MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

SEX OFFENDER LICENSE PLATES

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

SEX OFFENDER LICENSE PLATES

Postby blunt » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:25 am

I want one!!!

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am

That may have edged out Talon Newsman's code post for Post of the Day.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Green!-and right before St Patricks day too
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby e40-asel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:31 am

So, what does everyone really think of the idea? Is it a good idea, or bad?
e40-asel

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 am

e40-asel wrote:So, what does everyone really think of the idea? Is it a good idea, or bad?

Sex offenders aren't all loners; some have families. A license plate like that will probably deter junior from asking to use the car for his next hot date.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 am

As a Blondie fan, can I get one that says "X-OFFNDR?"

That would kick ass.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 am

If this gets approved, can we then move onto the ultimate punishment for taggers?

I propose that convicted Taggers should be forced to get the most ridiculous/hideous/designed by a grade schooler tattoo on their face.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 am

I was hoping they'd come up with a color that goes better with a purple jumpsuit.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:09 am

I generally don't have a problem with identifying potentially dangerous offenders, but I have two problems with this: 1. There are quite a few individuals who are on the sex offender registry because they were 18 and had sex with their 16 or 17 year old girlfriend and her parents pushed for prosecution under statutory rape charges. 2. How long do you think it will be before some vigilante pops off someone with a green liscense plate?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:58 am

white_rabbit wrote:I generally don't have a problem with identifying potentially dangerous offenders, but I have two problems with this: 1. There are quite a few individuals who are on the sex offender registry because they were 18 and had sex with their 16 or 17 year old girlfriend and her parents pushed for prosecution under statutory rape charges.

This is a valid point. A better punishment for folks in this category would be to slap 'em with a bumper sticker reading, "I'M FUCKING YOUR HONOR STUDENT."

I have yet to understand what this legislation accomplishes other than fomenting yet more fear about sex offenders run amok. What, are you going to tell your kids not to climb into strangers' cars if they have green plates? Oh, those other strangers? They're okay.

Before anyone calls me on it, I'm being facetious. But I do think this is retarded legislation. Is the goal to assuage all fears of all parents everywhere? "Just slap a tag on 'em and then I know I can keep my kids safe without having to talk to them about anything that might make me uncomfortable."

Let's bear in mind that the vast majority of sex offenders are known to the victim and/or victim's parents, and are often not listed in CCAP.

How about we educate our kids to navigate the real fuckin' world and not try to pretend we can just stick a big Mr. Yuck sticker over every last potential hazard?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cristobal » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:00 am

white_rabbit wrote:I generally don't have a problem with identifying potentially dangerous offenders, but I have two problems with this: 1. There are quite a few individuals who are on the sex offender registry because they were 18 and had sex with their 16 or 17 year old girlfriend and her parents pushed for prosecution under statutory rape charges. 2. How long do you think it will be before some vigilante pops off someone with a green liscense plate?

They should put the code they were convicted of on the plate. Are they guilty of first-degree sexual assualt of a child or indecent exposure? Perhaps they could use emoticons: ->():( and /oo

I'm less afraid of some dude convicted of whacking off in a phone booth than the child rapist though arguably one might tend toward the other...

Cristobal
cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:15 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:Let's bear in mind that the vast majority of sex offenders are known to the victim and/or victim's parents, and are often not listed in CCAP.

FYI, there is a Wisconsin online sex offender registry.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:FYI, there is a Wisconsin online sex offender registry.

I guess that's what I meant. And I guess that's what I get for just living my life and not cowering in a corner worrying about every last bad thing that could happen to me and mine.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:40 am

Chuck_Schick wrote: A better punishment for folks in this category would be to slap 'em with a bumper sticker reading, "I'M FUCKING YOUR HONOR STUDENT."

Ooo...thanks for the bumper sticker idea, "MY EAST HIGH DROP-OUT IS BANGING YOUR WEST HIGH HONOR STUDENT".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:FYI, there is a Wisconsin online sex offender registry.

I guess that's what I meant. And I guess that's what I get for just living my life and not cowering in a corner worrying about every last bad thing that could happen to me and mine.

I'm of the same mind as you. As someone in corrections, I have first-hand experience with a LOT of sex offenders. I am fully in favor of civil commitment, if the case can be made for continuing danger to society. I am not, however, in favor of continuing to treat sex offenders differently once they've been released.

If they're still a threat, keep them confined. If they're fit to be released to the community, treat them like any other released felon. Rapists and murderers aren't treated like lepers in society (at least insofar as the community isn't notified by bullhorn any time they go by), and they're probably just as likely to reoffend since their crimes involve poverty and need, rather than impulse and convenience. (yes, I'm generalizing)

The website, eh. I can take it or leave it. The license plates and community notification? No. That's too much.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines