MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Should a Confederate Flag be burned at the Nazi rally?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should we burn a Confederate flag?

Hell yeah, light that Southern Swastika up!
43%
Yes, and hire a drunk rugby team to piss it out
24%
No, I'm a moderate, just iron it on too high a setting.
5%
No, it might provoke the ten nazis present to kick all 900 of our asses.
10%
No, sell it to the Loitering Law advocates and spend the money on beer.
5%
No, the Fourth Reich won. Better suck up to them.
14%

Total votes : 21

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:45 pm

BobArctor wrote:There's the historical accuracy police, right on schedule.

Your attempts to make me feel ashamed for expecting people to get their facts straight aren't gonna work, BA. Just because you live in a world where reality and whatever-bullshit-connection-you-made-up-over-breakfast-today co-exist on equal footing doesn't mean the rest of us have ceased being interested in actual history. Considering I've ignored your blatant disregard for accuracy on this and other recent threads (as I've learned there's no point in arguing with you) I find your above crack particularly idiotic, whether it was followed by a grudgingly offered concession or not. If I were truly the historical accuracy police, correcting your posts would be a full-time job. But when someone who I don't think lives entirely in a world of fiction repeats a particularly ugly nugget of Southern-Revisionist history, I feel it's important to counter that belief with the facts. Why you think that position warrants a personal attack on me I am completely at a loss to fathom.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Actually the way I thought it was, was the North wouldn't do what the South told it to do so the South said okay I'm going to make my OWN club and you can't be in it and then the North said No, you ain't formin no damn club you're staying right here you little wussie. And then they got in a fight.

So the North and South were both telling each other what to do, depending on when you were asking.

But I might have gotten it wrong. It was either at a civil war reenactment or on the back of a cereal box.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Uh, Prof. Wags, relax.

I wasn't trying to be snarky at all. That wasn't a personal attack. Being the accuracy police is a good thing and I liked the point you made. You're part of the ecosystem here fer chissakes!

It isn't particularly important whether you like me or not. You can't be all bad if you play in a cartoon band and have the obscure cultural knowledge you display. Continue to swing a big blue pencil. It's only a rhetorical playground.

You should have chimed in two pages ago. Peace out.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:55 pm

BobArctor wrote:Police are also very different. The maids boyfriend at the Admiral Benbow Motel (1220 Union Ave., Memphis TN), stole my luggage and laptop in 1998. The responding officer (A. Craig, badge 443D), told me they didn't assign case numbers to such things. I wondered if the cops there could read and write. When Black folks started moving into Sun Prairie, the police force increased from 17 to 29 officers, almost overnight.

Yeah, cops in Memphis deal with so much crime, alot of it violent, that they have to prioritize. It's a good thing in terms of the fact that you really have to be doing something wrong or stupid to get messed with by the police there. You aren't gonna get grief for a loud stereo, being drunk or smoking a joint.

But then it sucks when you need the cops for something like what happened to you and they have little interest.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Wesmon wrote: Yeah, cops in Memphis deal with so much crime, alot of it violent, that they have to prioritize. It's a good thing in terms of the fact that you really have to be doing something wrong or stupid to get messed with by the police there. You aren't gonna get grief for a loud stereo, being drunk or smoking a joint.

But then it sucks when you need the cops for something like what happened to you and they have little interest.
Been a cabbie, process server, and legal witness for long enough my pulse rate doesn't change if I'm talking to uniforms. It's completely comfortable to use my spotlight in a cab to pull over a cop when some fool in the backseat becomes a problem.

The area around Graceland is kept nicely manicured and it's a surprise how dangerous that neighborhood is.

Several years ago, there was a huge anti-Klan march in Forsythe, GA. The federal law-enforcement academy used it as a training exercise for 500 cadets.

I ended up on the wrong side of the line and the cops wouldn't let me back. (Being a bubba in a levi outfit with a short red beard made me look like a local.) Got to see the GA state Patrol smash David Duk'e face into the pavement from thrity yards away. When a rally like that occurs, ALL police, federal, state, and local, become part of a "unified command."

The placement of the local deputies and constables was very interesting. They had been assigned to stand at parade rest, about twenty feet apart, on residential streets where there was just nothing happening. Those old boys would have likely been sympathetic to the Klan. Their placement was to keep them out of trouble and accounted for. That's smart.

Nobody has asked, but I still have that damed flag. It's going to be burned. When and where are now the questions.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:30 pm

BobArctor wrote:
Nobody has asked, but I still have that damed flag. It's going to be burned. When and where are now the questions.

Willy St. Fair. September 17. 3:00 p.m. behind the bubble machine. Your union brothers and sisters can form protective circle. . . . .
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Dulouz wrote:
BobArctor wrote:

Willy St. Fair. September 17. 3:00 p.m. behind the bubble machine. Your union brothers and sisters can form protective circle. . . . .

That's actually a splendid idea.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:34 pm

BobArctor wrote:I'll respectfully disagree that the Southern Swastika means anything less than 'White Power' at this point.

As usual, Bob is wrong.

The Klan just had a rally at Gettysburg. Both re-enactors and the Sons of Confederate Veterans were protesting the Klan's mis-use of the Confederate battle flag.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060903/ap_ ... ttysburg_2

Now we'll get to hear a tale of how the SCV sells cocaine in the basement of the Wisconsin Capitol, or something along those lines. :roll:
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines