MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, March 4, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Enemies Among Us

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Enemies Among Us

Postby acereraser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Glenn Beck is finally successful, but I doubt it will be the only time. Of course, I am speaking of his success in inspiring people to shoot cops when they get in the way of Beck's Progressive Hunt.

Words do have consequences, especially when you spread vitriol with less restraint than Warner Bros. gave Yosemite Sam.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 am

Uncle George's Media Matters? Try again.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 am

Ned, you're still a massive tool.

Perhaps luckily for Glenn Beck, the gunman, Byron Williams, is saying that he was not inspired to violence specifically by Beck. Turns out Beck wasn't quite extreme enough for him.

He also said he felt forced to act out in violence because Beck and others in the right wing media were not fighting hard enough against organizations like the left-leaning Tides Foundation.

He said he was unhappy with the direction the Obama administration has taken the country and vowed to kill 11 people at the foundation, and possibly more after that.

When asked if it hadn’t been for Glenn Beck and Fox News, whether he still would have planned violence, Williams said that it was because Fox News didn’t do enough to pursue the political left that he became frustrated and felt like violence was the only answer.

The freeway gunman said, “I’m actually mad at Fox. I’m mad at them because they go on to something else. It’s like they drop the issue and it lands on a shelf somewhere to collect dust. And that’s what’s happening to the truth. It’s going out and collecting dust. I say you’re not going to let these people get away with this stuff. You can’t let them get away with it. So this was my action because of Fox’s neglect.”

Quite obviously, however, he was influenced by Beck's fear and conspiracy mongering.

Keep it up, Fox. This particular nutcase-fan of yours only injured a couple of cops. A few more months of encouraging the paranoid and unstable should get a shooting spree in your name.
Last edited by ilikebeans on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 am

Ned Flanders wrote:FOX News didn't report it, so it can't be true.

Fix't.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Uncle George's Media Matters? Try again.

"If you’re too young to know who Spiro T. Agnew was, he was Richard Nixon’s first vice president who helped millions of Americans become familiar with the “nolo contendere” plea. He was not exactly widely revered for his wisdom."
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Uncle George's Media Matters? Try again.

You're really worried about George Soros, aren't you?

You and Byron Williams have a lot in common:

From the article:
the conspiracy theory that drove him over the edge: an intricate plot involving Barack Obama, philanthropist George Soros, a Brazilian oil company, and the BP disaster.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010110002
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Isn't blaming Beck for the actions of a lunatic just as dopey as blaming Judas Priest for teen suicide or video games for violence?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Isn't blaming Beck for the actions of a lunatic just as dopey as blaming Judas Priest for teen suicide or video games for violence?

I would say no because the person in question actually said they did this because they heard Beck say things. The teen suicide thing was parents saying that was the cause after the fact.

Maybe I'm wrong on the string of events with the Judas Priest thing.

Comparing what artists say in lyrics, poems, or paintings to what pundits say on the TV is kind of ridiculous.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Isn't blaming Beck for the actions of a lunatic just as dopey as blaming Judas Priest for teen suicide or video games for violence?

Well, the charge of "incitement to violence" is pretty specific, I think. That said, maybe it's a bit dopey to pin this on Beck. But ...

I know you're familiar with the Priest's work, Wags. How familiar are you with Beck's? I try not to pay attention to the turd-fondler myself, but the quotes I've heard that are relevant to this event are pretty blatantly disgusting and way over the line, particularly when you consider they're being broadcast on a self-proclaimed "news network" or whatever Fox is calling itself these days.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 pm

I don't blame Beck for the attempted murder, but I do think its relevant that he appeals to the homicidally insane.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote: whatever Fox is calling itself these days.

I believe the term is #1.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 am

Ned Flanders wrote:

Smells like #2.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:

Smells like #2.

I belive that's Keith Olbermann's over-ripe depends you're smelling
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 am

Stebben84 wrote:Comparing what artists say in lyrics, poems, or paintings to what pundits say on the TV is kind of ridiculous.

Is it really? I think it takes a rather "talented artist" to sufficiently skew the truth to reflect your beliefs and still be able to get people to believe it. Although I think it speaks more of the audience than the presenter.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 pm

jman111 wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Comparing what artists say in lyrics, poems, or paintings to what pundits say on the TV is kind of ridiculous.

Is it really? I think it takes a rather "talented artist" to sufficiently skew the truth to reflect your beliefs and still be able to get people to believe it. Although I think it speaks more of the audience than the presenter.

I think it is true that the audience is the culpable person in the matter, but the way that artists present their work versus a pundit is very different.

I do believe TRUTHS can be subjective. The way it is presented is my point. A pundit will most certainly skew the truth so that it fits with their ideology. I would definitely lump all political parties in this as well. It's the reason I've stopped watching all political television pundits. They are sensationalists.

I do believe artists(many, but not all cause anyone can call themselves an artist) have more integrity than that. It's why they are artists and not pundits or politicians.

How many people have come out and said they killed because an ARTIST told them to. The Judas Priest incident was the parents saying their kid did this, not the kid. These incidents are prolly out there, I'm just not thinking of any as I write this.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines