MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

This home protected by Smith and Wesson

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

How do you protect your home?

Firearms
26%
Baseball Bat
32%
I hope the police will show up
26%
"These fists are a lethal weapon"
16%

Total votes : 19

Postby Nick Berigan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm

I think people that BRAG they have a loaded weapon in their bedrooms are trying to do something besides scare away predators.

I mean, do you think the intruders are reading the forum in order to see who is ready to shoot them.

Tell the truth. It give you some kind of buzz to describe the weapon by it's manufacture and caliber, doesn't it?

Smith & Wesson, Heckler & Koch, AR, AK... Got the blood flowing yet?

On the other hand, there's nothing like a connected neighborhood to keep the flies (both legal and illegal) at bay. I'll take a decent neighborhood, a functional phone tree, and properly funded cops and grade school teachers any day over having to spatter some deranged individual across the walls of my kitchen.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:13 pm

What do well-paid teachers have to do with criminals that break into my house at 3 a.m.?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mudduck » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:21 pm

What the hell is a "functional phone tree?"
mudduck
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:I think people that BRAG they have a loaded weapon in their bedrooms are trying to do something besides scare away predators.

Probably... but it's counterproductive when your gun's a beretta.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:I think people that BRAG they have a loaded weapon in their bedrooms are trying to do something besides scare away predators.

Your post reminds me of something really, really funny that I read once:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28988

"'This'll blow a man straight to Heaven,' he said."
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

update

Postby papalion » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:41 pm

white_rabbit posted a link to the update in a related thread.

I suspected more to the story that just simple home invasion or burglary.

Burglars are generally not confrontational people. 3:00am on a Thur/Fri eve is a time when you might expect homeowners to be at home.

3 dead and drugs sounds like a mess to get a handle on for the authorities.

I'll bet my neighbors now think I am running a drug house........ Mountain Lions coming and going at all times of the day and night. They used to think we were nuts when the kids were in school and we were chasing after them with all their school activities. Some of those same neighbors now have kids of their own in school and they are beginning to understand.

Well funded police force!
I misspoke it was Lafayette County not Green. If they have 3 cruisers covering the entire county on a given night, there must be a weedstock or high school beer party going on somewhere.

Peace
Papa Lion
papalion
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 pm

mudduck wrote:Guns have to be locked up? You better tell that to the loaded M9 in my bedroom.

I guess you missed this part.
Henry Vilas wrote:Guns are much more likely to kill a friend or family member (or oneself) than an intruder. Don't like those odds.

Happy hunting.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Note to:

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:58 pm

papalion wrote:Or your insurance company doesn't know about it yet, Insurance companies don't like the liabilty involved with critters like that.

I don't know about that. The first time I bought renter's insurance, one of the agents selling points was something like, "if you're walking your dog in the park and it bites someone, you're covered with 100K of liability".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Guns are much more likely to kill a friend or family member (or oneself) than an intruder. Don't like those odds.

Happy hunting.

God's way of thinning the gun happy, NRA herd.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Note to:

Postby boone » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:28 am

white_rabbit wrote:
papalion wrote:Or your insurance company doesn't know about it yet, Insurance companies don't like the liabilty involved with critters like that.

I don't know about that. The first time I bought renter's insurance, one of the agents selling points was something like, "if you're walking your dog in the park and it bites someone, you're covered with 100K of liability".

Last year an independent agent trying to sell me home owners insurance took one look at my dog and said, "Is that an Akita?" The affirmative answer was enough to knock me out of selecting from one of his companies. Akitas are a banned breed, along with many others. Most likely due to owners of those breeds not knowing how to handle dogs properly and ending up with dogs that bite.

I've got to go hide now from the bad guys that may or may not be coming after me right now or some time in the future.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:27 am

It's turning out that maybe this isn't the best story for gun nuts to point out.

Of course, consider the thread starter.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jay Allen » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:32 am

jjoyce wrote:Note to self: Don't live in Argyle
There are 187 other reasons to avoid Argyle...
Jay Allen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's turning out that maybe this isn't the best story for gun nuts to point out.

Of course, consider the thread starter.

Chirp, chirp...
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:34 am

No need to wait for the cops to show, when you can buy a duty ready and stickered surplus squad car and park that in your drive as deterence. A trip to the uniform shop, maybe some E-bay shopping and you are the man.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Anyone has a right to do anything they see fit if someone breaks into their home.

If some of you think you are smart enough to talk it out with a burgler at 3 a.m., all I can say is good luck with that one.

Anyone who feels the need to visit Neddy through a window at 2 a.m. will leave with an "empty" feeling guaranteed.

Now, at this point it's worth consulting Studs Terkel on that issue.

Some years back, Terkel, at ~84 largely deaf, and a lifelong White Sox fan, was watching a game with the broadcast running til 1 or 2 a.m. TV's turned up loud, and a burglar comes in through the window, walks up behind Studs -- who hadn't heard him -- and demands money.

Terkel says 'How much do you need?" -- and, believing in the equitable distribution of wealth -- reaches into his wallet, pulls out $40, and hands it to the burglar.

"Weren't you afraid?" he was asked. "Why no!" (paraphrasing now) 'You have to understand the psychology of the burglar, vs that of the robber. The mugger/robber is engaged in confrontation; whereas the burglar is by nature nonconfrontational, and goes out of his way to avoid run-ins with the occupant. Sneaking in to evade detection vs. direct attack w/weapons or fists.'

The kicker? Studs realized he needed $20 to get across town the next morning, a Sunday. Now the burglar had $40, and he had $0. So he asks the burglar "Can I have $20?" The burglar handed him the $20, goes on his way, and Studs finishes watching the White Sox.

'Wasn't he scared to ask for the money back?,' he was asked. "Not at all. Both me and the burglar believe in the same thing: the equitable distribution of wealth. So I knew the burglar would be able to see it from my point of view, now that our roles were reversed."

True story.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines