MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

It's the Sunnis...stupid!

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

It's the Sunnis...stupid!

Postby goofticket » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:00 pm

A new NIE, National Intelligence Report was released Friday Feb 16, 2007 on IRaq. Many newspapers are reporting it today.

Over 90% of all US deaths are directly from Sunni attacks, not Shiites, not Iran, not Al Qaieda...the Sunnis.
The Saudis have publicly stated they are financially supporting the Sunni ( ie: Baathist) insurgents.
The NIE stated the Saudis have spent more money in Iraq, than Osama did in his entire time with Al Qaieda.

Seems that the Bushies are yet again, stupid.
That's really supporting the troops....not confronting the Saudis.

Do a google and go find it yourself.
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Yawn.

Another Friday, another government report excoriating the Bush administration.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby goofticket » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:03 am

Marvell wrote:Yawn.

Another Friday, another government report excoriating the Bush administration.

You frgot one big point...released after the 5PM news cycle.

Not a good report though, seems the intel agnecies are not going to tow the party line of this. It basically said.
The surge is a lost cause, and cannot succeed, even under the best possible conditions

So, lets wait until time runs out, again,,,and get a whole new plan to do it all over again, and again, and again.

The next time the nation needs troops for some lame GOP wack plan, we will see the 'cry wolf' of reality.
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby AlphaLiberal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Dude, got a link? Quote from the report?

Glad you pointed this out. Hwoever, you missed an opportunity to slam the lapdog, braindead talking heads who can't put two and two together and get four.

Based on this news and their support for the Sunis, Bush should attack Saudi Arabia with the same single-minded zeal he attacked Iran. Beacuse he really cares about protecitng the troops, right? (har har)
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby goofticket » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 am

AlphaLiberal wrote:Dude, got a link? Quote from the report?

Glad you pointed this out. Hwoever, you missed an opportunity to slam the lapdog, braindead talking heads who can't put two and two together and get four.

Based on this news and their support for the Sunis, Bush should attack Saudi Arabia with the same single-minded zeal he attacked Iran. Beacuse he really cares about protecitng the troops, right? (har har)

It's out there, as I showed in the post.
I've given up leading the neocon's, by the hand to every little link or report.
A National Intelligence Estimate is an easy thing to find on the net.

I'm taking the neocon approach to links.
They say prove it!
I say, disprove me.
LOL
goofticket
Forum Addict

Re: It's the Sunnis...stupid!

Postby Leoburt » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:40 pm

goofticket wrote:A new NIE, National Intelligence Report was released Friday Feb 16, 2007 on IRaq. Many newspapers are reporting it today.

Over 90% of all US deaths are directly from Sunni attacks, not Shiites, not Iran, not Al Qaieda...the Sunnis.
The Saudis have publicly stated they are financially supporting the Sunni ( ie: Baathist) insurgents.
The NIE stated the Saudis have spent more money in Iraq, than Osama did in his entire time with Al Qaieda.

Two things: 1.Al Qaeda is nominally a Sunni Muslim organization. 2. Sunni does not equal Baathist. (Most if not all Baathists were Sunni, but not all Iraqi Sunni are Baathists, not by a long shot.)

You're absolutely right, however, that Bush and co. are desperately trying to tie Iran to the insurgency and that link is just not there. The ironic part of this is that Iraq's "government" is predominantly Shi'ite, and they are running anti-Sunni death squads. The "insurgents" are by-and-large Sunnis. So there's a horrible cycle of violence in full swing from both sides. (The sectarian setup here is actually not dissimilar to that in Rwanda during the genocide. I'd explain, but I'd have to go on forever. Let's just say "colonial conquest-by-division-and-minority-rule, followed by a minority dictatorship, followed by tyranny of the majority and unimaginable sectarian bloodletting."

I couldn't find the actual text of the NIE, so I can't confirm the part about Saudi support for the insurgents. I wouldn't be surprised if Saudis were funding the insurgency, but I'd be skeptical of claims that the actual government of Saudi Arabia was funding the insurgency.

I don't want to say that the insurgents would reject any money or arms that they were given, but it turns out that they don't need support: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/world/middleeast/26insurgency.html?ex=1322197200&en=1bd1f805c30e2ae2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
The insurgency is funding itself through oil smuggling and kidnapping for ransom. Anbar province is incredibly difficult to pacify because it is the primary smuggling route into Jordan and, perhaps, Syria.
Leoburt

Postby goofticket » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:11 am

There is one major funding cource, for all the insurgents.
The US government, shoveling money into whomever's hand are open.

While the neocons, can only take an all or nothing stance, which to them is spun as;
if you cannot prove that 100% of all funding for insurgents comes from one source. It does not exist. It's the same claim for global warming. If humans aren't 100% responsible, it is not getting warmer.

The point is, the civil war in Iraq is not going away, and it is not being addressed for what it is.
Bush & Co are going to play the denial role until his term is over.

Al-Qaieda is a very small, insignificant part of the bigger picture in Iraq. Everybody knows this except Bush.
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby Mike S. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:48 am

It's possible to beat the Sunnis, sure. It will just take the help of those staunchest allies of the Republican Party, the Iranian Red Guards. Remember... the deal was to sell them arms to get secret money for Contras in Nicaragua? And before that to promise them arms sales if only they would not release those American hostages until after Carter lost the election. And now they are the main Iraqi police, and in their off-time they do the things that even American soldiers won't, like executing hundreds of civilians. But instead of announcing that they have a winning strategy to chase the Iraqi Sunni civilians all the way to Syria, Bush keeps hinting by proxies that he wants a war with Iran. And the Republicans accuse Democrats of trying to sap our morale?
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby goofticket » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Everyone knows it's not about supporting the troops, or some mrale thing or whatever avoidance is being spouted by the GOPeer in front of a camera.

The troops want to come home, they know they shouldn't be playing beat cop in Iraq, and everyone else knows that.

But the Dems have to make sure, once we do leave, all hell isn't going to break loose. And that is going to take the region to help avoid.
But Bush stands in the corner, with his arms crossed, scowling and acting like a friggin five year old.

We have to wait a bit.
goofticket
Forum Addict

Return to Headlines