MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Attack of the Clone Burgers

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The FDA has recently approved the sale of meat from cloned animals. Would you eat it?

Yes, cloned meat is the same as the other stuff. Get over it.
46%
No, the idea of cloned meat is just plain icky.
18%
I don't eat meat, so I don't care.
No votes
I don't eat meat, but I still think this is a sick idea.
4%
I approve of the idea, but I think all cloned food products should be so labeled so that consumers can choose wisely.
32%

Total votes : 28

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 am

whew. Well, i'll try to address as much as I can.

I think the most important thing you're asking is: what are GMO naysayers doing to solve world hunger besides just bitching and moaning? (very important question, by the way). Here's what I would say:

-promoting sustainable farming methods like crop rotation and sustainable pest controls(like the occassional use of BT), as well as preserving genetic diversity so farmers 100 years from now won't be shit out of luck.

-promoting sustainable and sometime cooperative economic models that help subsistance farms, not agri-business.

-promoting crops for use in the region they are grown(and not for export). We certainly already have enough food to feed the world; it's just that transport and distribution isn't working.

And you're right, when I bad-mouth Norm, I am generalizing, lumping him into the GMO movement. I shouldn't be doing that.

As far as sources, this is where you really got me, cause I'm getting all my info from conversations I've had with my wife, who, as you know, for the last year has been interviewing farmers in Mexico and Canada(where they have a very different GMO problem) and writing a book on all this stuff. Can I qoute my wife? Or is that academically unsound? Anyway, perhaps this is best left for a drunken debate next time we're all out at a show.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 am

supereightsnate wrote:promoting sustainable farming methods ...
promoting sustainable and sometime cooperative economic models ...
prmoting crops ...

That's a lot of promoting - and of good stuff (a lot of it, Norm would agree with, btw.)
But while others "promote", the work done by Norm continues to actually feed people.
I guess I just can't stress that enough.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:24 pm

OK, here's an example of promotion: for x-mas, the wife's folks donated a pig to a village mexico via an NGO. Pigs are good sustainable ag cause they eat shit that humans can't, produce decent fertilizer, and have tons of babies, and are a great source of, well, protein. We also had the chance to donate rabbits(huge litters, live off of grass, produce super fertilizer), but having pet rabbits, we had to abstain.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 pm

supereightsnate wrote:OK, here's an example of promotion: for x-mas, the wife's folks donated a pig to a village mexico via an NGO. Pigs are good sustainable ag cause they eat shit that humans can't, produce decent fertilizer, and have tons of babies, and are a great source of, well, protein. We also had the chance to donate rabbits(huge litters, live off of grass, produce super fertilizer), but having pet rabbits, we had to abstain.

Did you guys go through Heifer International, or someone else?

I took a bunch of my unexpected X-mas bonus and donated a goat in my parents' name.

So - you're on notice, unnamed third worlders! You'd best be good to my ma's goat!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Quite uncharacteristic of you, Marvell--letting someone get your goat like that.

Ba-dump!
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:09 pm

"What did they used to call it? The 'Judas Goat?'"

- Zefram Cochran
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velveeta » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Velveeta wrote:The FDA will not even comprehensively test our meat for Mad Cow Disease, so can we trust them on this?

Whether it's harmful to my body or not, I will not be consuming cloned animals if I can help it.

Speaking of Mad Cow... I heard a bit on NPR this week about cloned cows that were engineered for immunity to BSE. Results so far suggest success, though researchers won't know for sure until later in the year if the cows are really immune. If I heard right, one of the researchers said he wouldn't pay the extra cost for meat from one of his engineered cows, because the risk of Kreutzfeld-Jacob is so low.

There are tons of stories about it online; here's AP's on CNN.com.

That article has a funny contradiction in it:

'"At the moment we don't have a high threat of BSE," said Val Giddings, a scientist who consults with biotechnology companies. "But if BSE were ever to become a problem, this could turn out to be a good technological fix to it."

...Since three cows in the United States were diagnosed with BSE beginning in December 2003, most labs order their cow serum from New Zealand.

END QUOTE

So, a scientist says there isn't a very high threat of BSE in the US, but labs are getting there cow serum from New Zealand, just to be safe. You know, just to be safe, maybe I should get my hamburgers from New Zealand.

I was just saying that IF there was anything unsafe about cloned beef, it would be doubtful that we would hear about it because it is in the best interest of the industry that this product come to market.
Velveeta
Forum Addict

Postby Scooterboy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:14 am

emmy wrote:
"Ungelded bulls"??? Where the hell did you get THAT term from??? ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!! ANY bull is "ungelded" if he HAS been castrated, he's a "steer".
And turning a bull into a field of cows is very dangerous, and does nothing at all for genetic improvement. And "meat products" i.e. bone meal, isn't fed to cattle anymore either.

Jayzuz! So's I made a mistake!. I ain't no farmer. But I had to walk through the fields to get to my gaff. And I had to walk well round the bull with the big feckin' balls and the nosering. The farmer told me that if the bull ever charged at me, all I had to do was grab the ring and twist. Now that's not so easy after 5 or 6 pints of lager.

I can say for certain that the milk and meat there tastes better than the milk and meat here, despite their farming practices not keeping with 21st Century American norms.
Scooterboy

Postby emmy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Now THAT would be a sight!! I'd like to see someone grab a bull's ring WHILE he's charging you! Ever seen a bullfight? A rodeo? They don't exactly come prancing at you with their nose up in the air so you can grab their ring!! That farmer was pullin' your leg. You're lucky you got out alive. The bull must've had something else on his mind, or was bein' lazy. If he wanted to, he'd have ripped you up pretty good. Grab his ring...that's a good one...I bet that farmer's still chuckling to himself. :lol:
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines