MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Voter Lotto - what a beautiful bait and switch!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Do you trust American news media?

1. Even more than Fidel Castro
No votes
2. About the same as an ayatollah
25%
3. Less than a Jeb Bush vote count
75%

Total votes : 4

Voter Lotto - what a beautiful bait and switch!

Postby Mike S. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:30 pm

I ran across a news item about Arizona's voter lottery ballot initiative, and I think this one deserves some kind of award.

The news stories say it's about giving voters a $1 million jackpot to encourage them to come to the polls. Now sure, this has some drawbacks, like encouraging people to vote who don't care, violating laws against paying voters, and costing $1 million per year.

But the joke is this: if you go back and read the tail end of that bill above, it's not just about a million dollars. It's about forcing a particular expenditure of 31 million dollars from other gambling games. I'd think that would be thirty times more important, but the newspapers aren't starry-eyed issue advocates, they report the news in an unbiased way, and so they left that part out. (see the Associated Press feed, for example) Will the voters eat a turd bar if it's in a pretty wrapper? That's always a safe bet.

What gets genuinely sinister is that they mandate that everyone who votes gets a unique number assigned ... to tell if he wins, of course. The special commission they set up gets the power to enact whatever record-keeping requirements they want with the number. So will they end up demanding that the number is the same one written on the 'secret' ballot? What do you think - this is America, where the all-white districts have more votes than registered voters and the Indian districts report that nobody who came to vote actually had an opinion about who should be president! In Venezuela if you use the computer polling booth to vote against Cesar Chavez you get a paper receipt to show who you voted for... in Arizona they get a receipt to show who cast the vote.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:16 pm

I think you read it wrong. The part you are talking about specifies that the remainder of the revenue brought in by the already existing lottery will go towards other things as I'm sure it already does.

Basically, they have state sponsored gambling already and the money goes towards some stuff.

This new initiative says that up to 10 million a year of that money should be reallocated to this voter lottery thing and the rest gets allocated as specified. How is the part where the rest of the money is allocated more newsworthy than the only real novel part of the initiative which is the voter lottery part?
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Voter Lotto - what a beautiful bait and switch!

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 am

Mike S. wrote:I ran across a news item about Arizona's voter lottery ballot initiative, and I think this one deserves some kind of award.

You refer to a news item, but link to a blog run by a guy sponsoring the initiative. Not sure I'd look there for balanced coverage of the issue.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines