MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

SEX OFFENDER LICENSE PLATES

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:40 pm

Bingo. Thanks for voicing so eloquently what I'd like to have said.

It's just that hysteria for hysteria's sake really brings out the smartass in me.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:41 pm

What about the sex offenders that don't drive, or don't own a car?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:What about the sex offenders that don't drive, or don't own a car?

Now c'mon. How could such a pedestrian be any kind of threat?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:48 pm

These plates sound like they'd be all sorts of fun. First, like everyone else on Earth you don't want a sex offender living in your neighborhood, so if one gets put there, you steal his plate, then report to the cops that he's driving around without one. Then, if there's some other chump you don't like you follow him when he takes his kid to the roller rink, then you put the plate on his car and then point it out to some big guys in the parking lot. If and when that guy recovers from the tire irons, the pedo should just be getting his new license plate in the mail...

Actually, I have this weird notion that ghetto gangstas will be stealing the things to put on their cars as a status symbol, perhaps with some painted naked lady silhouettes just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea. I also think the idea is mostly academic because by the time we get through with them the pedoes (pedos?) won't have cars, legitimate housing, jobs, or anything else to mark them in the above-ground world - they'll just spend every day hiding in relatives' basements watching Agent Cody Banks and peeping out the window at the neighbors' kids with the binoculars. A splendid plan for law enforcement, rehabilitation, and protecting the public, really!

I don't understand why they haven't started sentencing these people to internal exile (like in the old Soviet Union).
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:What about the sex offenders that don't drive, or don't own a car?

Indeed. There would be so many ways around this; it's another legislative waste of time. But I'm sure it will please any number of fear-mongers.

What I want to know is when will state legislators have distinctly marked license plates on their vehicles so I know who to run off the road...
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:04 pm

Again: I'm one of the kitsch freaks that actually wants one.
But as for actual sex offenders?
I think they'll walk.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:18 pm

So a sex offender lives next door. How's the license plate going to help? I can just picture the car in the driveway, with the telltale license plate clearly visible to all who pass by. That would certainly decrease the value of nearby properties.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:50 pm

And whatever happened to that trend of years past? You know, when sickos all self-identified by suction-cupping those little yellow diamonds to their rear windshields with the words "Pervert On Board" writ large for all to see.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Those listed on the sex offender registry are on for life. Why not just a tattoo on the forehead?

Any suggestions?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Would they still be able to apply for personalized plates?

A few come to mind:

NOTGLTY
BADLOYR
IMDNME
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Mike S. wrote:Actually, I have this weird notion that ghetto gangstas will be stealing the things to put on their cars as a status symbol, perhaps with some painted naked lady silhouettes just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea.

Yeah.... no.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27 pm

see, if i was a high school kid, i would hunt one down and put it on a school bus or the superintendent's car as a senior prank.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Korrigan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:07 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Would they still be able to apply for personalized plates?

Personalized plates?

What about:

* packers plates
* amateur radio plates
* veteran's plates
* anti-child-abuse plates
* volunteer fire/EMT plates
* disabled plates
* choose life plates

Maybe in Madison they could have bright green bicycle permit stickers, too!

Honestly, aren't most kids are trained about not getting in cars with strangers? It's the pedophiles popping up in less-expected places that seem to pose the most threat (on the bus, at home, in church, in the produce section).
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby comte buffon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:51 pm

Would it serve as a deterrent? That is, if people knew they would be publicly ostracized, would some think twice before committing certain crimes?
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:41 pm

comte buffon wrote:Would it serve as a deterrent? That is, if people knew they would be publicly ostracized, would some think twice before committing certain crimes?

Let's not mince words. When you say "certain crimes," to what specific crimes are you referring? And how do you think that this particular expression of public scorn would serve to trigger shame in those whose actions are already driven by deep psychological defects?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines