MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

8-year-olds on the hunt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The State Assembly has passed a law that would allow children as young as 8 to hunt, under close adult supervision. Good idea?

Why not? Let the little bastards help put food on the table.
30%
Are you kidding me? You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!
44%
What do I care? I don't even like kids, so let 'em play with firearms.
26%

Total votes : 27

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:29 pm

I think we should allow 8-year-olds to hunt only those animals capable of devouring them whole. And they should have to shotgun a beer before every round fired ... the kids I mean.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:04 pm

You kid, but that leads to a good point, Chuck. We really ought to be hunting whales.

Norway and Japan, two very advanced societies, still hunt whales. They're delicious and their blubber makes all kinds of useful products. The U.S. is so spineless on this issue.

"Ohh-NOOO!! We can't hunt whales, they make these crazy songs: "bwoo-bwoo000oo-cwee-qqq-wee00o0o0."

Get serious!! It's time to start harvesting these ocean-cruising cows again. If not now, when? If Bush doesn't lift this absurd restriction before he leaves office, he's a little pinko creep.
The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:04 pm

I think we should allow 8-year olds to hunt neo-cons. It would seem a fittingly ironic demise.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:46 pm

pjbogart wrote:Leave it to hippie-bass-playin'-greenie-libs to try to take away guns from law abiding kindergarteners.

If I weren't so stoned I'd take umbrage.
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 pm

SIZZAW wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Leave it to hippie-bass-playin'-greenie-libs to try to take away guns from law abiding kindergarteners.

If I weren't so stoned I'd take umbrage.

I didn't realize we had become our own demographic category. Social geography has become astonishingly precise!

Will we be a selection on the next census, I wonder?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:44 pm

statz wrote:Its one thing to shoot bird shot out of a 12 gauge but a whole other thing to shoot slugs, and several in a row. A lot of these kids are flinching and sore after a few shots.

Yeah, no kidding, I put 10 slugs through my shotgun during sight in, and I was flinching after the first few. I was in downright pain after ten, and my shoulder hurt for a week! (Of course when the time came to shoot a deer I didnt flinch, I just missed.)

I think that this law is aimed at getting kids hunting deer, though, and I dont think an 8 year old can handle a weapon capable of killing a deer. As I said before, I dont think any kid should be hunting without taking hunter's safety first, and any parent within arms reach of an armed 8-year old should hope that the kid has learned the rules of gun safety and hunting safety.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Old School Johnny wrote:
lonesomejohnny wrote:...and between the ages of 8 and 12, kids can get into a lot of other things that will keep them from hunting.

Like strip clubs.

But only with a parent's supervision, of course.

Of course, because who is going to stay in deer camp and babysit the little hunter while the big hunters are at the strip joint? Bonus for Mom as she gets the rug rats out of the house for some serious deer hunting widow fun.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:23 pm

Probably should let them drive too...at least cars tend to have insurance in case of misuse
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:43 am

Show of hands from the parents 'round here: How many of you have ever been able to ask your eight-year-old to stay within an arm's length of you at all times with any degree of success?

Um ... yeah ... thought so. Overwhelming dataset there.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:09 am

I know this thread is about 8-year-olds hunting, but how about 8-year-olds bringing handguns to daycare? And this was a kid who was "familiar with guns." Was he familiar with what they actually do?

8-Year-Old and Father Face Charges in Shooting
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines