MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bassackwards war protest at Obey's office

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Bassackwards war protest at Obey's office

Postby Madcity Expat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:46 pm

What the f*?k is wrong with these people?!? Obey is one of the good guys. If you want to pressure Obey to vote a certain way then write him a damn constituent letter. If you want to protest the war, target someone who supports it. Who are these clueless morons?

War protesters arrested for occupying Obey's office
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bassackwards war protest at Obey's office

Postby The Tolerator » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:What the f*?k is wrong with these people?!? Obey is one of the good guys. If you want to pressure Obey to vote a certain way then write him a damn constituent letter. If you want to protest the war, target someone who supports it. Who are these clueless morons?

War protesters arrested for occupying Obey's office

I'll bet Chuck could conduct a seminar on how to write that letter.
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 am

The three were part of the group led by former Green Party congressional candidate Mike Miles, who met Monday afternoon with a member of U.S. Rep. David Obey's staff and called on Obey to be a stronger opponent of the war.

Well, there you go. They're Green Party. They don't have a problem with Republicans, only Democrats.

But Dave Obey [url="David Obey (D-Wisconsin)"
http://usliberals.about.com/od/liberall ... Vote_2.htm]voted against the war[/url] and has been vocal against it.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:23 pm

AlphaLiberal wrote:Well, there you go. They're Green Party. They don't have a problem with Republicans, only Democrats.

Yea, I saw that too. I was just ranting. Seriously, as ranking member of the House Appropriations Cmte he was a major thorn in the side of the GOP while they ruled the roost. Now he chairs Appropriations. He played a major role in facilitating Peloci's "100 Hours" legislation. Watching him shout down griping Republicans on CSPAN in the first couple weeks of this Congress was a freeking joy.

And yes, he has consistently and fiercely opposed Bush's War from the beginning.

Those Green Party dipshits deserve a foot up their ass.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby goofticket » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:51 am

This is in nearly every Congressional office all over the country.
Can you imagine what they are doing with some of the protesters in some district offices, say like really conservative areas in the South?
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:07 pm

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2007/03/do-house-democrats-want-to-end-war-or_06.html

You guys may wanna hightail it over to Howie Klein's blog and lay some smack on him. Chuck Schick, this means you (pretty please).

Why? Klein is claiming that (much of) Wisconsin's Congressional delegation is bought and paid for by Jack Abramoff. And is equating Ron Kind & Dave Obey with Petri & Paul Ryan.

From Klein:
Today's CongressDaily makes it abundantly clear why there's no progress from Congress on Iraq. The Democratic proposals, instead of being formulated by Members who actually want to extricate us from Bush's hideous and failed quagmire-- and there are many-- are being "handled" by Members with long and consistent records of support for all of the Bush Regime's and the Neocons' worst policies in the Middle East, hacks and shills like Steny Hoyer (MD), Dave Obey (WI) and Steve Israel (NY).

Dave Obey, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee-- always a position that should give one pause (at least in order to secure one's wallet and other valuables)-- has a proposal. His Iraq voting record makes me, as someone who opposes Bush's policies, somewhat suspicious. Obey has voted with Bush and the hard right Republicans 9 times on Iraq roll calls between October 10, 2002 (H.J. Res. 114) and May 25, 2005.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:19 pm

What's more, these guys--Klein, Jane Hamsher, and a set of bloggers and activists (who were VERY effective at using YouTube and internet video against Joe Lieberman)--seem to be setting their sights on Dave Obey.

Video is already up here:
http://www.firedoglake.com/2007/03/09/scooter-libby-is-not-a-good-man-and-other-thoughts/#respond

Obey loses it, because he's already on their side, and passionately, is rushing to a meeting, and actually sponsored the first bill that would allow a vote on setting a timetable for withdrawal. Oddly enough, Obey thinks cutting off funding for the troops is political suicide and reckless. Imagine.

Obey doesn't have the votes--so they'd be better off squeezing other Congressfolk to come over to Obey's side.

Obey's actually pretty funny: he opens his coat up and ask 'em "Do you see a magic want?!?" And tells 'em 'they must be smoking something illegal."

Not the response they got from Lieberman.

But then, these guys never had the gall to ambush Lieberman in the halls of Congress (they did that elsewhere). But apparently Obey's fair game.

Obey's already got an apology up on his homepage:
http://obey.house.gov/HoR/WI07/Newsroom/Press+Releases/StatementFromCongressmanObey.htm

Seriously, though. Very interested in what forons think of this. And a clash between the netroots and David Obey would be a very destructive thing. I don't mind them going after the DLC, compromisers, or triangulators who're afraid to vote against the war.

But Dave Obey is none of those things.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:43 pm

Waitaminnit... The netroots are going after Dave Obey? Are you kidding me? (This is what I get for not populating DKos anymore)

Only our two superbabes Moore and Baldwin rate lower on The American Conservative Union's 2006 Congressional ratings. And PS, liberal netroots, that low score's a good thing. Like golf.

And I'm glad to see, in my cursory research, that there's a strong sentiment of defense for Obey on DailyKos.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Waitaminnit... The netroots are going after Dave Obey? Are you kidding me? (This is what I get for not populating DKos anymore)

Only our two superbabes Moore and Baldwin rate lower on The American Conservative Union's 2006 Congressional ratings. And PS, liberal netroots, that low score's a good thing. Like golf.

And I'm glad to see, in my cursory research, that there's a strong sentiment of defense for Obey on DailyKos.

Nice to see DailyKos posters are correcting the attacks. Howie Klein, though, did a real calculated smear job mis-characterizing multiple, separate aspects relating to David Obey. His character, his record, contributions from tribes that Klein implied meant Obey was part of Abramoff's corruption, etc.

firedoglake also posted the video of Obey blowing up.

These guys are prone to go wayy overboard, to the point of trying to paint Obey as a "hack and a shill," and lumping him with the likes of outright right-wingers. If you didn't know better, you'd think he was Tom DeLay.

You'd think he was
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 am

One should assume that the "Green" part of the "Green Party" is a reference to the money from the Republicans that are funding their operations.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:47 am

Fucking Greens. There should be a law against throwing away a vote.

For real, can't we outlaw these posers who pretend to be a real political party? Our country gets by perfectly fine with the two major parties. If you can't support either the Democrats or Republicans, then you're on the fringe and won't be able to muster any votes anyways, so why waste everybody's time?

A vote is too valuable to allow someone to just throw it away. Why should people who have no chance of winning be allowed to clutter up our ballots?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 pm

goofticket wrote:This is in nearly every Congressional office all over the country.
Can you imagine what they are doing with some of the protesters in some district offices, say like really conservative areas in the South?

You mean offices of folks who actually support the Bush Admin?

I already said, seriously, Obey is one the good guys. He doesn't deserve this shit. I guess there is indeed a "looney left" if there is an organized movement targeting someone like Obey. In my youth, I used to think of myself as something of a radical - but if these folks are the "left" I don't want anything to do with them.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Fucking Greens. There should be a law against throwing away a vote.

For real, can't we outlaw these posers who pretend to be a real political party? Our country gets by perfectly fine with the two major parties. If you can't support either the Democrats or Republicans, then you're on the fringe and won't be able to muster any votes anyways, so why waste everybody's time?

A vote is too valuable to allow someone to just throw it away. Why should people who have no chance of winning be allowed to clutter up our ballots?

I have no objection to third-parties in principle. I only object to them if they're a gaggle of frothing, self-destructive idiots - as the Green Party seems to be.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Fucking Greens. There should be a law against throwing away a vote.

Isn't this just saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vote, at all?

Isn't that the point of having a country called America? So people can vote for whom they choose? Or not at all? Or vote a straight Pail & Shovel ticket? Or, yes, throw their votes away? Like Republicans?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines