MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth is must see

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Have you seen An Inconvenient Truth?

Yes!
25%
No, but I plan to
55%
No, and I don't plan to
20%

Total votes : 20

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:16 pm

SombreroFallout wrote: Been boning up on the global warming literature, have ya?

Who's got the time what with all the novels you've been writing lately?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:The effect of this movie is polarizing. That might not be the intent, but if anyone actually thought this wouldn't play as yet another liberal lecture, they're severely deluded.

I wish this movie were polarizing. What with all the drunken trees in Alaska, we could do with a little less de-polarizing. Bear with me!

The media and punditry has been pretty much ignoring the gravity and reality of the science for quite awhile now. Seems to me public recognition is coalescing around this. Even political pundits in DC are squirming and sayin, "Uh, yeah, ..." gagging like a cat trying to get the basic facts to pass their lips. Without the movie . . .

Continue to point out the harmful effects of Republican governance and explain in a clear way what you'll do differently. But knock off the hysteria.
-- SLAP!

In that sense, the movie's kinda like a bitch-slap.

A broader swath of people are talking about it. They can get together and build something, because they know no one else will. Or, they can watch cable and play video games. I think the Simpsons are on FOX right about now? Is it 5:30 yet?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
SombreroFallout wrote: Been boning up on the global warming literature, have ya?

Who's got the time what with all the novels you've been writing lately?

They're hardly novel, but if you wanna spend your time readin em, that's up to you.

But in the oodles of time you've got left over, how goes all the noble work you're doing, bringing two warring factions together through honeyed phrases and other subtleties of diplomacy?
Last edited by SombreroFallout on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:31 pm

SombreroFallout wrote: ... how goes all the noble work you're doing, bringing two warring factions together through honeyed phrases and other subleties of diplomacy?
About as well as your quest to get me to stop utilizing ad hominem attacks through use of the same, I'd wager.

Oh - and diplomacy is not for rent, let alone for sublet.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
SombreroFallout wrote:But in the oodles of time you've got left over, how goes all the noble work you're doing, bringing two warring factions together through honeyed phrases and other subleties of diplomacy?
About as well as your quest to get me to stop utilizing ad hominem attacks through use of the same, I'd wager.

Was that your method? Was it mine? Or was there a marked pattern inconsistent with any equation of the two? If there'd been a basis for the abuse I wouldn't have posted at all.

I'm not saying I'm pure, but what I asserted described your actions and behavior, not personal attributes. Equating our differing MOs has no basis in fact -- and that was dishonest on your part. Par for the course. I've no problem picking up your tools-of-trade in order to call out a poltroon.

At least debate in good faith.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:02 am

MakeBushKing wrote:Mr. Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT."

Here's the link for the entire article:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597

Read 'em and weep, EnviroNuts!

That's a reprint of Lindzen's Wall Street Journal article. Professor Lindzen has been a Global Warming skeptic since forever. He's not exactly an open-minded guy.
WSJ Hit Piece on Gore Movie Relies on Grievously Flawed Study
And while we're at it, I don't think anybody's posted this one from US News:
[url=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/060410/10warming.htm]Turning up the Heat
A surprising consensus is transforming the complex politics of global warming[/url]
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MakeBushKing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:04 am

"That's a reprint of Lindzen's Wall Street Journal article. Professor Lindzen has been a Global Warming skeptic since forever. He's not exactly an open-minded guy."

Nah, he's just a highly regarded professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT. These folks at 'Think Progress????',,,, now they are open minded!

What a joke....
MakeBushKing
Forum Addict

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:23 am

MakeBushKing wrote:What a joke....

Here's another joke:
[quote]Here is Lindzen�s only substantive response:

More recently, a study in the journal Science by the social scientist Nancy [sic ââ?‰?Â
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MakeBushKing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:32 am

Here, I'll do my best to make it easy for you:

"Mr. Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT" which equals = CREDIBILITY

"social scientist Nancy [sic ââ?‰?Â
MakeBushKing
Forum Addict

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:12 am

Yeah, he's really credible. Everybody says so. Even a 2001 Newsweek article:
Lindzen clearly relishes the role of naysayer. He�ll even expound on how weakly lung cancer is linked to cigarette smoking. He speaks in full, impeccably logical paragraphs, and he punctuates his measured cadences with thoughtful drags on a cigarette.

Newsweek, 23 July 2001

Oh, boy. What an amazingly credible guy. And for the "There ain't no global warming" crowd, he's the best they've got!
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MakeBushKing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:00 pm

"Oh, boy. What an amazingly credible guy"

I'ld complain to MIT if I were you... Tell them their award winning professor of Atmosperic Science has no credibility.... Maybe they'll fire him just to keep you happy.

(It's not hard to tell when someone is losing an argument, huh?)

Long Live George!
MakeBushKing
Forum Addict

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:52 pm

MakeBushKing wrote:(It's not hard to tell when someone is losing an argument, huh?)

Long Live George!

:lol:
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Lindzen clearly relishes the role of naysayer. He�ll even expound on how weakly lung cancer is linked to cigarette smoking. He speaks in full, impeccably logical paragraphs, and he punctuates his measured cadences with thoughtful drags on a cigarette.

Sounds like something from the Simpsons.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:

Sounds like something from the Simpsons.

What an artful blending of junk science. The denial of climate change and second-hand smoke toxicity, in a single breath.

Encore! Bring on a scientist to explain that abstinence and DARE training work, while citing intelligent Design.

Dare we hope for a juggling economist?
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines