MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Uh, what's happening CC?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Does Mayor Ray Nagin REALLY need to apologize for his "chocolate city" comments?

They still call it the White House, but that's a temporary condition, too. Can you dig it, CC?
11%
To each his reach and if I don't cop, it ain't mine to have. But I'll be reachin' for ya 'cause I love ya, CC. Right on.
No votes
They say your jivin' game, it can't be changed, but on the positive side, you're my piece of the rock and I love you, CC. Can you dig it?
22%
You don't need the bullet when you got the ballot. Are you up for the downstroke, CC?
33%
A chocolate city is no dream. It's my piece of the rock and I dig you, CC.
33%

Total votes : 9

mmm

Postby mrs. mcdonell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm

ooh sepatown! sine yo piddy on the runny kine. no, not the tipi-tyes!
mrs. mcdonell
Forum Addict

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:54 pm

What Nagin said was stupid. However, this guy is on the front lines. There are very powerful forces trying ethnicly cleanse New Orleans. Remember when the Halliburton subsidiary was caught firing skilled American workers, generally blacks and working class whites, and busing in illegal aliens to work for less money?

There are folks who want to turn the city into a rich white playground with illegal alien servants. Nagin is fighting that, and he deserves our support.

Paleo Liberal
PaleoLiberal
Forum Addict

Uh, What's happening CC?

Postby briwrites » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Let's get one thing straight: it should be Chocolate Town, not Chocolate City.

And maybe i'm crazy (But for sure I'm pretty white), but who wants to be referred to as a food? Apricot City, Caramel City, Banana Village, that's a bunch of shit.

If I was a black person living (or up until just recently) in New Orleans, don't talk about my Chocolate City. Talk about my fucking job, my fucking home, and my fucking future.

Chocolate my ass crack! It really is a pity that this statement gets so much media juice, because I far prefer "So get your ass down here and do something about the biggest fucking mess in the history of the U.S." [verbatim] which Nagin said way back in the superdome days.

And I wouldn't feel so grand about Nagin even sitting at the same table as W. If Nagin wanted to take a stand for the black people of New Orleans, he would slap W across the ass on live TV and then call him Sally.
briwrites
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm

He's right.
And we need to work harder at making Madison what it's supposed to be:
a godless homosexual vanilla city?
WTF?
Farrakan and Nig- er, .... Nagen can get away with racist blather while us still living white European mutts can't talk about Wonder Breading our streets?
Us left-leaning bleeding-heart liberal wannabes are so filled with fear and guilt about our pervasive bullshit we are completely willing to be buttfucked by almost ANYONE against our will so we don't sound RACIST.
It's sickening.
Judging each other by melatonin levels is like judging books by how many pages they have or sitcoms by how loud the laugh track is.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:59 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Stomach wrote:I found his comments about God hating America far more ridiculous than the Chocolate blather.

Amen. I guess it just goes to show that Democrats also like to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

<taps pj on the shoulder>

Hey, take a look at this...

Before his election, Nagin had never had public office; he was a vice president and general manager at Cox Communications, a cable communications company and subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. A registered Republican for most of his life, Nagin became a Democrat just before running for mayor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_nagin

Sounds like an opportunistic republican to me.

Fucker should have used the busses.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Nobody loves Wikipedia more than I do, rabbit, but be careful about relying on it for information like this. While Nagin has made some campaign contributions to Republicans, he claims he's never been GOP himself.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:53 pm

mrak wrote:Nobody loves Wikipedia more than I do, rabbit, but be careful about relying on it for information like this. While Nagin has made some campaign contributions to Republicans, he claims he's never been GOP himself.

Do you have that quote/link handy, because hard as I try, I can't pull anything up on google about Nagin denying being a republican.

Is the BBC a little more credible?

In 2001, dismayed at his son's plans to leave New Orleans because there were no jobs, Mr Nagin decided to stand for mayor of the city they call The Big Easy. It was his first and, to date, only political campaign.

Ray Nagin the Republican repositioned himself as Ray Nagin the Democrat, but still preached a can-do creed, challenging African-Americans to make the free-market dream work for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4623922.stm

Now, back to those busses.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:58 pm

The Wiki article itself mentions Nagin's denial near the bottom of the page, and this story in the Washington Post originally stated he switched parties, but then they ran a correction*, which is featured at the top of this page:

A Shrinking New Orleans, October 26, 2005

And yes, I certainly do consider the BBC credible, at least as credible as the Post (and probably more so). Thanks for the link.

So I guess I can't quite declare the matter of Nagin's party history settled. <snark>If he did switch parties, it's too bad for him. Had he stayed Republican, his job performance in New Orleans could have landed him a FEMA directorship.</snark>

*The Post would have taken Nagin's word for it and run the correction on his denial alone.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines