MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Tomato the Nazis...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should the Nazis be welcomed with a barrage of locally grown Tomatoes?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes : 24

Postby berbo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:38 pm

Paco wrote:My prediction....18 Nazis, 300 cops, 800 counter-protestors and 5000 people with digital cameras wanting to get the perfect shot.

It doesn't have to be perfect - I can clean it up and photoshop Mark Green in later.
berbo
Forum Addict

Postby dtray2064 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:I put my money where my mouth is, pal. I donate to the Southern Poverty Law Center--the organization that runs Klan Watch. Maybe those of you concerned with "putting your money down" should sit down and cut a check when you're done marching.

That's great that you contribute. Maybe I should just stop working towards anything and just contribute money to various causes that will do it all for me. The SPLC is great and worthy of all types of donations, but I doubt that anybody there would encourage contributions over direct action.

Regardless, your comment is a non-sequiter. The SPLC won't even be there tomorrow.

Don't come. Let the nazi's prove that they are organized, motivated and serious. This is my community and I'll be there. Hope to see many great people there putting an end to a potential nazi trend in their community.
dtray2064
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:11 pm

berbo wrote:
Paco wrote:My prediction....18 Nazis, 300 cops, 800 counter-protestors and 5000 people with digital cameras wanting to get the perfect shot.

It doesn't have to be perfect - I can clean it up and photoshop Mark Green in later.

Don't forget John Gard!
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:44 pm

dtray2064 wrote:Don't come. Let the nazi's prove that they are organized, motivated and serious.

If you think this has yet to be proven, you're as naive as you are self-righteous.

And the fact you think monetary donations to advocacy groups and civil rights organizations are less important than pacing around shouting hackneyed slogans pretty much backs that up.

I'm not coming, thanks. And if you honestly think that sides me with the Klan or somehow furthers their cause ... well, then fuck you.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Some of us are hands, some brains, some sensory organs, and some assholes. It takes all those to make a full body. You want to oppose the Klan? These guys are going to leave town with the three idiot thugs they recruit.

I've addressed all this, many times.

8/17/06 elsewhere wrote:
Meet your local Ku Klux Klan representatives.

Terry Lee has bragged a dozen times of being in the Klan in my earshot. He has been a janitor at several of the bars. He's been a regular at Jerry's, Rick & Oles, Yesterdays, Wiggies, Locker Room, White House and so on.

Jim 'Spoon' Evans had a problem about twelve years ago when his kid wore daddy's "Invisible Empire KKK" shirt to Marquette Middle School. Remember when the Klan lit showed up in the racks at the Union Corner's Kohls store? He lived nearby on the dead-end of dayton, just east of Sixth. He was a bartender at Yesterday's, about the time the owner lost the joint to Scoop and a gambling habit. (Newbies, it's now the Inferno) Spoon was more recently tending at Haggerty's, which beached in a flurry of weasel dust and metro narks. Spoon has tended at a string of failed bars and is remembered at the Williy Bear with out-of-town klansmen.

Ben Scalisi is second-generation Klan. His daddy used to harrass Asians on the East side. A woman security guard told me how the local Klan used to attack her dad. (Her boyfriend shot her a few years ago, RIP sister.) Ben Scalisi tried to get a list of Asians in university housing, back in the early ninties. He asked cab drivers. We were creeped out. <snip>

The Klan is more than a racist group. They aren't generally conversant in economics, but they have strong opinions on social issues. They are violently anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-civil rights for anyone, and pro-gun. There is an odd tendency to use the Soviet flag as a symbol of insult.

Friends in the Sherman Park area have told me the neighborhood association there is a bit closed and secretive. Invites get delivered after the actual meeting and they talk in code a lot about the problem of having Black people living so close. That is the support group for Dorothy Bouchard and Mike Welling. There's your prototypical white citizen's council.

The loitering law proposal is absolutely designed to enable the cops to mess with Black people. It's racist in intent and application.

That's why the Loitering Law is going to be an issue at the anti-fascist rally on the 26th.

We aren't there to piss off ten klowns from Minnesota. We are there to make the connection between what these klowns are saying and the policies of the GOP candidates.

When the Klan literature showed up in the rack of Kohl's grocery a few years ago, all the media wet themselves making a stink about it. The likely candidate for the lit drop lived very publically, two blocks away. Another thread asks if news leads come from this forum. Any reporters have the nerve to follow this until your editors get threatening phone calls from advertisers? Try it.

Maybe we should look closer in our own yard when it isn't the newsy thing to do.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dtray2064 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
dtray2064 wrote:I'm not coming, thanks. And if you honestly think that sides me with the Klan or somehow furthers their cause ... well, then fuck you.

Speaking of donations, I need to donate a bale of hay to you. That way, you'll be able to keep making straw men arguments ('if you think X, then fuck you'. Well, I don't think X and never said I did).

I'd love to return the "fuck you" to you, since I haven't even used profanity towards you once during the discussion, but it seems pretty pointless. I'll be at the rally. I'd like to see others attend, you included, but I guess you're not so on-the-fence on this topic.

If you want to be a jerk to me, save it for when we meet... or use it against a member of a hate group. I've said what I wanted to.
dtray2064
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:30 pm

Too late, but a counter demonstration should have been organized at Library Mall. Encourage everyone to ignore the Nazis and show strength at the other end of State to send the message that what they have to say isn't even worth shouting down because there are a lot more of us who would rather spend our time rallying and encouraging diversity rather than allowing a small group of subdeveloped fuckwad bullies incite anger.

How sad it would be for those clowns if they threw a rally and no protesters showed. The crowning bit would be to release about 100,000 crickets on the capital grounds the night before so that when they are standing there the only competition they would have would be the sound of the little buggers chirping.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cory Schmidt » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:23 pm

BobArctor wrote:Seem to remember a Klan guy getting nailed by a thrown can of beans years ago at a Chicago rally. Strange.

Were they black beans? :wink:
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:46 pm

I'm three blocks east of the Square. When I saw the orange fence material and heard a zillion cops were going to be there, that sounded like trouble to me. My mailman said a line of sheriff's cars did a fast spin with sirens wailing, around the outer circle, around 11:00 A.M. I saw people walking away, around 1:30 P.M. Anybody got the poop on this, or do I have to wait til the evening news?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Damn. Can you pick some lotto numbers for me now?
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:48 pm

I went to the Farmers' Market around 11, and everything was as quiet as the market usually is. No cop cars circling the Square, no sirens. Barrels and fencing waiting to be utilized, plus some grumbling about the market closing early.

Left my purchases in the car and headed to brunch around noon. Still quiet, but the cops started blocking off the streets and directing traffic. A few people milling about and walking towards State.

1 PM, more activity. Lots of State Patrol folks in riot gear. Fencing all around the area where the thugs were going to speak. Counter protesters gathering, carrying signs. General public gathering to watch both sides. Many people thought it was supposed to start at 1 PM, so they were confused. Some thought Nazis were a no show. Cops told me rally was scheduled for 2 PM.

I didn't wander down to State Street side of Square until the event was actually under way. Right on cue, rain. That seems about right. People hoping PA system of thugs shorts out. Rain didn't stop either side from making lots of noise. Rain was pretty short.

Couldn't really understand what either side was saying, but easier to understand the counter protesters on the street. They were mostly shouting, "Fuck You!" and giving the thugs the finger.

Tons of cops. State Patrol stationed about every 15 feet between the fencing that surrounds the thugs and the sidewalk where everyone else were standing. All law enforcement except the State cops looked pretty relaxed, but alert.

At some point there was some hubbub at the intersection of W Wash and the Square. Lots of cops ran that way, but I never found out what happened.

About eight guys in pink bunny suits came walking through. They got lots of applause and thumbs up. People turned away from the thugs speech to watch them file through. Look for photos of giant pink rabbits on the news!

Sign with pictures of the Blues Brothers and text reading, "Jake and Elwood: Where are you when we need you?" was my other favorite moment.

I got bored an left about 2:30.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Aubrey McFate » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:18 pm

roadkill bill wrote:I got bored an left about 2:30.

I stuck it out until 3:15, but you didn't miss much.
Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:44 pm

I still can't believe they entered to the strains of Ride of the Valkyries. I was just aching to see a Pinto fall from the sky.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:14 pm

I've heard that music before, where's it from...Star Wars??

2 best "overheard at the Nazi rally" lines:
1) Some shirtless guy about 22, "Hey Nazi's, why don't you kill yourself like Hitler did!

2) Mother, father, son & girlfriend from out of town, maybe out of country: "It's a shame the first time you come here, this has to be happening."

Nice to see the operations guys gave them the shittiest sound system in the midwest.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:27 pm

We hung in there until around 4. Boring their opponents to death is a more effective tactic than blitzkrieg, because the crowd was starting to dwindle.

We walked to our car, which was at the Lake St. garage, and I think the whole thing was wrapping up when we passed downtown on E. Johnson, we could see a number of people walking away from the center of the "action."

I didn't see much that wasn't already posted here. The bunny suit guys were a hoot. There were a few nazi supporters in the crowd where I was, but relations were generally civil between them and the regular humans. There was a girl who "sieg heiled" a few times, and shouted back at some of the crowd folks but not a lot else. She and another protester went back & forth (verbally) a bit, but no catfights ensued. There were some guys that I think were nazis there, but they were mellow. I even talked with one about the number of coffee shops on State. No, I didn't go into where the coffee beans came from. If he came to support the nazi group, a Fair Trade lecture from me wasn't going to change his mind. The skinhead-looking guys all laughed when we shouted "Pink Bunny Power!" so I guess they were some of the softies of the group...

Not to discount the sickness that this belief system is in our society, but the overall spectacle of the thing was pretty interesting. Lots of geared-up police, and several on horseback. Many were stationary while others roved in regimented groups around the Capital area. At one point one of them went around and lowered the face shields of a couple others - made me wonder if he'd heard something was going on or was about to. No action, though, fortunately.

There were some officers with binocs on top of one of the tall buildings. Not sure if there were actual snipers, but I think a couple had riot helmets so I imagine there were. That's a more exciting story, so I'm stickin' to it.

Madison.com reported 5 arrests. Not bad for the number of people, I suppose, but a totally clean slate would have been a lot better. Hopefully the bastards will go back to wherever they came from and never return.
altcountryman

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines