated in deer drives tramping through swamps, fields and woods to scare the deer to the people in stands waiting to blast'em. When you turned 12 you finally got to fully particpate in the hunt and it was a cool coming of age thing to look forward to. Seemed to work fine and no one back then was advocating for under 12 to be able to carry a weapon during the hunt.

Don't get me wrong you still had a BB/pellet gun shortly after kindergarten, but larger caliber wasn't granted until junior high. Seems reasonable to me. This is just more gun nut grandstanding rather than addressing needs of constiuents.
Last edited by charliedon'tsurf on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Does an eight year old even know what feral means??
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:Seems reasonable to me. This is just more gun nut grandstanding rather than addressing needs of constiuents.

Yeah, that and one more tag for the party. C'mon, people, an eight year old is in second grade. We're talking about a 50 or 60 pound kid. Even a 20 gauge would send the kid flying backwards.

Bah. Cletus votes, and as Ned has so adeptly pointed out, those "libs" are always trying to get in his way.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 pm

If I had to take hunter's safety at age 23 in order to hunt, then an 8 year old should have to take it too. I cant imagine this would pass without that change being made.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:41 pm

pjbogart wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:Seems reasonable to me. This is just more gun nut grandstanding rather than addressing needs of constiuents.

Yeah, that and one more tag for the party.

Bingo.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:46 pm

This isn't that big of a deal. Kids that age are in the field anyways. But even if they are sharing a gun with an adult they should take a safety class.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:51 pm

pjbogart wrote:

Yeah, that and one more tag for the party.

If you live in a T zone you can already shoot ridiculous amounts of deer. The extra tag is very secondary to the wedge issue and support from the gun/hunting advocates at the extreme end of the spectrum.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby golfergirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:49 pm

My son is 8 and I wouldn't consider letting him hunt until he is 12 and takes a hunter safety course. Actually, I think 12 is too young to allow someone to handle a gun - you can't drive a car until you are 16, but you can shoot a gun at the age of 12?
golfergirl
Forum Addict

Postby lonesomejohnny » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Guns are a lot safer than cars.

8 year olds, dude.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines